GDT: UFC 264: Poirier vs. McGregor 3

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Conor dug his fingers into Khabib's gloves also and I think Khabib also let Herb Dean know it during the round.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but two judges had the first round scored 10-8 for Poirier.

Reactions: I am not exposed

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Conor dug his fingers into Khabib's gloves also and I think Khabib also let Herb Dean know it during the round.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but two judges had the first round scored 10-8 for Poirier.
Yep, Herb Dean didn't do shit either time. I'm glad Dustin brought up the cheating because for some strange reason it hardly gets mentioned (if ever) by mainstream media and analysts when they talk about the Khabib-Conor fight. It always seems to get brought up how Conor 'defended well' and 'did better' against Khabib than guys like Poirier and Gaethje did, yet they completely ignore that if it weren't for all the fouls and cheating, particularly an illegal knee from the bottom, Conor would've had his arm savagely broken from a kimura in round 2.

And yeah I saw the 10-8s, but I suspect that they gave that score because they thought Poirier knocked Conor down at the end. I wouldn't personally give that 10-8 when I have seen more dominant rounds only get a 10-9. Conor did have some moments even though he was getting his ass whooped overall.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Every ref has their screw ups, but they seem to be piling up faster for Herb than other refs. Maybe that's because he gets more of the prominent fights so it's just noticed more, but I brace myself every time he's the ref nowadays.

I heard that about the 10-8's, but they would have been factoring in the end there. Before that, I think it was 10-9 Poirier. A very clear, decisive 10-9, but I don't think he gets a 10-8 without what appeared to be a knock down and nearly finishing the fight.

Reactions: 1specter

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Sanko interview with Kavanagh is good to watch in its entirety. While I like Kavanagh (especially given how he seems to be the complete opposite of McGregor) the reveal that they were actually training McGregor to purposefully attempt guillotine chokes on Poirier because "Conor has a great guillotine" and "Poirier leaves his head exposed" is just hilarious to me. The man has been submitted twice in his career and those were to Khabib and Zombie and he was pretty much knocked out by an uppercut seconds before Zombie submitted him. Conor last submitted someone named Dave Hill at Cage Warriors 47 in 2012.

I agree with him saying Rogan interviewing Conor in that moment was absurd. Kavanagh is such a nice guy and has been on Rogan's podcast in the past so you can tell that seriously bothered him.
Yeah, thinking about this more, they did Conor a disservice there. Dude has adrenaline rushing through his body, his leg is folded in half, he's probably embarrassed, desperate, and scared. And then he makes a complete ass out of himself because of it.

Although, I saw he tweeted "You need people like me." in reference to the Scareface quote. So I guess he's OK being the bad guy again if it makes him more money down the line. That post fight interview will go a long way in people thinking he's the bad guy, again.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Yeah, thinking about this more, they did Conor a disservice there. Dude has adrenaline rushing through his body, his leg is folded in half, he's probably embarrassed, desperate, and scared. And then he makes a complete ass out of himself because of it.

Although, I saw he tweeted "You need people like me." in reference to the Scareface quote. So I guess he's OK being the bad guy again if it makes him more money down the line. That post fight interview will go a lone way in people thinking he's the bad guy, again.
That entire segment with Conor reminded me of Tony Montana melting down or Lonzo (Denzel Washington) in Training Day yelling at the neighbourhood when he knew he was toast.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Every ref has their screw ups, but they seem to be piling up faster for Herb than other refs. Maybe that's because he gets more of the prominent fights so it's just noticed more, but I brace myself every time he's the ref nowadays.

I heard that about the 10-8's, but they would have been factoring in the end there. Before that, I think it was 10-9 Poirier. A very clear, decisive 10-9, but I don't think he gets a 10-8 without what appeared to be a knock down and nearly finishing the fight.

I've said it many times, but I think it's that Herb Dean is just too physically lazy of a ref now. He is too far away from the action and instead of being in correct positions he just stays in places where he can avoid getting in the fighters way. Being a ref is mostly mental but you need to physically be able to move with the action while maintaining distance and he just doesn't do it anymore. His angle for the O'Malley stoppage was brutal as well. I have no doubt that smart fighters get away with a ton when they know he's the ref as he won't see their infraction and certainly won't take a point anyway.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've said it many times, but I think it's that Herb Dean is just too physically lazy of a ref now. He is too far away from the action and instead of being in correct positions he just stays in places where he can avoid getting in the fighters way. Being a ref is mostly mental but you need to physically be able to move with the action while maintaining distance and he just doesn't do it anymore. His angle for the O'Malley stoppage was brutal as well. I have no doubt that smart fighters get away with a ton when they know he's the ref as he won't see their infraction and certainly won't take a point anyway.
I'm not sure how old Herb is, but got to wonder how much age is playing a factor in that. He's been doing this a long time. He's not exactly the lightest guy out there either.

Reactions: m9

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm not sure how old Herb is, but got to wonder how much age is playing a factor in that. He's been doing this a long time. He's not exactly the lightest guy out there either.

Herb also runs a camp training all these new guys. I actually looked into it.

Yeah, he does seem slow and awkward now. It was probably the right move to stop that fight and save the kid some abuse but it's just not consistent with other fights. If that's the rule nearly every Diaz fight would be stopped before he gets going.

I miss Big John and he's actually a pretty good analyst now. I hope the UFC gets him back one day.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I think at this point, you can say that Conor McGregor is a fraud.

He isn't a good fighter anymore, yet talks like he is.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
C862216D-108E-4116-9775-BE68677A4EF6.jpeg

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Can't believe the people acting like it was a fluke without closure. Poirier would never get the chance again if he was the one who got injured.

Poirier won the round decisively, Conor looked sloppy on the feet at the end and wasted energy early on, plus the guillotine attempt. Thought it was trending horribly for Conor, he was breathing hard and didn't have his usual sharpness/precision. Low fight IQ in that one, to me he has noticeably fallen off.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Can't believe the people acting like it was a fluke without closure. Poirier would never get the chance again if he was the one who got injured.

Poirier won the round decisively, Conor looked sloppy on the feet at the end and wasted energy early on, plus the guillotine attempt. Thought it was trending horribly for Conor, he was breathing hard and didn't have his usual sharpness/precision. Low fight IQ in that one, to me he has noticeably fallen off.

he was also throwing a lot of spinny shit, just a really terrible strategy overall in terms of gas tank management

maybe the plan was to empty it all out and try to get him out of there in 1. He got smashed instead so it didn’t go so hot….

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I think there is a couple of things going on.

1. Conor fan bois.

2. There's so much money involved with keeping Conor on this pedestal for the UFC, the other fighters, media outlets, etc. Everyone makes more with Conor. Saying it was because of a fluke injury keeps the cash cow alive for the next Conor fight moreso than admitting he got beat by the better fighter.

3. There's been a lot of overreaction the other way as well. He might lose to everybody in the top 10 now, but it's an overreaction to say that he will lose to everybody in the top 10 based on him losing to Khabib (GLWOAT) and Poirier (best active LW who also happens to be a bad matchup for him). So I think there is some trying to balance the scales from some as well.

But I completely agree when it comes to Poirier. He is just clearly better than Conor at this point. We don't need to see more to prove it.

Reactions: 1specter and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
he was also throwing a lot of spinny shit, just a really terrible strategy overall in terms of gas tank management

maybe the plan was to empty it all out and try to get him out of there in 1. He got smashed instead so it didn’t go so hot….
His IQ in the last two Dustin fights have been terrible. The first fight I could attribute it to maybe ring rust or underestimating Poirier (it seemed like he thought it was gonna be like 2014 again where he just KOed him with ease), and he actually landed some good shots on Dustin in that fight, but I have no idea what the hell he was thinking the second time around. That guillotine was a total panic move when Dustin started to put the pressure on. It also seemed like he was just blasting kicks for the sake of it rather than actually setting them up with combos, and in the process he f***ed up his leg cause Dustin read that shit and checked it.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It's a picture of Poirier with his daughter. It's not like he was saying it about his daughter. Still, pretty f***ed up.

I hope Poirier goes the Khabib route and never even gives him the opportunity.

McGregor could have easily used a picture of Poirier that didn't have his daughter in it though. The fact that his kid was included was no accident. It just goes to show how big a piece of shit Conor really is.

Part of me doesn't want Poirier to ever oblige McGregor again, but the other half of me does want them to fight one more time just so Poirier can give him the worst ass whooping he's ever received.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad