GDT: UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington 2

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Chandler needs to win a fight first imo before he gets someone as high ranked as Gaethje. He's 1-2 in the show and puts on exciting fights but he's getting further down that contender line with every loss.

he’s not exactly fighting scrubs. Chandler had a chance the last two fights but could not finish. I don’t think he should fight for a belt either without going on a run

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
They could throw Chandler in there against Conor as both are on 2 losses in a row

I don't like that match-up for McGregor...

Chandler offers elite speed and power on his feet, but he also has the wrestling background to take McGregor down and beat him up with ground 'n' pound

I'd like to see McGregor vs Ferguson... it's a winnable fight for McGregor against a big name, and it also gives Ferguson a big payday before he heads into retirement

If not Ferguson, then McGregor vs Hooker would be my 2nd choice, or Holloway could move up and take on McGregor at 155lbs...

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
What do you guys think about Gilbert Burns being Chimaev's next opponent?

Burns hasn't fought since July, and Chimaev should be ready to fight right away... it's a fight that could be set up for a card in early 2022

UFC 271 in February seems to be lacking star power... Burns vs Chimaev would be a great co-main event

Assuming Edwards beats Masvidal, they could have Edwards fight Usman for the belt in the spring... and then have Chimaev face the winner in the summer assuming he beats Burns

And if Edwards beats Masvidal, it sets things up nicely for Masvidal vs Covington to face each other next

Sounds like the right matchmaking to me.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
he’s not exactly fighting scrubs. Chandler had a chance the last two fights but could not finish. I don’t think he should fight for a belt either without going on a run

No he's not, but he's going to fall down the rankings none the less, that division is deep. He's at what, 5 now? He lost to the champ he just lost to the #2 contender, he would get crushed by Islam and Dustin (in my opinion), so he has to fight guys down the rankings.

In my opinion he needs to be matched up with someone like Dariush, RDA, Tony, or maybe even Gillespie and actually prove he can beat some of those top 10 contenders or else he's just going to get further away from those top ranked opponents.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What makes Khabib's resume more impressive than Usman's?

Didn't compare the two. I only have an issue with the comment saying that Khabib took an easy way out by retiring at the top of his game.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
No he's not, but he's going to fall down the rankings none the less, that division is deep. He's at what, 5 now? He lost to the champ he just lost to the #2 contender, he would get crushed by Islam and Dustin (in my opinion), so he has to fight guys down the rankings.

In my opinion he needs to be matched up with someone like Dariush, RDA, Tony, or maybe even Gillespie and actually prove he can beat some of those top 10 contenders or else he's just going to get further away from those top ranked opponents.

I have no interest in seeing Chandler take years off Ferguson's life...

Reactions: pistolpete11

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Colby looked terrified during his walkout, and also during the first two rounds. When that second round ended I figured he had about 30 seconds left. That seemed to somehow actually boost his confidence. He won the rest of the fight and looked MUCH better in doing so. Like him or hate him, that was damn impressive.

The second round was not a 10-8. 48-47 was correct.

Chimaev-Usman is the fight to make. I don't need to see him beat Burns. Not to mention if Masvidal beats Edwards then Edwards-Usman goes out the window.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Chimaev beats Usman.

This Usman GOAT talk is a bit much IMO. He got rocked by Burns and got wobbled a few times by a battered Colby who doesn't have a ton of power even when he's fresh. It's disrespectful to GSP IMO. I'm not saying Usman can't get there, but prime GSP beats prime Usman.

I was really impressed with Rose. She's so talented everywhere. Zhang isn't quite as powerful as she looks, and I don't think Rose's leg was quite as battered as Rogan always makes it out. 48-47 was correct there.

Not much can be said about Gaethje-Chandler, it was everything you expected and then some.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Colby looked terrified during his walkout, and also during the first two rounds. When that second round ended I figured he had about 30 seconds left. That seemed to somehow actually boost his confidence. He won the rest of the fight and looked MUCH better in doing so. Like him or hate him, that was damn impressive.

The second round was not a 10-8. 48-47 was correct.

Chimaev-Usman is the fight to make. I don't need to see him beat Burns. Not to mention if Masvidal beats Edwards then Edwards-Usman goes out the window.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but Chimaev beats Usman.

This Usman GOAT talk is a bit much IMO. He got rocked by Burns and got wobbled a few times by a battered Colby who doesn't have a ton of power even when he's fresh. It's disrespectful to GSP IMO. I'm not saying Usman can't get there, but prime GSP beats prime Usman.

I was really impressed with Rose. She's so talented everywhere. Zhang isn't quite as powerful as she looks, and I don't think Rose's leg was quite as battered as Rogan always makes it out. 48-47 was correct there.

Not much can be said about Gaethje-Chandler, it was everything you expected and then some.
I would still put GSP ahead of Usman for longevity, but I mean, he got submitted by Hughes, KO'ed by Serra, and kind of got the shit kicked out of him by Hendricks. Maybe some others, too (GSP was before my time as a MMA fan). You can't count getting rocked by Burns and Colby against Usman without counting that stuff against GSP.

I don't think any fights are even talked about before Edwards-Masvidal happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Usman-Chimaev right away. Dana kind of threw a wet blanket on that talk in the post fight presser.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Chandler vs. Poirier (if he loses to Oliveira), Dariush, Islam, or RDA would be the options in my mind.

Conor vs. Nate, Tony, RDA, maybe Hooker.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Colby mentioned during the post-fight press conference that Usman is on something... even mentioned track marks on Usman's stomach

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Every welterweight champ seems to get the goat discussion started after only a few title defenses. Woodley was getting talk like this when he beat Till. Let's see these guys get to like 9-10 title defenses and then we'll have that discussion. GSP winning the middleweight title after a long hiatus is also impressive, even if it was vs Bisping.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Since he’s on the record saying he won’t fight Israel, what about if Whitaker beats Israel, would Usman go up to challenge for MW title against Whitaker?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Since he’s on the record saying he won’t fight Israel, what about if Whitaker beats Israel, would Usman go up to challenge for MW title against Whitaker?
I imagine they do a trilogy first if Whittaker beats Izzy. If Whittaker wins that, then maybe, but that seems so far into the future. Who knows what happens in that much time?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Every welterweight champ seems to get the goat discussion started after only a few title defenses. Woodley was getting talk like this when he beat Till. Let's see these guys get to like 9-10 title defenses and then we'll have that discussion. GSP winning the middleweight title after a long hiatus is also impressive, even if it was vs Bisping.
I don't disagree, but at the same time, Usman is only a win away from tying Anderson for the most consecutive wins in the UFC. So which record is more important? That's a rhetorical question, but I guess I'm saying I don't think it's out of bounds to start putting him into the conversation.

Also, I don't really remember very many people seriously talking Woodley as the GOAT. I think it was more like "Well, he's definitely behind GSP, but maybe you could make a case he's ahead of Hughes for #2 GWWOAT."

Reactions: h2

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
That was probably the greatest event I've ever attended. Crowd was electric the card was sick overall great time well worth the cost of admission.

The prelims were sick loved the Pereira and Garry debuts. Felt bad for Al but Bobby green looked faster and like the fighter who's been much more active. The place was going absolutely nuts for gaethje/chandler which was awesome. I still don't know what chandler was doing in the third just strutting straight towards gaethje taking punches. The title fights were tense Usman is amazing. Going to watch the broadcast tonight to see how it translated on tv.

Weirdest part of the night... standing in Penn station waiting for my train and Keith Peterson walks up next to me still in his referee get up. Walks over to a locker along the wall pulls out clothes and a jacket and pretty much gets dressed right in the middle of Penn. Do they not have locker rooms for the refs? Just bizarre.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Couldn’t even finish the Colby presser. The dude is so f***ing annoying. How can he sit there with a straight face and talk about how he’s the best fighter in the world and how he sold out the MSG all by himself and then finish the sentence by challenging Masvidal. Does he even listen to himself speak? On the other hand he’s saying Masvidal will get him back into the cage with Usman and at the same time he’s hinting how overrated Masvidal is. If anyone’s overrated, that’s Colby Covington.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Khabib took an easy way out by retiring at the top of his game

Not necessarily easy, when the main cause of your retirement, is the passing of your lifelong coach.

It would be the equivalent of an NHL player losing a child or a significant other, God forbid.

The UFC is a dangerous sport.

Why make it more dangerous, by putting an unfocused Khabib who no longer has that drive and passion motivating him?

Makes no sense.

Same reason McGregor should retire. He has lost that inner fire. He is simply padding other fighters stats, with his face.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Couldn’t even finish the Colby presser. The dude is so f***ing annoying. How can he sit there with a straight face and talk about how he’s the best fighter in the world and how he sold out the MSG all by himself and then finish the sentence by challenging Masvidal. Does he even listen to himself speak? On the other hand he’s saying Masvidal will get him back into the cage with Usman and at the same time he’s hinting how overrated Masvidal is. If anyone’s overrated, that’s Colby Covington.

He's just playing this character in an effort to get another big money fight IMO. I pretty much ignore it at this point.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
He's just playing this character

Dana White told him before a Brazil fight. He was told he was boring, and would be cut.

He then and there understood the business side of the fight business.

You don't sell fights. You sell hype. Hype gets butts into seats. If you can fight like you talk, those butts will remain, as your fanbase expands.

He has done a great job at it, since.

There is a reason Amanda Nunes doesn't touch the numbers Rousey did, even if she mops the floor with her on skills.

Love him or hate him, you tuned in to watch him win, or eat crow.

I don't know. I see the gimmick.

But I also see his humility. You don't constantly improve, unless you're unafraid of looking at yourself in a mirror.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He's just playing this character in an effort to get another big money fight IMO. I pretty much ignore it at this point.

Dana White told him before a Brazil fight. He was told he was boring, and would be cut.

He then and there understood the business side of the fight business.

You don't sell fights. You sell hype. Hype gets butts into seats. If you can fight like you talk, those butts will remain, as your fanbase expands.

He has done a great job at it, since.

There is a reason Amanda Nunes doesn't touch the numbers Rousey did, even if she mops the floor with her on skills.

Love him or hate him, you tuned in to watch him win, or eat crow.

I don't know. I see the gimmick.

But I also see his humility. You don't constantly improve, unless you're unafraid of looking at yourself in a mirror.

Weird choice as a character to deliberately be dumb. But each to their own. Too bad he didn’t invent a character that’s more entertaining in the octagon to keep himself from getting cut. I honestly couldn’t care less whenener I see him on the fight card and I personally hope the rivalry with Usman is over.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Weird choice as a character to deliberately be dumb. But each to their own. Too bad he didn’t invent a character that’s more entertaining in the octagon to keep himself from getting cut. I honestly couldn’t care less whenener I see him on the fight card and I personally hope the rivalry with Usman is over.

It's to provoke a reaction and it's working with you, lol. The stupid jackets along with the Maga hats. I'm sure he never thought Trump would be calling him after a fight. If you hear anyone talk about what Colby is actually like, they say he's a pretty cool guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad