GDT: UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Isn’t 145 extremely thin right now? Volk should easily defeat Yair. Who else is there ?

Not so much that the division is extremely thin so much as Volk has just ran through all of them.

Holloway is one of the best FW’s in UFC history and Volk put on a clinic the last time they fought.

Reactions: I am not exposed

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Close-ish.

I’d say Holloway beat Rodriguez more decisively than Islam just beat Volk, if we want to compare that.

Fair enough. I can't recall that fight that well for some reason. I think Yair has improved since then. Still think Volk wins that fight, but at least I want to see that fight. Which wasn't the case before this card.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Topuria and Evloev could be interesting fights for Volk at 145
Evloev looked HUGE in the last pic I saw. Not to swagger jack @Neutrinos but USADA needs to show up on his doorstep like yesterday

Topuria has a similar physical build to Volk. He’s miles behind in the striking but does have that aggression and power to put anybodys lights out. Awesome subs too but I don’t think that matters much with Volk

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Volk probably beats Rodriguez but I don't think it'll be easy for him at all. Yair is such a whirlwind of chaos that he's probably the best example of an "anything can happen" fighter in the UFC right now.

155 is actually less interesting to me now than 145. Other than Beneil who is really a good matchup for Makhachev?

I like Gamrot, I like Tsarukyan but not against Makhachev. Chandler maybe would be interesting if he wasn't solely focused on KO'ing people.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Volk gave it hell. Made it a lot closer than I thought he would, but I agree with Islam winning 1, 2, and 4. The first 3 rounds were all close-ish, but I thought they were pretty clear who won. Even though he came up short, Volk earned a lot of respect with that performance.

Conversely, people are going to be down on Islam, but he impressed me, too. If you told me that much of the fight was going to be on the feet, I would thought that Volk won. We'll see how his wrestling and G&P (or lack thereof) stacks up against the rest of the division, but I think it's fair to say he's not Khabib 2.0. It may be that Volk is just that strong and good defensively, though, so who knows. However, his striking is much better than Khabib's.

Yair looked great. He hit Emmett with everything including the kitchen sink. The fight kind of showed everything we thought going in. Yair would be the faster and better striker, but Emmett has some power and wrestling.....except for Yair winning by sub. I don't know that those odds were, but if anyone made that bet, congratulations.

Volk-Yair is going to be hyped. Can't wait for that fight. They are kind of similar in the sense that their superpower is confusing their opponent. Volk's is more with feints and Yair's is more with throwing anything and everything at any given time. I actually think Yair could give Volk some problems on the feet. I expect Volk to take him down a few times like Max did. Coming off this camp against Islam, Volk's wrestling is better than it's ever been.

I don't know what you do with Islam. I guess it's either Poirier or the Gaethje/Fiziev winner. Really don't want to put him on ice until late summer waiting for maybe, possibly, perhaps Dariush. Fiziev would be great if for nothing else than some fresh blood. As much as I like Poirier and Gaethje, I don't think either would be deserving of a title shot. Even though Islam's wrestling doesn't appear to be quite as dominant as Khabib's, I think both those fights would end up looking similar. If Islam were to f*** around on the feet too much, maybe they could catch him, but that's about it IMO.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
A large # of mma fans think this is a robbery and it’s basically only because Volk ended the fight in a great spot. Somebody needs to explain what round by round scoring means to them

#2 was the swing round. 48-47 either way is no robbery

This is a classic example of bias. Most people wanted Volk to win. Volk did better than expected in most peoples eyes. The only round he definitely won was the 5th round. Just because he did better than expected doesn't mean he won the fight. Islam won imo, and I don't think 49-46 was ridiculous like some people thought. 48-47 or 49-46 were fair scores.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Volk gave it hell. Made it a lot closer than I thought he would, but I agree with Islam winning 1, 2, and 4. The first 3 rounds were all close-ish, but I thought they were pretty clear who won. Even though he came up short, Volk earned a lot of respect with that performance.

Conversely, people are going to be down on Islam, but he impressed me, too. If you told me that much of the fight was going to be on the feet, I would thought that Volk won. We'll see how his wrestling and G&P (or lack thereof) stacks up against the rest of the division, but I think it's fair to say he's not Khabib 2.0. It may be that Volk is just that strong and good defensively, though, so who knows. However, his striking is much better than Khabib's.

Yair looked great. He hit Emmett with everything including the kitchen sink. The fight kind of showed everything we thought going in. Yair would be the faster and better striker, but Emmett has some power and wrestling.....except for Yair winning by sub. I don't know that those odds were, but if anyone made that bet, congratulations.

Volk-Yair is going to be hyped. Can't wait for that fight. They are kind of similar in the sense that their superpower is confusing their opponent. Volk's is more with feints and Yair's is more with throwing anything and everything at any given time. I actually think Yair could give Volk some problems on the feet. I expect Volk to take him down a few times like Max did. Coming off this camp against Islam, Volk's wrestling is better than it's ever been.

I don't know what you do with Islam. I guess it's either Poirier or the Gaethje/Fiziev winner. Really don't want to put him on ice until late summer waiting for maybe, possibly, perhaps Dariush. Fiziev would be great if for nothing else than some fresh blood. As much as I like Poirier and Gaethje, I don't think either would be deserving of a title shot. Even though Islam's wrestling doesn't appear to be quite as dominant as Khabib's, I think both those fights would end up looking similar. If Islam were to f*** around on the feet too much, maybe they could catch him, but that's about it IMO.

Well said, agreed with everything here.

Only thing I'll add is I'm good with Islam/Poirer next if Oliveira/Dariush stays booked. At least Poirer is coming off a big win and he has the resume. Plus everyone else is booked.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Islam vs. Dariush and Volk vs. Yair would both be excellent fights. Maybe the most competitive in both divisions too. Just put them on the same card again.

Love Poirier but I think he's getting taken down and beaten with ease if he gets the next shot.

Reactions: CDJ

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I'd have to re-watch the 4th rd again to score it accurately, but Volkanovski did all the damage while Islam had his back in a bodylock against the fence

That may have actually been Volk's best moment in the fight

So, Islam 1, 2, 3, with 4 and 5 going to Volk

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t really consider those shots Volk was landing in round 4 “damage” and Islam was trying for a choke most of the time. I have no problem with that round going to Islam using the modern criteria

Reactions: 16Skippy

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don’t really consider those shots Volk was landing in round 4 “damage” and Islam was trying for a choke most of the time. I have no problem with that round going to Islam using the modern criteria

Would you rather have your opponent unsuccessfully "trying for a choke", or repeatedly punching you in the face?

Maintaining a dominant position shouldn't count for much when you're getting beat up while holding it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad