GDT: UFC 264: Poirier vs. McGregor 3

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People Will disagree but to me nothing got settled, I got no issue with Dustin winning but I want to see him win because he WON, not because of a broken ankle especially in what was supposed to be a rubber match.

If Dustin is going to win then I want no doubt about the outcome and we didn't get that.

And before anyone asks yes, I do want to see Wideman VS Hall again for the same reason.

No Wideman VS Silva is not the same they were not 1-1 Nor was it their 1st fight

conor was having his skull dribbled off the canvas by elbows, he was on his way to taking a bigger beating than what khabib gave him

they’ll fight a 4th time but they shouldn’t- they aren’t on the same level. I honestly think Conor struggles with a lot of the top 15 at this point. His best matchup in the top 10 might be getting Dariush into a fire fight- even then he’s a takedown away from losing

Last edited:

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Was looking at Mcgregor’s record and I know he’s gone through few breaks of not fighting but I was actually surprised to see the last time he won a fight that wasn’t someone washed up(Cowboy), was Eddie Alvarez almost 5 years ago.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't know that I agree with that. Conor landed more volume, a lot of kicks, but Poirier had him hurt on the feet and turned him into a wrestler again.
Good point. Still, he was not getting his ass beat for 4.5 minutes. I need to watch the last sequence again as it wasn't obvious in real-time that Conor broke his ankle. Did Dustin just jump on him and he continued to wrestle with him for the last 10 seconds or so? If so have to give Conor some props there.

I actually broke my ankle like this in 2003.. It required a few screws and I also had a ruptured tendon. No weight on it for a couple of months followed up by a couple of months of rehab. It was never the same as before, probably stronger but I lost a lot of range of motion due to the scar tissue. Conor will have a much better surgeon but it's going to f*** with him.

The best example I remember of coming back from a break like this quickly is TO in the Superbowl, however, they are all a bit different.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Was looking at Mcgregor’s record and I know he’s gone through few breaks of not fighting but I was actually surprised to see the last time he won a fight that wasn’t someone washed up(Cowboy), was Eddie Alvarez almost 5 years ago.

literally hasn’t beaten somebody that’s relevant since the Obama administration

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Have said it for years. It's garbage.

Poirier is probably my favourite fighter at this point; I love his conferences, he's a great fighter, he's at least on the surface a good role model. He's gone through some shit and come out the other side a better person for it (it seems, you never really know these people).

diamond is great, he seems like a guy you would want your kid to look up to. He’s usually very graceful with how he talks about his opponents and he genuinely cares about those less fortunate than himself.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
conor was having his skull dribbled off the canvas by elbows, he was on his way to taking a bigger beating than what khabib gave him

they’ll fight a 4th time but they shouldn’t- they aren’t on the same level. I honestly think Conor struggles with a lot of the top 15 at this point. His best matchup in the top 10 might be getting Dariush into a fire fight- even then he’s a takedown away from losing
I said this years back; I would have taken any of the top 5 LWs over Conor when he wanted to come back (and he fought Cowboy instead, who I thought would have done better than he did but he washed up fast). Now the field is even stronger IMO. Feed him to Makhachev next or something if everyone else is ducking him. Would make for a nice storyline and an easy win.

I genuinely don't know how anyone could look at Conor and Poirier after this fight (and the last one) and think they're on the same level. Who is McGregor beating in the top 10 of the LW division at this point outside of a flash KO?

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I said this years back; I would have taken any of the top 5 LWs over Conor when he wanted to come back (and he fought Cowboy instead, who I thought would have done better than he did but he washed up fast). Now the field is even stronger IMO. Feed him to Makhachev next or something if everyone else is ducking him. Would make for a nice storyline and an easy win.

I genuinely don't know how anyone could look at Conor and Poirier after this fight (and the last one) and think they're on the same level. Who is McGregor beating in the top 10 of the LW division at this point outside of a flash KO?

I think he’s a good matchup for Hooker and that’s about it. Even then Hooker used to be able to absorb a lot of damage, so if he doesn’t get hooker out of there quick he could get got later in the fight

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I think he’s a good matchup for Hooker and that’s about it. Even then Hooker used to be able to absorb a lot of damage, so if he doesn’t get hooker out of there quick he could get got later in the fight

Yeah, Hooker has a similar mindset to Cowboy. Which would suit Conor. Considering Ferguson's recent performances, Conor would stand a decent chance against him. Ferguson looks done imo.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, Hooker has a similar mindset to Cowboy. Which would suit Conor. Considering Ferguson's recent performances, Conor would stand a decent chance against him. Ferguson looks done imo.

true about Tony, that’s probably his best bet. Forgot about him

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching weighing in and Thompson just went from being kinda a dick to Aldana about her looks to saying O’Malley has no power

CTE is real

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
No one at 155 feels his power and he does not have a great chin. According to the McGregor fans Khabib can't throw punches yet he landed more knockdowns than Conor did on the feet. Same with both of the past two fights against Poirier. Conor initiated the clinch because Poirier rocked him, it was an identical replay of what he did in the first Diaz fight. He's not even a glass cannon anymore (at least at 155), he's just glass.

Ironically enough fighting a 4th time only benefits Poirier. What does that fight do for Conor? He's not beating Dustin and he can have an easier time at the office and probably make more money fighting Nate or Masvidal. He could use the boost of having someone who will participate in the back and forth during buildup. Poirier is not that guy and I think that is the one of the factors in why so much of the buildup to this fight was cringey and awkward.

Reactions: I am not exposed

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hooker and Ferguson would be two good fights for Conor I think I agree; at least ones based on recent performances where he could have a decent chance of winning. Though that said...I think both of those guys beat Conor tbh. Even as bad as Ferguson has looked I don't think that Conor is taking him out in the first round, and he pushes a pace that Conor can't hang with nor does he have the wrestling to neutralize Tony. Hooker did get taken out by Chandler but...idk, I still think he would win. Actually Chandler is probably the best match-up for Conor in the LW top 10 now that I think about it; very similar to Alvarez...I would say a bit more explosive, but just isn't a smart fighter and very hittable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No one at 155 feels his power and he does not have a great chin. According to the McGregor fans Khabib can't throw punches yet he landed more knockdowns than Conor did on the feet. Same with both of the past two fights against Poirier. Conor initiated the clinch because Poirier rocked him, it was an identical replay of what he did in the first Diaz fight. He's not even a glass cannon anymore (at least at 155), he's just glass.

Ironically enough fighting a 4th time only benefits Poirier. What does that fight do for Conor? He's not beating Dustin and he can have an easier time at the office and probably make more money fighting Nate or Masvidal. He could use the boost of having someone who will participate in the back and forth during buildup. Poirier is not that guy and I think that is the one of the factors in why so much of the buildup to this fight was cringey and awkward.
McGregor wants no part of Masvidal. That would be an incredibly one sided beating.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Good point. Still, he was not getting his ass beat for 4.5 minutes. I need to watch the last sequence again as it wasn't obvious in real-time that Conor broke his ankle. Did Dustin just jump on him and he continued to wrestle with him for the last 10 seconds or so? If so have to give Conor some props there.

I actually broke my ankle like this in 2003.. It required a few screws and I also had a ruptured tendon. No weight on it for a couple of months followed up by a couple of months of rehab. It was never the same as before, probably stronger but I lost a lot of range of motion due to the scar tissue. Conor will have a much better surgeon but it's going to f*** with him.

The best example I remember of coming back from a break like this quickly is TO in the Superbowl, however, they are all a bit different.
I said the better part of 4.5min. Conor came out like a bat out of hell for the first whatever it was...30s...45s...1min, but after that it was all Poirier and clearly Poirier won the round even before Conor broke his leg.

The ending sequence...Conor fell down and shelled up. I don't blame him one bit of that, but he wasn't really fighting back. He was just trying to survive and got saved by the bell.

Yeah, I'm not sure of any good examples of a fighter coming back from this type of injury. Weidman and Anderson are the 2 most prominent examples. Both are/were old by that time so it will be/was hard to judge how much was the injury and how much was age. He will have the best surgeon, best rehab, and let's be honest, probably the best drugs to get back as close to 100% as possible. But he's not going to be getting better during that time. He's already missed out on years of training when he was off boxing and globe trotting while the rest of the guys in the division have been in the gym honing their craft. I will give Conor props if he ever steps foot in the octagon with Poirier again. I'm expecting he will at least fight Nate again, but other than that, I don't know.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I think Conor has a chance against Oliveira, Chandler, Dariush, and Hooker.

I think Conor has no chance against Poirier, Gaethje, or Islam.

I'm split on Tony, RDA, and Gregor. I think Conor would piece up Tony early, but Tony's got a freak chin (as long as Gaethje didn't break it). Tony could drag that fight into the later rounds and pour it on Conor. I don't think Conor would be able to KO RDA, but I can't forget Eddie KOing RDA in the first round. Gregor could end up wrestlef***ing him, but he's just not proven enough against top of the division strikers. But let's be serious, Gregor isn't getting that fight anyway.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Conor has a chance against Oliveira, Chandler, Dariush, and Hooker.

I think Conor has no chance against Poirier, Gaethje, or Islam.

I'm split on Tony, RDA, and Gregor. I think Conor would piece up Tony early, but Tony's got a freak chin (as long as Gaethje didn't break it). Tony could drag that fight into the later rounds and pour it on Conor. I don't think Conor would be able to KO RDA, but I can't forget Eddie KOing RDA in the first round. Gregor could end up wrestlef***ing him, but he's just not proven enough against top of the division strikers. But let's be serious, Gregor isn't getting that fight anyway.

I agree with pretty much all this. There are a bunch of ranked guys Conor would be very competitive with. Poirier is just really, really good and Conor isn't there right now.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking back, I always thought Conor fighting Poirier a 2nd time made no sense for him and he should have gone in a different direction. He had already beaten Poirier and had little to gain from fighting him again, especially with the improvements Poirier had made.

Massive tactical error in his career when there were other options out there.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Looking back, I always thought Conor fighting Poirier a 2nd time made no sense for him and he should have gone in a different direction. He had already beaten Poirier and had little to gain from fighting him again, especially with the improvements Poirier had made.

Not only that but he basically stole the Poirier fight from Ferguson. I remember Dustin and Tony being buddy buddy for a day or two acting like they were going to hold out for better pay and then Dustin and Conor spun their charity fight talk into a real fight.

Chandler or RDA would have been better choices. Conor welcoming Chandler to the UFC would have been fun.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I thought it was a good matchup for Conor going into their second fight. Poirier gets hit, has been KO'ed a couple of times (granted only once at LW), and Conor hits hard. It would have been an extremely legit win that could have justified a Khabib rematch. Even going into the 3rd fight, I thought maybe if he didn't get taken down so early and landed clean it might be enough. Nope. Turns out Poirier has a rock chin nowadays.

I don't really remember who would have been a better option at the time. Oliveira and Dariush weren't thought of as legit yet and unknown to casual fans. I'm not sure Chandler was even in the UFC yet. Maybe Hooker? The rest are I think bad matchups, too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not only that but he basically stole the Poirier fight from Ferguson. I remember Dustin and Tony being buddy buddy for a day or two acting like they were going to hold out for better pay and then Dustin and Conor spun their charity fight talk into a real fight.

Chandler or RDA would have been better choices. Conor welcoming Chandler to the UFC would have been fun.

Hard to blame Poirier there, though. He saw the chance to make huge $ and never looked back. He definitely did Ferguson dirty but it was obviously the right decision.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought it was a good matchup for Conor going into their second fight. Poirier gets hit, has been KO'ed a couple of times (granted only once at LW), and Conor hits hard. It would have been an extremely legit win that could have justified a Khabib rematch. Even going into the 3rd fight, I thought maybe if he didn't get taken down so early and landed clean it might be enough. Nope. Turns out Poirier has a rock chin nowadays.

I don't really remember who would have been a better option at the time. Oliveira and Dariush weren't thought of as legit yet and unknown to casual fans. I'm not sure Chandler was even in the UFC yet. Maybe Hooker? The rest are I think bad matchups, too.

Hooker was the guy who I thought would have been the best fit. Top guy that he hasn't fought yet and still puts him in line for a title shot if he wins. Ferguson would have been good too, though everyone thought Poirier/Ferguson was going to happened so nobody really suggested it. Obviously Nate was an option, too.

Of course maybe Conor beats those guys and then fights Poirier for a title and loses anyways so it doesn't change much. Or maybe Conor just loses to someone different.

It would be interesting to hear from Conor why he ultimately chose Poirier. I think it's because he already beat him so he thought he could prep less and it would be an easier fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hooker was the guy who I thought would have been the best fit. Top guy that he hasn't fought yet and still puts him in line for a title shot if he wins. Ferguson would have been good too, though everyone thought Poirier/Ferguson was going to happened so nobody really suggested it. Obviously Nate was an option, too.

Of course maybe Conor beats those guys and then fights Poirier for a title and loses anyways so it doesn't change much. Or maybe Conor just loses to someone different.

It would be interesting to hear from Conor why he ultimately chose Poirier. I think it's because he already beat him so he thought he could prep less and it would be an easier fight.
Hooker, I could buy. Although, up to that point, Hooker had shown to be pretty damn durable himself. Chandler basically one punch KOing him has changed that a little bit, but at that time, he went to war with Poirier for 5 rounds and took an incredible beating from Barboza that only ended up a KO due to a body shot. He hadn't been KO'ed besides that. I also think there is something to be said for facing a former interim champ and title challenger instead of an up-and-comer who had just lost to that former interim champ. Looks better if you win and doesn't look as bad if you lose.

As I said, I'm kind of on the fence with Tony now, but at that time, I definitely thought Tony was a bad matchup due to his chin. Conor may or may not hit as hard as Gaethje, but I don't think there's any way Conor would be able to keep the pace Gaethje did in that fight.

I've been saying it for years, but I think Conor is keeping that Nate fight in his back pocket as a last cash grab before he retires. That fight will always sell, so exhaust every other option first.

I think it's as simple as Poirier was a legitimate opponent who he thought he could KO again.

Reactions: m9

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Agreed. Conor is very lucky (ironically) that the fight ended how it did. It gives him and fans the excuse of 'freak injury' rather than it being a definitive win for Dustin, even though in reality Dustin had been piecing him up.

Even the leg break, it was because Dustin checked Conor's kick. Some fans are hanging onto the fact that Conor was doing damage early and was also landing some elbows from the bottom, but really once Dustin weathered the storm and actually got to work he dominated Conor to the point where he had to cheat. Conor was mocking him prior to the fight saying if he shoots first he's a 'dusty bitch' yet Conor is the one who actually initiated the clinch when he was getting schooled by Dustin's combination punching in this sequence:

Then he shoots for a desperate guillotine and ends up putting himself in a compromising position where Dustin mostly chews him up, until Conor starts cheating like below:

It's clear to me that if the leg break doesn't happen, Conor gets finished again. Dustin has simply surpassed him as a fighter, he is bigger and stronger, his boxing has evolved to where he's arguably the best combination puncher in the UFC, and he is also able to mix in some grappling and low kicks effectively. This is the difference between a man who has been grinding his ass off to the top trying to create his legacy for the last 5 years vs a man who briefly hit the top 5 years ago, cashed out and then decided to check out instead of continuing to grind out a legacy.

Also saw this comment on Reddit which made me chuckle

Damn man Conor took L after L after L tonight.
Lost. Broke his leg. Embarrassed himself shouting nonsense. Got the bird from jolie. Had to give an interview with a sitting joe Rogan (pure comedy) claimed the stretcher shit then left in one. Made a gotcha ear post then got his bloodied up. Said only knockouts count then went for a submission. "First to shoots a dusty bitch'' then shoots first. Man's a walking (on one leg) L tonight

Guy is a total clown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad