GDT: UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
This has me thinking, outside of Stipe's wrestling, most of the heavyweights on the roster are just a bunch of strikers. Jones has a good chance of doing well in this division if he keeps grappling with everyone.

Blaydes is the best wrestler near the top of the division. I would put him over Stipe at this present time.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't care that it shouldn't happen. Jones-Stipe is the fight to make. Jones isn't rolling through Stipe like that. He might win, but Stipe's going to at least give him a fight.

Hopefully Francis goes and gets paid in boxing and then comes back in December to fight the winner of Jones-Stipe. Either way, it would be a massive fight.

Blaydes is the best wrestler near the top of the division. I would put him over Stipe at this present time.
Blaydes is by far the best wrestler in the division, but Stipe is the only one who's close to being as well rounded as Jones.

Reactions: 1specter and CDJ

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Stipe should be a much tougher stylistic matchup for Jones, but the dude looked absolutely decrepit against Ngannou and that was 2 years ago. Hard to imagine he'll have much to offer at this point.

Shit division.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Even if Gane did improve his grappling, there's a giant difference in the grappling skills of Ngannou and Jones. One camp was never going to be enough for him to improve in that area.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Stipe should be a much tougher stylistic matchup for Jones, but the dude looked absolutely decrepit against Ngannou and that was 2 years ago. Hard to imagine he'll have much to offer at this point.

Shit division.
People were saying the same thing about Jones. That he was declining at LHW and it's been 3 years, new weight class, etc.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Shit division.

Excellent point about Stipe. He should have retired on a high after beating DC in the trilogy. But instead he was knocked out into the shadow realm by Ngannou. I liked Stipe a lot when he was champ, but I would favour a few heavyweights over him these days (Jones, Blaydes, Pavlovich, Aspinall, even Gane).

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Just back the Brinks truck up and throw A LOT of money at a Jones / Lesnar fight.

PPV rates would be sky high.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Excellent point about Stipe. He should have retired on a high after beating DC in the trilogy. But instead he was knocked out into the shadow realm by Ngannou. I liked Stipe a lot when he was champ, but I would favour a few heavyweights over him these days (Jones, Blaydes, Pavlovich, Aspinall, even Gane).

To be fair to Stipe, the Ngannou fight and this incoming jones fights were probably 2 of his biggest paydays. Probably worth it just for that.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Stipe would not get thrashed like Gane did. I also don't think Jones has the striking power to one touch Stipe into another realm like Ngannou. I'm still very interested in Stipe v. Jones but Ngannou v. Jones is the monster fight for me and unfortunately I'm not sure we're ever going to get it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just back the Brinks truck up and throw A LOT of money at a Jones / Lesnar fight.

PPV rates would be sky high.
Brock’s done imo. He’s not leaving WWE with the money/schedule he has. He can go “wrestle” a 5 min match in Saudi Arabia and make the same amount of money

He went straight to the hospital after the fight, he deserves it

Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC probably couldn’t have scripted this any better. Nickal, Shavkat, Grasso as another Mexican champ and getting a meaningful rematch with Valentina, and then of course Jones.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Brock’s done imo. He’s not leaving WWE with the money/schedule he has. He can go “wrestle” a 5 min match in Saudi Arabia and make the same amount of money

He went straight to the hospital after the fight, he deserves it

Yeah he was beat up. Incredible endruance by both fighters as they took heavy shots. Didn't realise that was the first time Neal has been finished. And what a finish it was!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad