Featherweight bout: Shane Burgos vs. Billy Quarantillo
Bantamweight bout: Frankie Edgar vs. Marlon Vera

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, TSN 5)

Middleweight bout: Alex Pereira vs. Andreas Michailidis
Lightweight bout: Al Iaquinta vs. Bobby Green
Middleweight bout: Phil Hawes vs. Chris Curtis
Middleweight bout: Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Nassourdine Imavov
Welterweight bout: Ian Garry vs. Jordan Williams

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Heavyweight bout: Gian Villante vs. Chris Barnett
Light Heavyweight bout: Dustin Jacoby vs. John Allan
Featherweight bout: Melsik Baghdasaryan vs. Bruno Souza
Flyweight bout: CJ Vergara vs. Ode' Osbourne​

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Wittman comes out of this with all 3 winning I think we have to call him the GOAT, right?

Also at last check Gian Villante was the slight favorite in his fight. In 2021! That’s crazy!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman-Covington - I think Colby's only path is basically a repeat of the first fight, but just be a little bit better. He doesn't have fight changing power and I don't think he can wrestle Usman for any significant amount of time. The problem is that we know Usman has gotten a lot better in the striking and is now finishing guys. Usman at -300 seems about right. Colby has a shot, but it would be a surprise.

Rose-Weili -
Say what you will about Weili getting an immediate rematch and I agree...but it's a still a damn good fight. Weili needs to bully Rose and drag her into the later rounds. We've seen Rose start to gas even in a 3 round fight against Andrade. Joanna started to take over in the rematch, too, but Rose stole R5 with a takedown. It's not a guarantee to win, but slow down her movement and it becomes more manageable for Weili. I don't see another early stoppage, so I like Weili's chances.

Gaethje-Chandler
- I said in another thread, but I think there is a difference in the chins and that's why I'd go with Gaethje. I think Chandler would be smart to look for some takedowns. I don't know if he's too stubborn for that or not.

Burgos-Billy Q
- Dark horse for FOTN. Burgos has more experience against top level guys, but the problem is his only win against them was a split decision against Cub. Burgos probably gets it done, but I don't know I'd put him at -200.

Frankie-Vera
- I hate to say it, but I think Frankie is washed. I hope he does indeed retire and even better if he goes out on a win against a legit opponent, but I don't know.

Pereira-Michailidis
- For those who don't know Pereira is making his UFC debut, but he's a world class kickboxer who beat Izzy in kickboxing twice including Izzy's only KO loss. He's already 34, so I don't know how good his long term prospects are, but he might make some noise with some generous matchmaking.

Ragin' Al-Green
- Good to see Ragin' Al again. I think Al is the better fighter, but I mean who knows. He's 34 and hasn't fought in 2 years. He's the underdog, though, so I'd go with him.

Shahbazyan-Imavov
- How quickly the mighty have fallen. Shahbazyan was getting put in the title picture talk after head kicking Tavarez. Now he's lost 2 in a row and is lower on the prelims. He's still crazy young, though. Imavov KO'ed Ian Heinisch which says something, is only 25 himself, is from Dagestan, and is fighting out of MMA Factory. Without really knowing anything else about him...it's definitely not a get right fight for Shahbazyan.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Wittman comes out of this with all 3 winning I think we have to call him the GOAT, right?

Also at last check Gian Villante was the slight favorite in his fight. In 2021! That’s crazy!
Villante must be working for dirt cheap and fight whoever they tell him to.

Reactions: CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Such a risky fight for both Gaethje and Chandler... you gotta think the loser may never get another shot at the title

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm really only looking forward to the Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Chandler on the main card tbh.

Hopefully the whole card delivers unlike last weeks PPV!

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
the fact that Rose is not the favorite indicates to me it’s probably the right fight. We didn’t learn much from last time as some consider the head kick KO a fluke.

I want Rose to win but I have some concerns

I don't really care about this fight but this is an irritating take. We learned that Rose KO'd her in convincing and quick fashion. What makes that a fluke? Should she have held off her KO a little while longer to make sure we learned enough about the match-up? Had Rose won by decision 'some' would then say we need to "run it back" because it was a close fight. It seems unless you beat a champion in specific circumstances they deserve an immediate rematch. Who is calling her win a fluke by the way? I haven't seen that anywhere.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Fluke isn't the right word, but it was just over so fast that there's reason to believe this fight might go differently. Kind of like how Rose-Joanna 2 went differently. Rose still pulled it off of course, but it was nowhere near the same fight.

Weili doesn't deserve an immediate rematch because she had only defended the belt once, lost fair and square, and there is a worthy alternative (Esparza), but I still think it's an intriguing fight.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
You can say that about almost any fight that results in a quick finish. But I don't recall the UFC giving Aldo a rematch against McGregor, or Cyborg a rematch against Nunes. Most likely because they got the results that they wanted. Not that I think they don't want Rose to be champion, but this rematch almost certainly has as much to do with what they want from a marketing standpoint as much as who deserves the title shot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You can say that about almost any fight that results in a quick finish. But I don't recall the UFC giving Aldo a rematch against McGregor, or Cyborg a rematch against Nunes. Most likely because they got the results that they wanted. Not that I think they don't want Rose to be champion, but this rematch almost certainly has as much to do with what they want from a marketing standpoint as much as who deserves the title shot.
Yes, the UFC's inconsistency in matchmaking based on how much money they can make is well documented.

I find it strange you picked those 2 to bring up, though. Conor left the division and Cyborg left the promotion.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Yes, the UFC's inconsistency in matchmaking based on how much money they can make is well documented.

I find it strange you picked those 2 to bring up, though. Conor left the division and Cyborg left the promotion.

Conor didn't leave the division immediately after beating Aldo. He was only officially stripped of the title a year later, during which he was still active, they could have made that fight if they wanted.

Cyborg didn't leave the promotion before a rematch could be made, she had a fight left on her contract and called for a rematch numerous times. They made no attempt to re-sign her or book the fight, instead they had her face Spencer for her last bout. They basically shoved her out the door.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Conor didn't leave the division immediately after beating Aldo. He was only officially stripped of the title a year later, there was no indication at the time that he was completely done with FW even if it ended up being his last fight at 145.

And implying Cyborg left the promotion before a rematch could be made is really disingenuous, she had a fight left on her contract and called for a rematch numerous times. They made no attempt to re-sign her or book the fight, instead they had her face Spencer for her last bout. They basically shoved her out the door.
You're right, Cyborg did have one more fight in the UFC, my mistake. Still, in both cases, it's not like they moved on to the next contender. Aldo was in the next FW title fight and by the time the next WFW title fight happened, Cyborg was gone from the UFC for a year. Cyborg said she wanted a rematch. Dana said they wanted a rematch and if she really wanted it, to call them and they'd set it up the next day. Best case scenario, it's a he-said-she-said situation. And they may or may not have tried to re-sign her, but if they didn't it could have had something to do with her (and/or her team) releasing a doctored video that was intended to make the president of the company look bad. Probably not a smart move if you're trying to get a rematch in his promotion.

Anyway, my point was the first Rose-Weili fight ended so quickly there's reason to believe the rematch could be different. Weili is certainly benefitting from being Chinese, but it's not unprecedented either. Sometimes they do an immediate rematch, sometimes they don't.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Sucks for Esparza, should’ve been from China

Also hurts that she's not exciting. Like it or not, UFC doesn't really operate on meritocracy. I half expect her to get booked against someone she's sure to lose to (like Joanna) just so UFC don't have to put her in a title shot. And then, the UFC will end up booking someone Esparza beat to a title shot. The Jussier Formiga effect.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Looks like everyone made weight.

Usman came in at 169. I don't think he's ever had any issues making weight, but I didn't think it was ever easy for him either. Surprised to see him cut an extra pound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad