GDT: UFC 266: Volkanovski vs. Ortega

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
And you must be one of those people who feel the need to make insulting generalizations about someone you don't know just because they have a differing opinion than your own...

If you were insulted by any of those words then I'm truly sorry, but you're going to have a really rough time in this little thing called life. None of that should come close to insulting someone, especially on the internet.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It’s at the point where I feel like they should tie Shevchenko’s arm behind her back.

Legit, it’s her and Nunes running show

I think Shevchenko has the biggest chance to fill out all the rubies on the belt. I dont know how those two aren't in the discussion for pound-for-pound goat. No one touched them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Amazing main event. Volkanovski gets criticized for being boring and at times he has earned that reputation but not last night. He was aggressive and fought like a savage throughout that fight. He even went to the ground multiple times, even though that was Ortega's best chance to win. He also showed a lot when he got out of those sub attempts, especially the guillotine that probably would've had most tapping.

Ortega showed a lot of toughness but once again got beat badly in a title fight. No shame in that considering he's fighting in an era with two all-time greats.

Valentina is untouchable at 125. Another flawless performance.

Diaz/Lawler was just sad. I don't care how many punches and combos Diaz landed, he looked awful. You could see it right from the start too when he threw that kick and it looked like it was in slow motion. He had no hand speed and poor cardio. Maybe a case can be made that he could still win fights if he fought at 170 because you could see that the technique is still on point and he was more than willing to throw but at the same, we also just saw Nick Diaz of all people quit so I don't know. That wasn't a fun watch.

Blaydes fought boring but also did exactly what he needed to do. Almost got his ass KO'd once again by ducking into a shot too.

Andrade looked great. She'll still probably beat most at both 115 and 125.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Volkanovski is a monster. Getting out of those subs was incredible. I credit him for that, not Ortega failing. Ortega had only lost one fight and is excellent with submissions. Gotta give Volkanovski credit.

Valentina would be the greatest women's fighter of all-time, but Amanda Nunes does still exist. Would love to see a rematch.

Diaz and Lawler was embarrassing for the sport and I hated everything about it. Both fights looked like dogshit. Looked like I was watching it at 75% speed. Then Nick was just done. Joke of a fight, can't believe the announcers' commentary on it, and I like those announcers.

Blades and Rozenstruik was dogshit too. Rozenstruik looking to be a one punch king and Blades trying not to get hit. Yawn

Andrade, no surprises.

Was glad to see Dan Hooker get a win in the prelims. He called out Dariush. Dariush is good enough to be a future champ. Bad move, Dan.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If you were insulted by any of those words then I'm truly sorry, but you're going to have a really rough time in this little thing called life. None of that should come close to insulting someone, especially on the internet.

You just can't seem to help yourself...

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Holloway is fighting Yair Rodriguiz in November. If Max wins do they do the trilogy already or is there a fresh match up I'm forgetting?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Volkanovski is a monster. Getting out of those subs was incredible. I credit him for that, not Ortega failing. Ortega had only lost one fight and is excellent with submissions. Gotta give Volkanovski credit.

Valentina would be the greatest women's fighter of all-time, but Amanda Nunes does still exist. Would love to see a rematch.

Diaz and Lawler was embarrassing for the sport and I hated everything about it. Both fights looked like dogshit. Looked like I was watching it at 75% speed. Then Nick was just done. Joke of a fight, can't believe the announcers' commentary on it, and I like those announcers.

Blades and Rozenstruik was dogshit too. Rozenstruik looking to be a one punch king and Blades trying not to get hit. Yawn

Andrade, no surprises.

Was glad to see Dan Hooker get a win in the prelims. He called out Dariush. Dariush is good enough to be a future champ. Bad move, Dan.

I still think Valentina is regardless of a rematch. It's just not a fair fight due to the size difference at 135 with Nunes. The problem with both of them is that neither has a significant challenger at 125, 135 or 145.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I still think Valentina is regardless of a rematch. It's just not a fair fight due to the size difference at 135 with Nunes. The problem with both of them is that neither has a significant challenger at 125, 135 or 145.

Can't argue with that comment. I go with Nunes, but I'd just be splitting hairs arguing against Valentina. I'm a big fan of hers too.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
volkanovski said last night max probably doesn’t even need to take the Yair fight to get the rematch but that it shows the kind of guy he is that he’s doing it

Yep exactly. On the MMA Hour earlier this week he reiterated the same thing. He was asked about fighting Cejudo and he said Triple C really doesnt deserve the shot right off the bat. He respects people who go out and earn it like Holloway who didn't need to take Yair to get the title but he respects guys who grind. Although he did say he doesnt really want to have to wait around to fight and wants to fight early next year. If the winner of Max/Yair isn't hurt from the november match up maybe that could work other than that going by the UFC rankings....

1 Holloway- fighting Rodriguez
2 Ortega- Just fought
3 Rodrigues- fighting Holloway
4 Korean Zombie- coming off win for Ige
5 Kattar- we all know how max beat him
6 Allen- gonna be honest I had to look him up he hasn't beaten anyone big yet
7 Emmett- same as Allen
8 Giga- getting the hype train started
9 Ige- lost to zombie

Other than waiting for Max/Yair it's either zombie or Giga... I know he suggested moving up to 155 fighting for the belt there but that division is clogged and the title fight is in December.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yep exactly. On the MMA Hour earlier this week he reiterated the same thing. He was asked about fighting Cejudo and he said Triple C really doesnt deserve the shot right off the bat. He respects people who go out and earn it like Holloway who didn't need to take Yair to get the title but he respects guys who grind. Although he did say he doesnt really want to have to wait around to fight and wants to fight early next year. If the winner of Max/Yair isn't hurt from the november match up maybe that could work other than that going by the UFC rankings....

1 Holloway- fighting Rodriguez
2 Ortega- Just fought
3 Rodrigues- fighting Holloway
4 Korean Zombie- coming off win for Ige
5 Kattar- we all know how max beat him
6 Allen- gonna be honest I had to look him up he hasn't beaten anyone big yet
7 Emmett- same as Allen
8 Giga- getting the hype train started
9 Ige- lost to zombie

Other than waiting for Max/Yair it's either zombie or Giga... I know he suggested moving up to 155 fighting for the belt there but that division is clogged and the title fight is in December.

Giga isn’t ready. Could probably do zombie and get away with it. Wins over Moicano, Ige, and Edgar in his last 4 fights isn’t too shabby. Plus he’s a fan favorite. Normally he’d be undeserving but this is a unique situation where he’s quite literally the only option that makes any sense aside from a Max rematch

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They should just have Volkanovski wait for Max. I think Max is going to do some bad things to Yair and he should be good to go early next year. Yair is good and can pull off some exciting strikes but just go watch that fight against TKZ again or even the latter part of the one against Stephens when he got tired. Now imagine Max with his accuracy and volume going up against him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Looking forward to Max v Volk part 3 to finally put this debate to rest.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
What? Why should Chandler of all people get a shot at the 145 title? He's never fought at featherweight before and there is no lack of contenders in that division.

Volanovski has already beaten the #1 contender twice... he just took out the #2 contender... the #3 contender is set to face the #1 contender... the #4 contender is 1 - 1 over his last 2 fights, with one of those losses against the #2 contender

Volkanovski vs Chandler is a marketable fight that fans would love to see

And while Chandler is coming off a loss, it was against the current 155lb champion

With the exception of the tattoos, everything Chael is saying about Garbrandt also applies to Chandler...

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
So all that is a problem, yet Chandler having one win in another division and getting gifted an unnecessary title shot isn't.

Featherweight is fine as it is and has plenty of prospective match-ups. I don't even know how this is a conversation. Chandler isn't the star you seem to think he is.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Being away for a couple of weeks, just getting around to watching some of these fights.

Volk-Ortega was a good fight. A little disappointing that the head butt was the first real significant shot. That seemed to kind of put Ortega in defense mode, but R3 was one of the best title fight rounds we've seen in a while. I don't think Ortega is as good as some people make him seem, but he is dangerous. How quickly he jumped on that guillotine was crazy. Volk getting out of it and the triangle might be ever crazier. The rest of the fight was alright. Maybe it's because I knew the outcome going in and saw some "fight of the year contender" headlines, but it was just OK. Just hoping Max holds serve against Yair so we can get to Volk-Max 3.

The only other fight I watched was Nick-Robbie. That was even more old man slopfest than I was anticipating. It looked like a money grab for Nick even before the finish and after the finish there was no doubt. I mean, a Diaz bother quitting? He was clearly there to cash a check. I've heard since maybe Nick-Cowboy? I mean, I guess it's at least a fair-ish fight, but it's kind of just sad at this point. Hopefully everything is alright with Nick at home. I'm happy for him if he gets paid, but don't really want to see any more.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad