GDT: UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I wish Colby was either better at being his character or funny.

For example, he said all week he had no respect for Usman and wasn't going to shake his hand after the fight. He shakes his hand after the fight. He says in the presser he still has no respect for him. Then when asked directly what they said to each other after the fight he said it was just mutual respect. Which one is it? If you're going to be that guy, you've got to be that guy all the time.

Or, if he was funny like Chael when Chael was the heel, that would also work. Being funny to Colby is calling people nerds and virgins. Like good one, bro.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's to provoke a reaction and it's working with you, lol. The stupid jackets along with the Maga hats. I'm sure he never thought Trump would be calling him after a fight. If you hear anyone talk about what Colby is actually like, they say he's a pretty cool guy.
I've heard mixed things. I think it was Askren that said he was an asshole even back in the college wrestling days.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
It's to provoke a reaction and it's working with you, lol. The stupid jackets along with the Maga hats. I'm sure he never thought Trump would be calling him after a fight. If you hear anyone talk about what Colby is actually like, they say he's a pretty cool guy.

If some sort of reaction is the end game then sure, it's working. But like I said earlier I couldn't care less about him being on a fight card.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Weird choice as a character to deliberately be dumb

He is triggering.

How is it weird? People hate him, so it's clearly working. He got death threats in Brazil.

He gets people to think he is a moron, an a-hole or whatever, but you're thinking about him, proving its efficacy.

Kamaru Usman was passed over so many years, even though he was running through the division.

It took a few knockouts for people to start respecting him.

Some people fight for legacy. Some fight for money. Some fight for respect.

If you consider he is looking for money, and big money, his gimmick makes more sense.

Look at Henry Cejudo with his silly gimmick of kicking pillows with his opponents face on them.

Dumb, but netted him millions.

You need to look into why things go viral.

Why news deliberately trigger hard emotions like outrage, panic or the like, to sell copies.

You trigger someone, you literally give yourself a place inside their minds.

Which is why forgiveness is so effective. It essentially evicts them.

You think McGregor is that rich because he's handsome?

Okay, he punches hard. So do many others.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Weird choice as a character to deliberately be dumb. But each to their own. Too bad he didn’t invent a character that’s more entertaining in the octagon to keep himself from getting cut. I honestly couldn’t care less whenener I see him on the fight card and I personally hope the rivalry with Usman is over.

I don't think he's capable of playing a genius...

I can appreciate what he's done to create a character, but I don't think he ever made the decision to play it dumb, I just think Colby likely isn't very bright

Sonnen created a similar character for himself as well, only Chael's an articulate guy, so it didn't come across so forced and clunky

Reactions: Jugitsu

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He is triggering.

How is it weird? People hate him, so it's clearly working. He got death threats in Brazil.

He gets people to think he is a moron, an a-hole or whatever, but you're thinking about him, proving its efficacy.

Kamaru Usman was passed over so many years, even though he was running through the division.

It took a few knockouts for people to start respecting him.

Some people fight for legacy. Some fight for money. Some fight for respect.

If you consider he is looking for money, and big money, his gimmick makes more sense.

Look at Henry Cejudo with his silly gimmick of kicking pillows with his opponents face on them.

Dumb, but netted him millions.

You need to look into why things go viral.

Why news deliberately trigger hard emotions like outrage, panic or the like, to sell copies.

You trigger someone, you literally give yourself a place inside their minds.

Which is why forgiveness is so effective. It essentially evicts them.

You think McGregor is that rich because he's handsome?

Okay, he punches hard. So do many others.

I get why someone would want to create an act with all the Conor McGregors making hilarious amounts of money. If him being a dumb-dumb is just a character, I find that weird. Personally I’ve never been drawn to hype. I haven’t bought a single McGregor ppv for an example nor I never will.

I don't think he's capable of playing a genius...

I can appreciate what he's done to create a character, but I don't think he ever made the decision to play it dumb, I just think Colby likely isn't very bright

Sonnen created a similar character for himself as well, only Chael's an articulate guy, so it didn't come across so forced and clunky

This makes more sense.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Personally I’ve never been drawn to hype

Well then you don't understand what sells and doesn't in the fight business.

Boxer David Tua sold tickets, because his knockout power could "take a head off." Watching him connect with a hook, was devastating.

Francis Ngannou.

He is like getting hit by a car. Literally. Overeem literally got knocked stiff and had to be brought back from getting hit clean. It was the closest knockout to a spine shattering one from Mortal Kombat from real life.

Look at his body count, so to speak.

Unless you can do the above, you must sell yourself with a gimmick, or risk falling out of the limelight.

Demetrius Johnson comes to mind. Amazing fighter. One of my favorites.

But he was humble and sounded more like a hockey player in interviews than a fighter. He didn't move needles. His skill was so technical, but he didn't have knockout power.

Look at him, and look at Cejudo since he switched to the gimmick.

That's marketing. Cejudo understood the business, and knew if he relied on skill only, he would likely wind up in the same boat.

Brock Lesnar. Dumb as a knob. Even Cormier wanted a piece, knowing that thats the money fight.

What other fighter you know could rake millions and have a nearly .500 record?

Suck at personality and knockouts, and get cut.

This is a job.

I see it no different than having to wear a rooster suit and flash a sign for a restaurant to boost sales, or Hooters making outfits more racy.

The outrage on the latter, likely boosted their sales 15%.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wish Colby was either better at being his character or funny.

For example, he said all week he had no respect for Usman and wasn't going to shake his hand after the fight. He shakes his hand after the fight. He says in the presser he still has no respect for him. Then when asked directly what they said to each other after the fight he said it was just mutual respect. Which one is it? If you're going to be that guy, you've got to be that guy all the time.

Or, if he was funny like Chael when Chael was the heel, that would also work. Being funny to Colby is calling people nerds and virgins. Like good one, bro.

his nickname for Chimaev was very 9th grade but mildly amusing, I just don’t know if that’s the tree he wants to bark up lol

Egg

Sep 3, 2007

Being a natural, puts you at McGregor status, or Sonnen.

Or soon to be Paddy Pimblett, if he can learn head movement, or he will get knocked out cold, before the hype train he is on even makes it out the first station.

Reactions: CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Being a natural, puts you at McGregor status, or Sonnen.

Or soon to be Paddy Pimblett, if he can learn head movement, or he will get knocked out cold, before the hype train he is on even makes it out the first station.

I always thought Sonnen came across as a bit of a poser...

McGregor just seemed to be having fun... I don't think he was playing a character until later in his career

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
I always thought Sonnen came across as a bit of a poser...

McGregor just seemed to be having fun... I don't think he was playing a character until later in his career

Sonnen clearly played a character, but this character suited his personality.

Covington and Cejudo look horribly put on with their characters.

Cejudo however, was funny and even made his opponents laugh with how corny his thing was. It was incredibly lighthearted.

Covington is clearly going out of his way, and like you said, just like the new McGregor, is desperately reaching, and it shows.

Its almost as uncomfortable as watching GSP attempt trash talk:

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Well that’s f***in bananas Frankie

impressive that he even won a round against a good fighter like Chito

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
yeah it was pretty late and nobody really talked about it or even showed a replay. Wasn’t he calling time but failed to get between the two?

that and then he didn’t give gaethje anytime to recover after being too late and letting gaethje eat a shot. It was a pretty bad eye poke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad