Light Heavyweight bout: Michał Oleksiejczuk vs. Shamil Gamzatov
Featherweight bout: Makwan Amirkhani vs Lerone Murphy
Middleweight bout: Hu Yaozong vs. Andre Petroski
Lightweight bout: Damir Ismagulov vs. Magomed Mustafaev
Flyweight bout: Tagir Ulanbekov vs. Allan Nascimento​

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Certainly not complaining but does anyone know the actual reason this isn't a PPV?

Dana said when they were trying to get it all set up that he was trying to get the card to be on ABC but I guess it never came to fruition and they just decided to keep it free in North America. A lot of people are saying it's due to the start time being so early but wasn't Khabib vs Gaethje an early start too??

Reactions: MMC and Chaels Arms

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
What a great main card; so many Russian fighters. Didn't know it was an afternoon card :thumbu:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think part of it too is that this card would sell like shit. Don't get me wrong, it's a great card for hardcore fans, but there's nothing that's going to pull in more casual fans. So if they had this in their mind to do something like this, makes sense to do it when the card wouldn't sell as much. Plus there is some potential for exciting fights, the Khabib connection with Islam, the Chimaev story, etc. So there are a lot of things to keep the attention of people who happen to tune in and might convert some fans.

Jan-Glover - Never ever count out Glover, but I think Jan takes this. I think at this point in his career, Glover needs some significant holes to exploit in order to win and I don't think Jan has many holes. Against someone who's bigger or faster, sure, but I don't think Glover is that guy. I think Jan will be cautious enough to avoid the takedown and will be good enough defensively if he does get taken down. On the feet, I think Jan is just too much for Glover. Jan by R3 KO.

Yan-Sandhagen -
MK called this a Frankenstein title fight, which I thought was a good way to put it. I'm not complaining, though. This is a banger fighter. Whether it's for the belt, interim belt, or a #1 contender's fight, who cares? It's a great fight. The only person it sucks for is TJ since he'll have to wait for the unification fight in order to get his title fight (assuming Aljo comes back at all). He might need that time anyway, though. I'll take Yan. I think Sandhagen is a little too reckless at times and Yan is a rock. He'll wait for his moment.

Islam-Hooker - Hooker is an absolute badass, but tough fight. Expecting the Dagestani wrestlef*** to victory, but would be awesome to see Hooker pull it off.

Volkov-Tybura
- Kind of a whatever fight. Top 10 HW's so I can't complain about it, but I don't think either of these guys are serious threats to win the belt. I guess I'd go with the younger, but also more experienced guy in Volkov?

Li-Chimaev
- This is a tough return fight for Chimaev. It's his toughest fight in the UFC and who the hell knows how COVID and just the time off has effected him. Having said that, I don't know how good Li really is. His wins don't really jump off the page at you besides Ponz, but that was Ponz's first fight back after a 3 year layoff where he almost died. So in that sense, it's good matchmaking. Either way, this could be spun as a big important next step type win. It's just tough to pick against Chimaev with how electric he has been, even if it was against lesser competition.

Ankalaev-Oezdemir -
There should be some fireworks in this one. I think people unfairly wrote Oezdemir off after the 3 losses in a row, but since, he's beaten Latifi, Rakic, and he was having success against Jiri until he got caught. So it's a good test for Ankalaev. I like this chances to get it done, but Oezdemir is still dangerous.

Ribas-Jandiroba
- Good matchmaking for Ribas, I think (hope). Jandiroba is good, but she's much more of a sub threat. She has a whopping 1 (T)KO in her career and it was due to an arm injury. Ribas should be able to work on her striking in the octagon and protect herself enough on the ground. Either dominate the striking or get a sub on someone with Jandiroba's BJJ would both be good results for her. If she loses, I don't think it's catastrophic, but even I'd admit the hype train was derailed.

I think I picked all the favorites :laugh:, but I think Glover, Sandhagen, Li, and Oezdemir are all live dogs and are all +200 or more. Jandiroba is also a live dog, but she's only around +130.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Islam said on Matt Serra's podcast yesterday that Dan Hooker wanted this to be a five round fight. Islam agreed but the UFC didn't go for it.

Khamzat looked like a sheet of xerox paper at weigh ins.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Seeing some of the weigh in results trickle in... can't to hear why Damir Ismagulov showed up at 163.5lb.

Two title fights and Islam/hooker all coming in good to go so far.
Everybody made weight except for Ismagulov and that fight was cancelled.

Chimaev missed by a half pound on his his attempt, but made it on his second.

Didn't know this, but Jiri weighed in as the backup for the main event.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Islam said on Matt Serra's podcast yesterday that Dan Hooker wanted this to be a five round fight. Islam agreed but the UFC didn't go for it.

Khamzat looked like a sheet of xerox paper at weigh ins.
This is why the UFC doesn't do unique things. You let the Diaz Brothers be in 5 round non-title non-main events and then all of a sudden everybody thinks they should be able to have that, too. Kind of glad the UFC said no. I think that should be saved for special circumstances.

Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jan-Glover - Never ever count out Glover, but I think Jan takes this. I think at this point in his career, Glover needs some significant holes to exploit in order to win and I don't think Jan has many holes. Against someone who's bigger or faster, sure, but I don't think Glover is that guy. I think Jan will be cautious enough to avoid the takedown and will be good enough defensively if he does get taken down. On the feet, I think Jan is just too much for Glover. Jan by R3 KO.

I highly doubt Luke Thomas is combing through a hockey message board to bite my takes, but I can't rule it out:

(about 18:28 to 19:35)

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Anybody else see Yan recreated his knee to Sterling during open workouts this week.

Everybody made weight except for Ismagulov and that fight was cancelled.

Chimaev missed by a half pound on his his attempt, but made it on his second.

Didn't know this, but Jiri weighed in as the backup for the main event.

Was hilarious watching Chimaev pull onto that sheet too much. Cmon man nobody believes you lost five pounds in 40 mins. Lol

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Anybody else see Yan recreated his knee to Sterling during open workouts this week.

Was hilarious watching Chimaev pull onto that sheet too much. Cmon man nobody believes you lost five pounds in 40 mins. Lol
I didn't see what happened exactly. I read he weighed in 3 times. First time was 171.5. Then 166 which was attributed to a "scale malfunction". Then 171.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I didn't see what happened exactly. I read he weighed in 3 times. First time was 171.5. Then 166 which was attributed to a "scale malfunction". Then 171.

Yeah he was holding onto the sheet the first two times and especially on the second attempt he was straight up pulling on it. One of the ufc officials could be heard saying "One what? What is it? Sixty-six? He lost five pounds?"

For the third weigh in the officials made him let go of the sheet and he still made weight. I read in Abu Dhabi there is no commission sanctioning UFC events the UFC itself overlooks all the weigh ins and stuff like that so who knows if there was any shenanigans to keep the card intact.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Honestly I think Nascimento might take this despite all of Ulanbekov’s top time, I don’t think DC is all that accurate in assuming this is Tagir’s. The scoring doesn’t reward top time unless other factors are even and honestly Nascimento has probably landed a similar amount of strikes and has gone for more subs…

edit: strikes were apparently 3 to 1 for Nascimento…so he should technically get this decision if the judges score the way they should. I say this as someone with Ulanbekov in a parlay

Tagir may have stolen the 3rd at the end

Tagir by SD is the result

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
BRUTAL KO knee from Murphy to Amirkhani

Nice KO from Polish Mike to take away Gamzatov’s 0 (I’ve given him a new name)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad