GDT: UFC 280: Oliveira vs. Makhachev/ONE on Prime Video 3: Lineker vs. Andrade

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Only saw the main card.

Dariush is knocking on the door, veteran performance from him and a clear win.

I knew Yan would lose the decision if it was even remotely close. Shitty decision but saw it coming a mile away. It's not the absolute worst I've seen but a tier below. I mean, I can at least fathom how a judge would give 1 and 3 to O'Malley even though I strongly disagree.

Just don't give him the title shot, Chito vs O'Malley 2 is the fight to make.

TJ is a warrior and that sucked for him but I'm glad Aljo won in dominant fashion. The guy gets way too much disrespect and I'm sure people will put an asterisk next to this one too, but he is a deserving champion.

Islam/Oliveira went as expected. I actually think Volkanovski has the best chance of anyone right now to win, so I can't wait for that one.

TJ doesn’t deserve to be called a warrior. His body is breaking down due to all the substance abuse. f*** him

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Media scores have it overwhelmingly for Yan. I had it 29-28 but I think round 1 was close enough that might not be a robbery.

1666482978932.png

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The whole Islam vs Volk fight doesn't make any sense. It's gonna be a walk in the park for Islam, he has significant size advantage and a lifetime of wrestling. Volk has a puncher's chance, that it. This is gonna look worse than GSP vs Penn.

Give Dariush the shot already, the guy is in his prime and is the most intriguing matchup for Islam at the moment. The fact that not a single comment or question about him in the press conference is absolutely absurd and even borderline shady if I'm being honest.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Karim Zidan has some interesting background about the Khabib team v. Khamzat team beef on his twitter if anyone is interested. That has been brewing a long time.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I just finished watching the main card...

I personally think Yan won that fight... but I don't hate the decision. Rounds 2&3 were the only real decisive rounds. Round 1 O'Malley was landing some solid strike and while yan shot for a takedown or two it doesn't mean squat if you don't do anything with it. Am I the only one surprised by O'Malley outside the fight? During the press conferences he wasn't his usual cocky self and didn't even respond to yans comeback. After the fight he was pretty humble which shocked me. I honestly think he was nervous coming into this. Even though I don't think he won but I'll accept that he did I think this is a humongous fight for him (obviously) because it proves it belongs. Before tonight if you listed like the ten fighters ahead of him I would have probably bet him to lose... now he's legit. I'm very curious where they go with him here. It didn't seem like even he wanted a title fight off of that but he does Aljo just backpacks him to death otherwise maybe him be sandhagen?

It's infuriating to me and like the 5 other Aljo fans that every victory has been overshadowed with some sort of nonsense. I thought the fight would go this way but it's just frustrating that there will be the "but TJ was hurt." Also.... SCREW TJ! The dude got hurt in April?! Had his shoulder pop out 20 times this summer?! Then "oh I'm sorry to the division" piss off man.

I hate Islam and khabib but it was dominant. Everyone has called Charles a quitter since he became champ and he proved them wrong. Islam called him a quitter and proved it right he made Charles quit. His body language after getting rocked on the first strike and mauled on the ground the first round just showed he wasn't in it.

I love Volk he might be my favorite champ........ I just can't see him winning this fight.

POTN: Belal, Islam

FOTN: Yan-Sean

That’s not what you wanna take if you’re Belal

Shavkat already has Geoff Neal 1/14 but I don't think anyone wants to take the nomad on

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Things are going to get weird for Aljo and Merab real soon.

I honestly don’t think so, Merab seems to revere him

4D chess from Aljo

ZEROOOOOOOO chance they ever fight each other. This isn't some Burns/Usman thing these guys are legit boys. Aljo has hinted publicly before he would rather vacate and move to 145 than fight Merab and once again brought up moving up in post fight interviews today.

I know Merab has thought about moving down to 125lb I just don't know if he can consistently pull it off but if he could the top of that division could be impacted in a big way.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

member 51464

It was a nice run for Charles, and I'm glad for him he got a win against Poirier since I know some felt like he wasn't really a legit champion. In the end, a nice redemption arc for him after early career inconsistencies. I'll be curious what his next few fights look like.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Just finished the 1st rd of the Yan vs O'Malley fight

While it was close, I think O'Malley edged out Yan in the portions of the round when they were standing, however, he was also fighting as though he was the prey and Yan was a predator

So, was Yan's takedown and 40 seconds of ground control enough to give him the round?

Considering I'd rather be taken down than punched or kicked, I think there's an argument to be made for either side, as well as it being even on the cards heading into the 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Charlie's BJJ was enough to prevent it from being a complete smeshing, but it was pretty much one way traffic. I'm not the biggest fan of the Khabib crew, but it is nice to see how much respect and gratitude they have for the people that helped them get to where they are. I hate the Islam-Volk fight. Islam should have no problem with Volk. He's too big, Volk's TDD isn't anything special even at 145, and Volk doesn't have much power even at 145. I think Volk has earned a shot at becoming double champ, but I don't see it going well against Islam. He had a chance against Charlie IMO, but not Islam. Sign me up for Oliveira-Dariush.

f*** off, TJ. Wasting everybody's time. His title challenger days are over and if his body is breaking down, then he might not have much time left fighting period. Easy paycheck, title defense, and big name on his resume for Aljo. Sterling-Cejudo would be cringey as f***, but the actual fight would be fantastic.

Ehhhh I don't know about the Yan-O'Malley decision. O'Malley showed himself well and he can hang with the top of the division, but I thought Yan won. O'Malley looked nervous all week, in the fight, and in the post fight interview. It's like HE doesn't think he belongs. Certainly not acting like a superstar. Another tough one for Yan. Loss by DQ and 2 split decisions in a row. Probably doesn't drop his stock much since most people thought he won. Maybe do Merab next?

Good win for Darisuh. Gamrot is a tough guy to look good against, but Darisuh did what he had to do to pick up the win. Gamrot is a good fighter, but he doesn't have a plan B and plan A isn't dominant enough. I think he will be a top 10 gatekeeper type.

Chookagian - Fiorot was as terrible of a PPV opener as I thought. Had Fiorot winning, but didn't look like anything special.

Belal-Brady, I thought it was an early stoppage at first, but on the replay, Brady wasn't really throwing anything back. He was just trying to tie up Belal's arms (and failing to do so). Good fight, though. Pretty even until the end. Belal's in a tough spot, though. Still need Edwards-Usman 3 and then probably Chimaev/Covington winner. We're talking maybe end of 2023 for him to get a title shot and he probably can't sit out that whole time waiting for one.

Volkan-Krylov was fun for 2 min and then a total grindfest.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Listening to the MMA Fighting postfight show and they touched on a few things that they agreed with.

When I watched Dillashaw yesterday the first thing I thought of was that must be they pushed the gambling rules this week. Such bad optics when everyone knew Dillashaw had zero chance to win an I'm sure people made some money off that.

The other thing was something that we discussed here this week. Dana is obviously so disinterested in some parts of his job.. why is he out at the post-fight presser? One of the biggest PPVs of the year and is basically just like "whatever" to anything brought up.

Reactions: 16Skippy

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The only guy that I see having a shot at stopping Islam after seeing what he did to Oliveira is Dariush. He’s stronger than Oliveira and hes a better grappler with smarter defense. Oliveira’s advantage over guys like Poirier and Gaethje was that they wouldn’t follow him to the ground so he was able to fight with wreckless abandon and not have to worry. I don’t think he’s ever experience the wrestling ability he saw last night. That being said, I would be interested in a rematch in the future. Charles could adjust and put on a better performance than the one we just saw having now experienced what it’s like in there with a Dagestani grappler.

Chandler is another one that is intriguing. He’s probably the only guy at LW that Islam wouldn’t be stronger than, could have difficulty with that. Chandler’s striking is also very explosive, has the best punchers chance IMO.

Other than that, I think it’s going to be a long reign.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
When I watched Dillashaw yesterday the first thing I thought of was that must be they pushed the gambling rules this week. Such bad optics when everyone knew Dillashaw had zero chance to win an I'm sure people made some money off that.
Grain of salt with everything Dana says, but he said they didn't know about his shoulder. I kind of believe that. I don't think there is any way they would have let him fight if they knew the extent of his injury.

I think it is probably Krause's interview with Ariel that sparked that discussion.

The other thing was something that we discussed here this week. Dana is obviously so disinterested in some parts of his job.. why is he out at the post-fight presser? One of the biggest PPVs of the year and is basically just like "whatever" to anything brought up.
And if he is going to be there, for the love of God get the man a hearing aid or ear piece or something. How many times was he looking directly at the guy asking a question just to stare blankly at the end of the question and then look over to the side to have it repeated.

The only guy that I see having a shot at stopping Islam after seeing what he did to Oliveira is Dariush. He’s stronger than Oliveira and hes a better grappler with smarter defense. Oliveira’s advantage over guys like Poirier and Gaethje was that they wouldn’t follow him to the ground so he was able to fight with wreckless abandon and not have to worry. I don’t think he’s ever experience the wrestling ability he saw last night. That being said, I would be interested in a rematch in the future. Charles could adjust and put on a better performance than the one we just saw having now experienced what it’s like in there with a Dagestani grappler.

Chandler is another one that is intriguing. He’s probably the only guy at LW that Islam wouldn’t be stronger than, could have difficulty with that. Chandler’s striking is also very explosive, has the best punchers chance IMO.

Other than that, I think it’s going to be a long reign.
He's a tough fight, but how does Dariush win, though? Oliveira wasn't able to get any serious submission attempts off. I doubt Dariush would either. He's also not the heaviest puncher and there's no way he's controlling Islam on the ground. Dariush might be able to survive longer because he's less reckless, but I don't see how me mounts enough offense to actually get the W.

Chandler is a little bit interesting because he's probably the biggest puncher in the division and has the wrestling background, but I think it probably looks a lot like Khabib vs. Poirer/Gaethje/Conor.

Reactions: m9

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Grain of salt with everything Dana says, but he said they didn't know about his shoulder. I kind of believe that. I don't think there is any way they would have let him fight if they knew the extent of his injury.

I think it is probably Krause's interview with Ariel that sparked that discussion.

And if he is going to be there, for the love of God get the man a hearing aid or ear piece or something. How many times was he looking directly at the guy asking a question just to stare blankly at the end of the question and then look over to the side to have it repeated.

He's a tough fight, but how does Dariush win, though? Oliveira wasn't able to get any serious submission attempts off. I doubt Dariush would either. He's also not the heaviest puncher and there's no way he's controlling Islam on the ground. Dariush might be able to survive longer because he's less reckless, but I don't see how me mounts enough offense to actually get the W.

Chandler is a little bit interesting because he's probably the biggest puncher in the division and has the wrestling background, but I think it probably looks a lot like Khabib vs. Poirer/Gaethje/Conor.

Islam has been KOed before and Dariush has a left hand that can KO ppl with one shot. If Islam can't figure out Benny's scrambles to keep him on the ground (Which Charles lacked btw). It's gonna be a standup fight. At that point it's a closer bout than people think because Beneil is a dog and has KO power, but Islam is definitely an underrated technical striker and may have the cardio advantage in a 5 round fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dariush got KO’d by Alexander Hernandez a lot more recently than Makhachev was KO’d

I don’t think either should be used to assess anything about a current matchup. I also don’t think a guy who Diego Ferreira took to a split in 2021 is going to be enough to dust a guy who just made Chucky Olives look like it was 2016 again. Makhachev just outstruck that guy and I think Oliveira is a better striker than Benny is- so even if Islam’s wrestling is negated he still has the edges striking imo (also helped by the fact that Benny would probably have to be overly focused on stopping the takedown).

I also don’t think that his wrestling would be negated though

Last edited:

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Dariush got KO’d by Alexander Hernandez a lot more recently than Makhachev was KO’d

I don’t think either should be used to assess anything about a current matchup. I also don’t think a guy who Diego Ferreira took to a split in 2021 is going to be enough to dust a guy who just made Chucky Olives look like it was 2016 again. Makhachev just outstruck that guy and I think Oliveira is a better striker than Benny is- so even if Islam’s wrestling is negated he still has the edges striking imo (also helped by the fact that Benny would probably have to be overly focused on stopping the takedown).

I also don’t think that his wrestling would be negated though
Agree with most of this but I’d still rather see Islam defend against Dariush instead of Volk. The division is too deep, gotta keep things moving!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Islam has been KOed before and Dariush has a left hand that can KO ppl with one shot. If Islam can't figure out Benny's scrambles to keep him on the ground (Which Charles lacked btw). It's gonna be a standup fight. At that point it's a closer bout than people think because Beneil is a dog and has KO power, but Islam is definitely an underrated technical striker and may have the cardio advantage in a 5 round fight.
Dariush has 3 KO's in his 21 fight UFC career.

Holtzman - spinning backfist
Klose - was rock 'em sock 'em robots
Vick - who's legendary for having a glass jaw

There's very little evidence suggesting that Dariush has big one shot power in his hands. And that's not even going into how hard Islam is to hit. He gets hit less than once per minute which is insanely low.

I also disagree it would be a standup fight. Dariush just got taken down 4 times by Gamrot. He might be able to stuff some and scramble out of others, but they would eventually find themselves on the mat and Islam is a different animal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Agree with most of this but I’d still rather see Islam defend against Dariush instead of Volk. The division is too deep, gotta keep things moving!
Me too, but that's not the way it's heading.

Dariush will probably have to take another fight to even be in consideration for the next shot after Volk. Gaethje's free and that would be a good fight for Dariush. Big name to get him more attention and Dariush would slice through him on the ground.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Me too, but that's not the way it's heading.

Dariush will probably have to take another fight to even be in consideration for the next shot after Volk. Gaethje's free and that would be a good fight for Dariush. Big name to get him more attention and Dariush would slice through him on the ground.
Need a sad face ‘like’ option lol

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad