GDT: UFC 267: Błachowicz vs. Teixeira

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
What did Jan say at the end there? I didn't hear properly. Was the choke under his chin or on his chin? I think Uncle Glover took a lot out of him in the first round, but he made a really bad choice in the 2nd by going for the kimura instead of focusing on stopping the takedown.

I'm really high on Yan, I think he has GOAT potential. He's just a cerebral criminal mastermind in there.

Let's get some real challenges for Islam and Khazmat. The hype is real. Maybe even a title eliminator for Islam.

And lol at that HW fight.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Helwani is convinced the UFC is going to push Nate hard to get butchered by Khamzat on his way out the door.

I'm curious where Hooker goes from here. Two losses now in his last 3 fights where he hasn't even gotten to show anything. I really wonder if he would have taken this fight if it wasn't for the quarantine restrictions he has to deal with whenever he goes back home and then tries to leave. Seems like he wanted to just get two pay checks in before having to go through that again. Hooker vs. Fiziev would be a really fun fight.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
What did Jan say at the end there? I didn't hear properly. Was the choke under his chin or on his chin? I think Uncle Glover took a lot out of him in the first round, but he made a really bad choice in the 2nd by going for the kimura instead of focusing on stopping the takedown.

I'm really high on Yan, I think he has GOAT potential. He's just a cerebral criminal mastermind in there.

Let's get some real challenges for Islam and Khazmat. The hype is real. Maybe even a title eliminator for Islam.

And lol at that HW fight.

Pretty sure he was asked something like was it a choke or was it the pressure on your jaw/jaw injury and he responded back it was a choke it was tight.

Islam is going to have to wait to see how 268 plays out... If Chandler wins most likely Islam gets the shot only other person on the rankings above him who could possibly be considered is Dariush. If Gaethje wins he'll probably get the title shot which would leave Islam to fight either Chandler/Dariush or just stay inactive hoping to get the shot after Gaethje.

Off topic but pertaining to lightweight division I wonder what they do with Gillespie. Outside the top 5 guys its Tony, Hooker, RDA and Conor ahead of him. I feel like out of those guys RDA is probably the only one who give him a legit challenge.

Helwani is convinced the UFC is going to push Nate hard to get butchered by Khamzat on his way out the door.

I'm curious where Hooker goes from here. Two losses now in his last 3 fights where he hasn't even gotten to show anything. I really wonder if he would have taken this fight if it wasn't for the quarantine restrictions he has to deal with whenever he goes back home and then tries to leave. Seems like he wanted to just get two pay checks in before having to go through that again. Hooker vs. Fiziev would be a really fun fight.

I can 1000%see UFC brass being that bitter. It's pretty obvious Nate wants to go cash in on boxing or just be in more control of what he does they've been blackballing him during this matchmaking process trying to force him to re-sign with the promotion.

I don't think the UFC is going to hold this fight against Hooker all that much but he is at a crossroads. He took the fight on pretty short notice and even with full prep he would have been a sizable underdog. From what I've read the UFC paid him pretty handsomely for this fight because Tony turned it down leaving only Hooker to fight Islam and they were desperate to keep Islam on this card.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
RE: Diaz vs Chimaev

Giving fighters on the last fight of their contract an unpreferable or disadvantageous match-up is a common UFC practice. They do it to so the fighter has a weakened bargaining position if they're negotiating a new contract coming off a loss, or if they turn the down the fight, they can keep them stuck in limbo.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I honestly thought Jan tapped so quick because of this in the first round. Having all that weight on the upper back/neck not even 5 min after going through that can opener probably felt pretty terrible

The chin is spotty but Glover might honestly have the best overall ground game in the sport. He’s got plenty of submission ability, his top pressure is unreal, and he will literally knock your teeth out with ground and pound.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was looking through the rankings earlier trying to figure out his next best match up. First name that popped out to me was maybe Luque but Burns makes sense also.
Chimaev-Luque would give you a guaranteed next contender (after Edwards if he beats Masvidal), so it makes sense.

I would just be more interested in Chimaev-Burns because of Burns' world class BJJ.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think the UFC is going to try to drag things out with Nate until Conor comes back. I know some people say they don't have interest in that fight anymore, but those type of people are going to end up watching anyway and the casuals will eat it up. It's probably still the biggest PPV headliner the UFC can put together.

The UFC definitely like to kick you in the nuts on your way out, but I don't think they will be as concerned with Nate leaving. First of all, losses don't really effect the Diaz brothers the same way as other fighters, so giving him an L on his way out isn't going to hurt his negotiating power. Second, I can't see Nate fighting in MMA outside of the UFC. His whole schtick has been fighting the best of the best. Is he really going to fight in a second tier MMA organization? To fight who? Can those organizations even afford him? He's definitely going to box Jake Paul, but I don't think the UFC views the celebrity boxing thing as competition. After that, maybe he takes some more boxing fights if the right opponent is there, but I just can't see him going to Bellator to fight Paul Daley or something.

So given that, I think the UFC will be looking at it more as "How can we maximize Nate's last fight?" The 2 options are a) make a f***ton of money or b) try to build up someone like Chimaev off Nate's name. Problem with b) is Nate's got to agree to it.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Islam is going to have to wait to see how 268 plays out... If Chandler wins most likely Islam gets the shot only other person on the rankings above him who could possibly be considered is Dariush. If Gaethje wins he'll probably get the title shot which would leave Islam to fight either Chandler/Dariush or just stay inactive hoping to get the shot after Gaethje.

I honestly don't even understand why Gaethje and Chandler are even considered to get the next title shot. Both of them are coming off losses in title bouts, as far as I'm concerned they need at least two wins. With Poirier/Oliveira happening the end of this year, I think Islam/Dariush needs to happen either end of this year or early 2022. Then the winner of that bout get's the winner of Poirier/Oliveira in spring or summer of 2022. By then hopefully you have another contender or two ready, whether be it Gaethje, Chandler, or whoever.

Even if the UFC decides to not to give Chandler the title shot if he wins, you don't automatically give it to Islam and snub Dariush. According to the timeline we have they can still fight one another in a title eliminator.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I honestly don't even understand why Gaethje and Chandler are even considered to get the next title shot. Both of them are coming off losses in title bouts, as far as I'm concerned they need at least two wins. With Poirier/Oliveira happening the end of this year, I think Islam/Dariush needs to happen either end of this year or early 2022. Then the winner of that bout get's the winner of Poirier/Oliveira in spring or summer of 2022. By then hopefully you have another contender or two ready, whether be it Gaethje, Chandler, or whoever.

Even if the UFC decides to not to give Chandler the title shot if he wins, you don't automatically give it to Islam and snub Dariush. According to the timeline we have they can still fight one another in a title eliminator.
If we get Poirier-Gaethje 2 for the belt, I don't care who deserves what. That's the fight.

Generally speaking, though, I think Islam, Dariush, and the winner of Gaethje-Chandler would all be in similar positions. Islam and Darisuh have longer win streaks obviously, but Gaethje and Chandler have been fighting better competition. I think you could make a case for any of them getting the next title shot except for Chandler if Charlie Olive is still the champ.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If we get Poirier-Gaethje 2 for the belt, I don't care who deserves what. That's the fight.

Generally speaking, though, I think Islam, Dariush, and the winner of Gaethje-Chandler would all be in similar positions. Islam and Darisuh have longer win streaks obviously, but Gaethje and Chandler have been fighting better competition. I think you could make a case for any of them getting the next title shot except for Chandler if Charlie Olive is still the champ.

Regardless of who fights who, Islam vs Dariush is the next title eliminator bout to make, but I'm expecting Ali to do everything he can to make sure Islam by passes that and straight to a title shot, and if that does happen I hope Dariush questions that kind of management.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Masvidal's name coming up as well.

We don't even know if Chimaev can take a punch although I'm sure he has. Burns is available or maybe he was booked, Chimaev took no damage so ready for the quick turnaround again.

I don't think Masvidal is taking that fight... he's too protective of his brand/image these days

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
LHW contenders are in no rush to fight Ankalaev. He is very well rounded and has the striking power to turn off the lights on anyone.

That Paul Craig loss with a second left is a negative mark, but he agressively and needlessly was trying to get a finish in a fight where he was dominating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad