PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, TSN 5)

Bantamweight bout: Marlon Moraes vs. Merab Dvalishvili
Lightweight bout: Dan Hooker vs. Nasrat Haqparast
Heavyweight bout: Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Chris Daukaus
Women's Flyweight bout: Roxanne Modafferi vs. Taila Santos

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Uroš Medić vs. Jalin Turner
Middleweight bout: Karl Roberson vs. Nick Maximov
Welterweight bout: Matthew Semelsberger vs. Martin Sano Jr.
Featherweight bout: Jonathan Pearce vs. Omar Morales​

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This card is so stacked. Two fights on the prelims could open the PPV and no one would complain.

Watch Diaz/Lawler 1 if you haven't seen it yet. Watch it again if you have.

Reactions: weems and 16Skippy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Diaz interview on ESPN is a rough watch even for his standards. I’ve gone from not wanting to see him fight again when it was clear he wasn’t right, to getting excited once he moved back to California and started training again, and now I don’t know what to think.

He has been off for six years, had to get the weight class changed the week of the fight, and it seems the only reason he’s doing this is because he needs the money.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Thankfully, I will be on vacation starting Friday afternoon.

Unfortunately, I will be off the grid for one of the best PPV's of the year.

Volk-Ortega : I think Volk wins and makes it look easy. That's not to say I think it's a no brainer. It's a good fight. Ortega obviously has the BJJ and power to find a finish, but I think Volk is too good. Ortega doesn't have great takedowns and Volk is a good wrestler, so I think it stays standing. Volk is such a tactician on the feet and doesn't really take risks like Max does, so I don't think Ortega will be able to land clean, either. I don't know if we have really seen Volk's chin tested or not, though, so if Ortega does win, I think it is by KO or he hurts him with a punch and then jumps on him and finds a sub.

Valentina-Murphy : I hope it's a quick one for y'all watching live.

Nick-Lawler : When one of the guys in the main event is calling this the main event, you know it's a big fight (even if it's not a particularly meaningful fight). I think BC on MK put it best, hopefully this gets a little sloppy with some back and forth momentum swings ala Lawler-Askren. No idea who wins. Anyone who says they do is lying.

Blaydes-Rozenstruik : I don't like puncher's chance's, so I'd go with Blaydes. But Blaydes has struggled with big power punchers before (Francis (x2), Lewis). I think Blaydes, but wouldn't be comfortable with the odds.

Andrade-Calvillo : Kind of the same as Blaydes-Rozenstruik. I think Andrade, but Andrade usually relies on bullying her opponents. Calvillo is physically strong and I think naturally bigger. I'd go with Andrade, but not feel good about it.

Moraes-Merab : This is a big fight for both guys. Big step up in competition for Merab and Moraes really needs a win. Being 33 coming off 3 straight losses at BW is not where you want to be. Tough fight for Moreas, though. I think Merab wins.

Hooker-Haqparast : Bad asses. Props to both guys for even making it to the fight, especially if they both make weight. If they moved Nick-Robbie to 185 the week of the fight, they should have moved this one to 170. I'm surprised the odds are so close. I think Hooker wins. He just has much more experience at the highest level and although 9 of Haqparast's wins have been by KO, only one of them was in the UFC. Hooker's tough as nails, too. I don't know. I can't help but to look at this as a get right fight for Hooker and he's only a -150 favorite. Maybe I just don't know enough about Haqparast.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
The Diaz interview on ESPN is a rough watch even for his standards. I’ve gone from not wanting to see him fight again when it was clear he wasn’t right, to getting excited once he moved back to California and started training again, and now I don’t know what to think.

He has been off for six years, had to get the weight class changed the week of the fight, and it seems the only reason he’s doing this is because he needs the money.

I liked when he said who ever made this fight happen is an idiot lol.

I won't lie though, I'm waiting for this fight more than any other on the card. Even though it's so stacked.

Reactions: Avs_19

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I think both Nate and Nick are awkward during interviews overall, however, if I didn't know that I would say he's struggling with something mentally or physically. He didn't seem too excited and or positive about the fight but maybe it's just him.

Reactions: Avs_19

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Featherweight Championship bout: Alexander Volkanovski (c) vs. Brian Ortega
Women’s Flyweight Championship bout: Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Lauren Murphy
Middleweight bout: Nick Diaz vs. Robbie Lawler
Heavyweight bout: Curtis Blaydes vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
Women’s Flyweight bout: Jessica Andrade vs. Cynthia Calvillo

Predictions in bold. Guess I'm in the minority thinking Ortega wins this.

Reactions: 16Skippy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I got Lawler at -110 and he’s now -140 and growing

Medic is -125 against Jalin Turner, I’m all over that

Volkanovski -185. Dan Hooker -145

Last edited:

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Diaz interview really didnt inspire confidence. Im afraid he comes back and lays an egg, just collecting a paycheck. I also think he should win, and could win on the ground rather easily.

I've got Ortega in the main event, Volk is tough but I think ortega is ultra motivated, confident, and more dynamic.

Also got moraes and maximov.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah, this is shaping up to be an interesting one. I was so excited to see Diaz's return but something ain't right there. He's even more disinterested than before, if he seems this unmotivated the days before the fight, how was he in training? I'm taking Lawler just for being in the sport still.

Ortega, Shevchenko, Lawler, Blaydes, Andrade, Merab, and Hooker.

I think there's a good chance Blaydes could get decapitated again if he's not careful though but he should run right through this fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Zero excuse to miss weight for any fighters on the roster now that Hooker and Haqparast both made weight

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The original Lawler/Diaz fight is on the home page of ESPN+, worth the watch. Rogan's voice is so high it sounds like he's on helium. The ref yells at them to pick up the pace like 20 seconds in and then again when Nick is talking trash. Different times back then.
Also keep in mind Steve Mazzagatti is one of the worst refs ever

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Volk at -175 or whatever is surprising. I would've expected him to be a considerably bigger favorite.

Lawler went from near even to -150 in just a few days. That's a big shift.

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm going with Volkanovski by decision. He's just too good at what he does and I don't think Ortega has the striking or wrestling to beat him. Ortega's one big advantage is on the ground but he has to get it there first.

Valentina by whatever she wants.

It's really tough to make a prediction on Diaz/Lawler because of how much is unknown but one thing to keep in mind, especially if you're betting on the fight, is that this is a five round fight and not three rounds. Diaz is well known for his cardio but how much will his age, time off, the weight, etc affect that? Lawler hasn't looked good recently and just isn't throwing a lot. If that continues then Diaz could win this with volume, even if his cardio isn't on point.

Can't wait for this entire card tomorrow night.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad