GDT: UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Well Costa is also a documented cheater and Izzy isn’t. Plus outside of the Yoel fight Izzy has been money to watch (not that Costa hasn’t been)

I think he’s as good as he thinks he is. Dudes about to get his 100th combat sports win. When has he looked bad in the octagon? His growth since the Vettori fight has been something from another planet.

Fun strikers are always going to have fans

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Adesanya but the Romero/Silva fights were f***ing awful. I hope this style matchup works out but I am a bit nervous as to how it plays out.

Reactions: pistolpete11

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I didn’t think the Silva fight was bad, I thought it was kinda cool

Romero fight obvs trash

There’s no way this style matchup doesn’t work out. Costa doesn’t have boring fights, it’s quite literally impossible for him to have a boring fight. He suffocates you with pressure. He’s so aggressive. Izzy is a counter-striker. It’s a match made in heaven in terms of entertainment. They’re gonna be rocking each other

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Costa is generally respectful. Adesanya instigated the exchange at the press conference. He's extremely arrogant and thinks he's much better than he actually is. For the life of me I can't understand how anyone likes him, nor how anyone could want him to win this fight.
Costa and Izzy have been talking shit to each for like a year+, were polite when they ran into each other, and then talked shit to each other at the presser. It's the same thing and quite frankly not that uncommon in the fight game. It doesn't bother me. The best pressers are when the fighters are funny and smooth which Stylebender is. So I generally like him. He might be arrogant, but I mean, he's an undefeated champion. I think he's earned the right to be a little arrogant.

As far as who I'm rooting for, I'd probably lean a little to Izzy, but I don't really care. I want Whittaker to get another crack at the belt which would happen sooner if Costa won, so I'm good either way. I just want a good fight and no controversy.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I like Adesanya but the Romero/Silva fights were f***ing awful. I hope this style matchup works out but I am a bit nervous as to how it plays out.
Most of the greats have a few boring ones thrown in there, so if he keeps winning and has relatively exciting fights more often than not, all will be forgiven for the Romero and Anderson fights. I think this one will be exciting either way it goes.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I realize I'm handpicking to fit my narrative, but I'd contend it's still relevant data. Adesanya arguably lost to Vettori (I had Izzy winning), who while on quite an impressive streak, still isn't in the contender conversation. Adesanya didn't stop Tavares who's been finished by Whittaker, Boetsch, and Shahbazyan. Adesanya barely beat Gastelum, who's a pudgy WW who got beat by Weidman and thoroughly dominated by Hermansson, each of which is probably minimum a win away from title contention. Adesanya also won a 29-28 against a completely washed up Anderson who's essentially lost badly to everyone the past few years. And then you have Romero who he completely ran from after tasting his power in the first round (and IMO lost to).

Adesanya acts and talks like he's had a prime Jones type run and that simply isn't even close to the case.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
MMA math doesn’t work

He also f***ed up and finished the guy that f***ed up and finished Shahbazyan, who himself finished the guy Izzy didn’t finish (Brad)

Reactions: pistolpete11

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Does Costa have the best physique in the UFC? The guy looks like he's been sculpted...

Last edited:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Adesanya looked very drained in the face at weigh ins, better hope that chin holds up.

It's tough for me to pick against who I believe is the better fighter, but in this case I'll go against my initial thoughts and say Costa gets it done.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I have to go with the favourites. I think both Andesanya and Reyes have more variety in their striking and they're also well-rounded.

I see Adesanya being able to use his quickness, length, and counter striking to make things tough on Costa. I don't think Costa will be tentative or concerned with his gas tank. I see him coming out how he usually does and trying to take Adesanya out. That wouldn't be a surprising outcome either because Costa can knock anyone out but I predict Adesanya will be able to outstrike him from the outside and win a decision or maybe by late stoppage if Costa gets tired.

In the co-main, I think Reyes is more talented than Jan but I'm also probably showing some recency bias. I thought Reyes looked great against Jones and won that fight and I can't get that out of my head. The one area that might've cost him with the judges was that he slowed down after the non-stop movement to start the fight but I don't see that being an issue against Jan. I really like Reyes' striking and he has improved his takedown defense significantly, just like Adesanya.

Riddell is one guy to watch on the prelims.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I would cut him no matter what, he still had 90 minutes.

wildly unprofessional and wildly disrespectful to the opponent who traveled half the world to get there. I wouldn’t even be opposed to an immediate release and a late fill-in. Have fun fighting in the ACA bucko

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I’d implement a rule where if you lose after doing this you’re automatically cut.

That's a guy who knows he's untouchable. Zubaira jumped Conor but the UFC couldn't cut him because Khabib said he'd never fight again if they did.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's a guy who knows he's untouchable. Zubaira jumped Conor but the UFC couldn't cut him because Khabib said he'd never fight again if they did.

Khabib only gonna be around for 2 more fights tops, that gravy train is running out of track

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
MMA math doesn’t work

He also f***ed up and finished the guy that f***ed up and finished Shahbazyan, who himself finished the guy Izzy didn’t finish (Brad)
I know MMA math doesn't work, but I think that rundown at least illustrates my point that Adesanya hasn't exactly been on this dominant run of a murderer's row.

He made Whittaker look like an amateur, that was impressive no doubt. I think Whittaker had a lot going on with injuries and things outside of the cage, but either way, impressive. Other than that his claim to fame is gutting out the fifth round against Gastelum, who Weidman and Hermansson disposed of MUCH easier.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I know MMA math doesn't work, but I think that rundown at least illustrates my point that Adesanya hasn't exactly been on this dominant run of a murderer's row.

He made Whittaker look like an amateur, that was impressive no doubt. I think Whittaker had a lot going on with injuries and things outside of the cage, but either way, impressive. Other than that his claim to fame is gutting out the fifth round against Gastelum, who Weidman and Hermansson disposed of MUCH easier.

Styles make fights, Weidman and Hermansson’s style are much better fits against Gastelum. That 5th round from Adesanya was championship material though.

He also completely dismantled Brunson. I think people sleep on Brunson a lot because he’s never been the best but as we learned a couple months ago that dude can fight

it’s not a murderers row like you said but you also have to factor in his level of experience in the sport and the demonstrable improvement he’s shown every time he steps in the octagon.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I realize I'm handpicking to fit my narrative, but I'd contend it's still relevant data. Adesanya arguably lost to Vettori (I had Izzy winning), who while on quite an impressive streak, still isn't in the contender conversation. Adesanya didn't stop Tavares who's been finished by Whittaker, Boetsch, and Shahbazyan. Adesanya barely beat Gastelum, who's a pudgy WW who got beat by Weidman and thoroughly dominated by Hermansson, each of which is probably minimum a win away from title contention. Adesanya also won a 29-28 against a completely washed up Anderson who's essentially lost badly to everyone the past few years. And then you have Romero who he completely ran from after tasting his power in the first round (and IMO lost to).

Adesanya acts and talks like he's had a prime Jones type run and that simply isn't even close to the case.
You could do this for most fighters if you wanted to, though.

Costa : arguably lost to Romero, Hall is a .500 fighter in the UFC, Hendricks was post USADA and up a weight class, and then a bunch of people I never heard of.

Usman : beat a UFC journeyman on 6 days notice, Colby was a pretty good win, Woodley was washed, Maia was 40 years old coming off 2 losses, RDA is a .500 fighter at WW, Meek only has 1 win in the UFC.

Khabib : Poirier is a pretty good win, Conor only has 1 win at LW, Ragin' Al is a real estate agent who took the fight on 2 days notice, Barboza has a ton of losses, Johnson has a ton of losses, etc.

I don't really believe most of that, I'm just making a point. I'd agree it's not the most impressive run, but it's also not over yet. He could run through Costa, Cannonier, Hermansson, Whitaker again, etc. and then he'd pretty undeniable. Or he could lose to Costa and fall off the face of the earth and we'll say it was a flash in the pan. Time will tell. But he can only fight the guys put in front of him and so far he's an undefeated champion.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If adesanya can beat costa I can't see anyone beating him for awhile.

Reyes Jan idk, either could KO the other. Leaning towards reyes although I'd rather see Jan win.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't really believe most of that, I'm just making a point. I'd agree it's not the most impressive run, but it's also not over yet. He could run through Costa, Cannonier, Hermansson, Whitaker again, etc. and then he'd pretty undeniable. Or he could lose to Costa and fall off the face of the earth and we'll say it was a flash in the pan. Time will tell. But he can only fight the guys put in front of him and so far he's an undefeated champion.
You could do that with a lot of fighters for sure. I think what bothers me the most, take your run above, he acts like he's done that already. No question if he does that he can be as arrogant as he wants and I really can't say anything about it, but to be THIS arrogant when you've taken narrow decisions from Vettori, a shell of Anderson, Gastelum, and a non-fight with Romero, you just gotta check your ego A LITTLE.

If adesanya can beat costa I can't see anyone beating him for awhile.
I still think a high level grappler (who uses it) could give Adesanya a lot of trouble. I know it may sound crazy because he's been on such a rough run but Weidman could give him problems. Weidman pre-losing his chin beats Adesanya pretty handily IMO.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m going Riddell + Knight parlay, Blachowicz, Costa

I like the value for both championship dogs. Fights are closer than the lines say imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad