GDT: UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Has absolutely nothing to do with Conor LOL. I'm a fan of Charles but let's not act like he's not a different ref/a split second away from getting finished by Chandler losing the first 10-8. It's not a stretch to think Poirier might have been able to finish him in this fight... Turned out to be close but no cigar again but lets not act like hes dominating these championship fights from start to finish.

It absolutely has to do with Conor. If you don't think Poirier brutally destroying the most popular fighter in MMA history his last two fights didn't add to his shine and influence some people's thinking going into this fight I don't know what to tell you.

Watch Dan Hardy's 45 minute breakdown of this fight from a week ago. This should not have been that surprising a result. Oliveira is NASTY. Poirier is one of my favorite fighters of all time but there's a lot of coulda woulda shoulda's in this post.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I keep doubting Charles but he keeps proving me wrong, guy's the real deal. Outside of Islam not sure anyone else can beat him.

And holy shit that Nunes loss came out of nowhere, she looked horrendous tonight. Gassed very easily and was just winging punches recklessly. By the time she tapped nothing was left in the tank

Reactions: m9

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Charles Oliveira knocks out Michael Chandler: Oliveira almost lost 10-8.
Charles Oliveira ground and pounds Dustin Poirier for 5 minutes in round 2 then subs him one minute into round 3: Damn, Poirier almost had that one.

Come on guys, really?

Let's give credit where it's due.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Charles Oliveira ground and pounds Dustin Poirier for 5 minutes in round 2 then subs him one minute into round 3: Damn, Poirier almost had that one.

Come on guys, really?

Oliveira deserves all the credit, but you're acting like people picking Poirier was stupid or something. I honestly didn't see anybody pick Poirier without recognizing that Oliveira is incredibly dangerous and Poirier did have him hurt badly in R1.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
If I was in Oliveira's team, got to figure out that first round. He survived Chandler and Poirier, but that shit will catch up to him eventually.

Hes going to have to be careful, he can’t afford to take that kind of first round against Gaethje or he’s going out.

Props to Oliveira tonight though, such a well rounded and classy fighter. Happy for him

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Come on guys, really?

Oliveira is definitely due credit but his wins aren't without their flaws. People question the Chandler fight because if the ref stopped that fight in the first, no one would argue early stoppage.

In this fight, people question that second round ground and pound because it seemed like Oliveira illegally grabbed the gloves to keep him there. In my eyes that sequence changed the outcome of the fight, as it looked fairly good for Poirier early, and after that glove hold/roll situation, the tide turned.

Good fight, congrats to Oliveira, but people question his fights because there's things to question in them.

Reactions: Michael HOMERUNing

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island

Come on guys, really?

Nobody is denying credit. The guy is a warrior who persevered through adversity and captured glory. Denying that is stupid... It would be equally as stupid to deny that he's been close to being finished and clearly has something to improve on to start fights or he's going to get caught.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hes going to have to be careful, he can’t afford to take that kind of first round against Gaethje or he’s going out.

Props to Oliveira tonight though, such a well rounded and classy fighter. Happy for him
I don't think Gaethje hits substantially harder than Poirier and I think Chandler hits harder, actually. So he might be able to survive it again...but he might not, too. Gaethje or whoever might just catch him cleaner or follow up better or have a ref that stops it. And over time, it will have an affect on his durability to take punishment like that. Eventually, it will cost him if he doesn't clean that up.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Oliveira deserves all the credit, but you're acting like people picking Poirier was stupid or something. I honestly didn't see anybody pick Poirier without recognizing that Oliveira is incredibly dangerous and Poirier did have him hurt badly in R1.

I think Oliveira inflicted a lot of damage on Poirier in round one which went unnoticed because tweedle dee and tweedle dum were jumping up and down and yelling everytime Poirier touched Oliveira just like they did for Izzy in the Izzy vs. Jan fight. Anik was smart enough to note on multiple occasions the massive knees he was landing to Poirier's body.

For Oliveira to even start the fight like that was dumb and screams out that he wants people to respect his striking which is fine but once he stopped fighting Poirier's fight and went back to his bread and butter the fight wasn't even close.

I don't think it was dumb to pick Poirier. I don't agree though that this fight, taken in its entirety, can really be called a close fight. Once Oliveira decided to go to the nuclear option with his groundgame Poirier had no answers.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If I were Poirier I'd be doing everything to set up the 4th Conor fight. It's the biggest payday he can possibly get for a fight that he'll probably win easily. Get red panty night #4 then ride off into the sunset.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Oliveira inflicted a lot of damage on Poirier in round one which went unnoticed because tweedle dee and tweedle dum were jumping up and down and yelling everytime Poirier touched Oliveira just like they did for Izzy in the Izzy vs. Jan fight. Anik was smart enough to note on multiple occasions the massive knees he was landing to Poirier's body.

For Oliveira to even start the fight like that was dumb and screams out that he wants people to respect his striking which is fine but once he stopped fighting Poirier's fight and went back to his bread and butter the fight wasn't even close.

I don't think it was dumb to pick Poirier. I don't agree though that this fight, taken in its entirety, can really be called a close fight. Once Oliveira decided to go to the nuclear option with his groundgame Poirier had no answers.
I don't really see the Izzy-Jan comparison. They were freaking out over Izzy feints in that fight more so than what Izzy was landing because he wasn't landing much. Poirier landed some big shots and even dropped him. Oliveira got his licks in, too, but it was clearly Poirier's round.

Oliveira went for a couple takedowns in R1, but Poirier stuffed/rolled through them.

I'm curious to see if Poirier says anything about the supposed glove grab. I would have thought Poirier would have said something to Herb about it if it was, but if it is was, that's a fight altering moment that came about illegally. I think it's right to question that.

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Apparenly Chiesa got drunk and fell while trying to get in the octagon to celebrate Pena's (his teammate) win LOL.

Dana said 2021 was the best UFC year ever for PPV buys and this was the largest UFC gate at T-Mobile for a non-McGregor fight.

Sounds like Dana may be ready to start paying O'Malley more and give him bigger fights as well so mission accomplished for O'Malley.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If I were Poirier I'd be doing everything to set up the 4th Conor fight. It's the biggest payday he can possibly get for a fight that he'll probably win easily. Get red panty night #4 then ride off into the sunset.
For sure, he should take Conor again if it's on the table, but he's not all that old. If he beats Conor again, he's probably only another win away from another title shot. Another win against Conor might even be enough, especially if Oliveira loses to somebody.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't really see the Izzy-Jan comparison. They were freaking out over Izzy feints in that fight more so than what Izzy was landing because he wasn't landing much. Poirier landed some big shots and even dropped him. Oliveira got his licks in, too, but it was clearly Poirier's round.

Oliveira went for a couple takedowns in R1, but Poirier stuffed/rolled through them.

I'm curious to see if Poirier says anything about the supposed glove grab. I would have thought Poirier would have said something to Herb about it if it was, but if it is was, that's a fight altering moment that came about illegally. I think it's right to question that.

Poirier has talked about the glove grab issue with Dean before. McGregor grabbed his gloves in the third fight when Dustin had him on his back and Poirier mentioned it during and after the fight (and I believe also mentioned that McGregor did the same thing to Khabib with Dean reffing).

I would like to see a replay and see what he says as well but given that he hasn't been shy about that exact issue with this exact ref in the past I don't see why he'd hold back addressing it during this fight if it was something that really bothered him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Poirier has talked about the glove grab issue with Dean before. McGregor grabbed his gloves in the third fight when Dustin had him on his back and Poirier mentioned it during and after the fight (and I believe also mentioned that McGregor did the same thing to Khabib with Dean reffing).

I would like to see a replay and see what he says as well but given that he hasn't been shy about that exact issue with this exact ref in the past I don't see why he'd hold back addressing it during this fight if it was something that really bothered him.
Agreed and I know better than to take Rogan's word for it...but it also seemed like a position that he should have been able to pull his arm out of.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Screenshot_20211212-014929_Twitter.jpg

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Apparenly Chiesa got drunk and fell while trying to get in the octagon to celebrate Pena's (his teammate) win LOL.

Dana said 2021 was the best UFC year ever for PPV buys and this was the largest UFC gate at T-Mobile for a non-McGregor fight.

Sounds like Dana may be ready to start paying O'Malley more and give him bigger fights as well so mission accomplished for O'Malley.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
FOTN: Cruz-Munhoz

POTN: Pena, Oliveira, O’Malley, Silva, Tuivasa, Kai Kara-France

8 bonuses

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
You can try to kill the narrative all you want, but you just saw what Charles did to Dustin when it came to the grappling exchanges. There are levels to this thing, and it would have been nice to see Khabib face the top guys in the grappling food chain given that's his bread and butter.
Khabib’s bread and butter is his control. Specifically the way he uses his hips and legs to push down against his opponents. The way to beat Khabib would be to not let him get to this position. There’s nothing in Oliveira’s game that shows he can do this. He is an excellent offensive grappler and I can see him submitting Khabib in a no gi bjj match but at the end of the day wrestling translates a lot better to MMA and Khabib is by far the superior wrestler. The likely outcome is Khabib GnPing him to death. There’s always the chance Charles is able to throw something up but with Khabib’s experience I highly doubt it. Out of the current lightweights the one I’d give the best chance of beating Khabib is Arman Tsarukyan. We need to more out of him but he’s on a path to the belt right now

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is Chandler vs Poirier the fight to make now?

McGregor v. Poirier is the fight to make now. If Poirier can't get McGregor for whatever reason I think the smart move is to go to 170 and see if he can get a fight with Nate or Masvidal. Poirier has told Helwani before that he anticipates finishing his career at 170. The goal for him now (and honestly everyone) should be making the most money possible while taking the least damage. Him fighting Chandler has a high possibility of being another brawl like Poirier v. Hooker and I don't think Poirier needs more of those in his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad