GDT: UFC 266: Volkanovski vs. Ortega

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If BJJ is your specialty, an opponent should never be able to escape your triangle choke...

He also had full mount on Volkanovski, and within seconds he lost it and ended up on bottom...

Pretty disappointing to see Ortega unable to capitalize on his multiple chances to finish the fight

Reactions: h2

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Still can't believe Volk got out of that mounted guillotine. Absolutely wild.

member 51464

I hope to see a gif of the 3rd round sub attempts pop up. That was pretty nuts.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If Chandler got off the juice, I wonder if he could make 145...

Stylistically, Volkanovski vs Chandler would be a great fight

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If BJJ is your specialty, an opponent should never be able to escape your triangle choke...

He also had full mount on Volkanovski, and within seconds he lost it and ended up on bottom...

Pretty disappointing to see Ortega unable to capitalize on his multiple chances to finish the fight

3rd round with a lot of blood and sweat involved against a guy who isn’t gonna tap, Ortega is about as dangerous as they come with his neck attacks so instead of doubting his ability I’m more willing to give credit to Volkanovski for showing true championship material. I think most fighters are tapping or going to sleep. The fact that Volk was cool as a cucumber in those situations speaks to the caliber of fighter he is. I think he might be my p4p #2

Reactions: Bunk Moreland

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
3rd round with a lot of blood and sweat involved against a guy who isn’t gonna tap, Ortega is about as dangerous as they come with his neck attacks so instead of doubting his ability I’m more willing to give credit to Volkanovski for showing true championship material. I think most fighters are tapping or going to sleep

that and Volk doesn't have much of a neck to choke out :laugh:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Awesome main event, Ortega's toughness is just crazy. I worry about him big time though...even aside from the title beatdowns, he has taken an awful lot of punishment. Classic case of "too tough for his own good".

I still believe Holloway is ever so slightly the best 145er but wouldn't argue anyone calling Volkanovski the featherwight GOAT. He is incredible.

Shevchenko...what can you say. Too good for everyone except Nunes.

Diaz vs Lawler was pretty wild and I commend Nick for throwing down and having some success, but seeing him in there made me uncomfortable for every second of it. It didn't look like he wanted to be in the octagon. Hope he calls it a day and rides off into the sunset with a little extra $ in his pocket, and takes care of himself.

Blaydes and Andrade fights went as expected.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
3rd round with a lot of blood and sweat involved against a guy who isn’t gonna tap, Ortega is about as dangerous as they come with his neck attacks so instead of doubting his ability I’m more willing to give credit to Volkanovski for showing true championship material. I think most fighters are tapping or going to sleep. The fact that Volk was cool as a cucumber in those situations speaks to the caliber of fighter he is. I think he might be my p4p #2

Having Craig Jones around can't hurt.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

This is a horrible take. Deep in the 3rd round with blood and sweat on both fighters, he obviously had the skills to lock up the submissions but didn't have the energy for the squeeze and to keep the grip long enough for the sub. That much sweat and blood making slipping out easier.

Ortega was going for submission over position, so he risks top position to go for the finish

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I just checked my Facebook and saw that Max has been live streaming himself playing Call of Duty since about ten minutes before the main event started lol.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
This is a horrible take. Deep in the 3rd round with blood and sweat on both fighters, he obviously had the skills to lock up the submissions but didn't have the energy for the squeeze and to keep the grip long enough for the sub. That much sweat and blood making slipping out easier.

Ortega was going for submission over position, so he risks top position to go for the finish

I don't care if they're covered in baby oil, if you're an expert in BJJ and your entire game plan revolves around securing a submission, you can not let your opponent escape a triangle choke...

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It looked to me that Ortega wanted out after the 3rd rd...

He had to be pulled off the mat to reach his stool, and when Herb and the doctor were checking his eye, he seemed very noncommittal about continuing... like he was halfheartedly saying what he's supposed to say so the fight won't be stopped, but also hoping it will be

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The judge who gave 50-44 is a f***ing idiot.

Amazing fight otherwise, might be FOTY. Even though I'm a Max fanboy and thought he won the rematch, Volk has the heart and mentality of a champion. He was practically blue escaping those submissions. Unreal

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
POTN went to Merab and Daukaus

FOTN went to the main event

Poor Semelsberger, Dana better cut that boy off a check under the table. I guess it’s because the guy he fought had no business being there

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Easier said than done. You must be one of those people who yells "SHOOT!" at hockey games too eh?

And you must be one of those people who feel the need to make insulting generalizations about someone you don't know just because they have a differing opinion than your own...

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It’s at the point where I feel like they should tie Shevchenko’s arm behind her back.

Legit, it’s her and Nunes running show

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
My favorite thing Valentina did was rag doll murphy at the end of round 1 to let her know decisively that there was absolutely zero path to victory.

also volkanovski strikes me as a under the radar lunatic. Like if he didn’t fight in a cage he would be killing transients or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad