GDT: UFC 260: Miocic vs. Ngannou 2

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Fighters need to stop signing these long term deals if you want the UFC to “show you the money”

Reactions: m9

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If Jones beats The Almighty Ngannou then no one can question his GOAT status
Until he gets busted juicing again. if I am Dana, I am demanding the most harsh random testing known to man

What about first time he beat him?
the first time when he was flagged for suspicious testosterone?

history has shown us what that meant. jones is and always has been a cheat. his legacy is worthless and wiped.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jones is just in an idiot, I think most of them are using something at some point so I don't bother to get caught up in the what, when and how.

and if Jones wants to hold out for more money, just let him sit and rot.
Yeah, how dare a fighter want to get paid more when the UFC underpays most of their roster

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Until he gets busted juicing again. if I am Dana, I am demanding the most harsh random testing known to man

history has shown us what that meant. jones is and always has been a cheat. his legacy is worthless and wiped.
Dana White doesn't have anything to do with random testing.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm happy for Francis and he deserves it, it's an amazing story. But man, I'm shook from seeing that happen to Stipe. :( That was hard to stomach. Dunno where he goes from here, beating this version of Ngannou may be impossible.

I also feel sad for Tyron. He really tried this time, came out with a different game plan and everything and pushed the pace but still got caught. Time for him to hang it up.

Reactions: CDJ and m9

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't care about claiming he's still undefeated so much. Fighters justify loses all sorts of ways. But O'Malley has started rubbing me the wrong way with all the talk about social media and trying to become famous and trying to create viral moments and stuff like that. It's obvious that's what he's trying to do, but something about verbalizing it makes it that much less appealing to me.

you’re upset that a guy is trying to make viral moments? Seems odd to dislike a guy for making fights as entertaining as possible

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The Jones situation is very interesting. Jones v Ngannou is a legitimate super fight. In my opinion with the way Ngannou just annihilated a fighter at the level of Stipe that's the best fight the promotion can put together in any weight class short of Jones cutting down a ton of weight and fighting Adesanya somewhere.

Jones has done the work to prepare for a move to heavyweight. He's not lying about having done that. You can see it; the guy is noticeably huge now. The flipside to him having so heavily advertised all the muscle mass he's added and all the preparation he's made to move up to HW is he's also kind of stuck now. Moving down a weight class isn't going to be all that easy or fast just from a diet and nutrition perspective. Plus, him going down now to fight Jan and ducking Ngannou after almost a year of hyping up that weight class change would just be such a blatant ***** move that no amount of social media or UFC promo material would be able to cover it up. It also wouldn't net him nearly as much money as the Ngannou fight.

Ultimately, I actually think Jones v. Ngannou gets made. There's just too much money to be had by everyone on all sides. I believe Jones and his team will come up with a gameplan they believe can neutralize some of the threats Ngannou poses. Jones already took a shot at Stipe this morning on twitter implying it was stupid of him to show up weighing 230 against Ngannou and that he "wouldn't just stand there" like Stipe did. If he's hesitant now, the money and some more preparation and planning will get him into the octagon IMO.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
you’re upset that a guy is trying to make viral moments? Seems odd to dislike a guy for making fights as entertaining as possible
I'm not 'upset' about anything, but no, I just don't like him constantly talking about that stuff. In his intro he said he's an entertainer and to follow him on Instagram. In the post fight presser he said he tapes all his sparing sessions in case he does something sweet so he can send it out and make it go viral. He's sooooo thirsty for attention that it rubs me the wrong way.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Dana doesn't test fighters.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The fighter pay and contracts discussion is the same one that's had about the NFL every year. People want fighters/players to honour the deals they've signed when the promoter/teams can cut them anytime they want. I didn't see many "well, they signed the contract" posts when the UFC cut Overeem and JDS since they weren't worth the money anymore.

Jones deserves more money than he has been making to move up a division to help put on one of the biggest fights the UFC can make. Of course there's a limit so if he wants Canelo money or something then that's not going to happen. I don't know if anything has changed but the last time this came up Jones said the UFC wouldn't even talk. Their stance was that he already has a contract and should fight Francis for the same money and I think that's just as unreasonable as Jones demanding some ridiculous boxing pay day that just doesn't happen in MMA. Dana's "he/she doesn't want to fight" thing or implying they're scared is also very tiresome at this point. Hopefully they can make a deal so we get the fight.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
"Patient Francis" is born and I just don't know how anyone will deal with him. He kept his power while being less wild. And the way he not only stuffed the take down but also went on the offence was scary, it reminded me of Lesner. I think most other other fighters would have been finished right there. Stipe definitely has a good chin and a tonne of heart. Both good guys, hate seeing either one lose!

Hopefully Woodley retires, he's miles from being a contender now and we don't need to see him pad other peoples records. And hopefully Luque is a legit contender, wouldn't mind seeing him against Edwards or Colby while we wait for Usman-Masvidal to play out.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The fighter pay and contracts discussion is the same one that's had about the NFL every year. People want fighters/players to honour the deals they've signed when the promoter/teams can cut them anytime they want. I didn't see many "well, they signed the contract" posts when the UFC cut Overeem and JDS since they weren't worth the money anymore.

Jones deserves more money than he has been making to move up a division to help put on one of the biggest fights the UFC can make. Of course there's a limit so if he wants Canelo money or something then that's not going to happen. I don't know if anything has changed but the last time this came up Jones said the UFC wouldn't even talk. Their stance was that he already has a contract and should fight Francis for the same money and I think that's just as unreasonable as Jones demanding some ridiculous boxing pay day that just doesn't happen in MMA. Dana's "he/she doesn't want to fight" thing or implying they're scared is also very tiresome at this point. Hopefully they can make a deal so we get the fight.

yeah they will get a deal done with Jones eventually, and allot of it has to do with no compelling matchups for Francis.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's literally within 24 hours of Ngannou winning - we're still at the point where nobody should care what Dana or Jon Jones says about the $ involved. Lets check back in a month or so.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Stipe must have been so demoralized when he got stuffed and then had his back taken. Probably knew he was in for a long night at that point

Francis almost thought about getting another takedown himself Lol, I think his corner was like NOOOOOO

Reactions: 16Skippy

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
the thing about Patient Francis is that he has always been Patient Francis. The only time he didn't fight with patience was that first Stipe fight, which is why I always disputed the idea Stipe won that first fight because of his wrestling.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
the thing about Patient Francis is that he has always been Patient Francis. The only time he didn't fight with patience was that first Stipe fight, which is why I always disputed the idea Stipe won that first fight because of his wrestling.
Well, he wasn't very patient against Rozenstruik.

If Stipe didn't win the first fight because of his wrestling, then how did he win it? Because 6 takedowns, 15min of control, and over 100 strikes on the ground would suggest otherwise IMO.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I hope the crap with Jones is settled because that's a huge fight for him, a fight where if he wins, puts all the GOAT discussions to rest.

Jones' wrestling is not gonna be a factor if he fights Ngannou. It's gonna be reach and movement, granted Ngannou is gonna be the biggest fighter and to boot the longest reach Jon would have ever faced. Throughout his career, it's usually those kind of fighters that gave Jon a problem, so it's gonna be interesting to see how he can win such fight.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Well, he wasn't very patient against Rozenstruik.

If Stipe didn't win the first fight because of his wrestling, then how did he win it? Because 6 takedowns, 15min of control, and over 100 strikes on the ground would suggest otherwise IMO.

Ngannou gassed out swinging like a madman and got himself tired before Stipe had to do anything. Ngannou was and is always a counterstriker. That's been his main quality since his first UFC fight. That first Stipe fight was Ngannou not fighting to his strengths. The rematch was him doing exactly what he's mostly been doing.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Ngannou gassed out swinging like a madman and got himself tired before Stipe had to do anything. Ngannou was and is always a counterstriker. That's been his main quality since his first UFC fight. That first Stipe fight was Ngannou not fighting to his strengths. The rematch was him doing exactly what he's mostly been doing.

This fight was unlike anything we've seen from Ngannou before and the wrestling absolutely played a huge factor in the first fight, if not for gassing out Ngannou it kept him on the ground and prevented him doing anything. Stipe also imposed his wrestling right from the get-go, he did not wait for Francis to tire himself out. Sorry but this is a load of nonsense.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I've said Stipe is basically Cro Cop without the kicks, but he actually reminds me more of Stephan Bonnar...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I've said Stipe is basically Cro Cop without the kicks, but he actually reminds me more of Stephan Bonnar...
Sorry, but Cro Cop is a terrible comparison. Cro Cop had like 5 takedowns his entire career. Stipe is a good wrestler. Stipe also keeps a much higher pace than Cro Cop did.

Bonnar, stylistically, is a better comparison, but Stipe is just far, far better than Bonnar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad