GDT: UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dog**** judging. Wow

Anyone catch Rogan and Cruz calling out the judges who weren't even watching the fight in one of the woman's bouts literally in the final round? ****ing disgrace

yeah it turns out they were wrong and that wasn’t a judge

doesn’t mean they weren’t terrible though!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Reyes wins 1 - 3 but 2 and 3 were close. Maybe it's possible one of the stupid judges gives Jones a 10 - 8 4th for the takedowns but he did nothing with them. Only thing is Reyes needed to leave it all out there in the 5th and he didn't. He was content to let it go to the cards and this is the type of **** that happens.

Jones was stalking and controlling the octagon from the middle of the second on for long stretches. That started to bother me when it was getting close to the decision. Too much moving away for Reyes. He had it, he just had to finish it.

If moving away played a role in Reyes losing this fight then that makes it even more unfortunate for him as highlighted here by Luke:

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wait a guy said Reyes won round 3 but not round 2????????

my goodness the incompetence

Yeah, I'll need to rewatch 2 and 3. Sometimes in these fights people watching give extra credit to the underdog because they were doing better than expected, it's just human nature. You also have people influenced by the commentary.

I had it 48-47 Reyes but am open to changing my mind on a rewatch and don't think it was a robbery as many think.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, I'll need to rewatch 2 and 3. Sometimes in these fights people watching give extra credit to the underdog because they were doing better than expected, it's just human nature. You also have people influenced by the commentary.

I had it 48-47 Reyes but am open to changing my mind on a rewatch and don't think it was a robbery as many think.

I don’t think 48-47 Jones is a robbery but I don’t understand 49-46 (and that speaks to the chances Reyes had it he didn’t get a finish.....a 0% chance) and I don’t understand how one could think Reyes won round 3 but didn’t win round 2. He was clearly better in round 2 than in round 3.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If moving away played a role in Reyes losing this fight then that makes it even more unfortunate for him as highlighted here by Luke:

I get the people that find him condescending- he even gets it and acknowledges it’s something he struggles with (awful first impressions)

Luke Thomas imo is the best MMA journalist out there. He’s not bought like Okamoto and Ariel. His breakdowns are usually pretty accurate. He delves into issues that may not be the most popular viewer wise but they are issues that need to be delved into (fighter pay as an example)

he nailed this fight

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I get the people that find him condescending- he even gets it and acknowledges it’s something he struggles with (awful first impressions)

Luke Thomas imo is the best MMA journalist out there. He’s not bought like Okamoto and Ariel. His breakdowns are usually pretty accurate. He delves into issues that may not be the most popular viewer wise but they are issues that need to be delved into (fighter pay as an example)

he nailed this fight

Luke Thomas is great. My only issue with him is that he puts out so much content that you need to sift through it all to figure out what's relevant. He has a 3 hour daily show with about 30 minutes of stuff I actually care about. I can't keep up with all his other stuff.

The thing I agree with him on more than anything is his take on drugs/USADA/etc.

Reactions: h2, Avs_19 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Only fighter I’ve seen say Jon won thus far is James Vick and he’s probably still concussed from his last few fights

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

he nailed this fight
Luke is the best. I don't always agree with him, but you know what he's saying is his honest opinion (unlike Ariel), he's put thought into it (unlike Schaub), and he's not saying it just for entertainment purposes (unlike Chael). I haven't listened to his post fight yet, but I'm sure it's as good as usual.

Also, I don't listen to Ariel, but his show is a good thing for MMA. He of course works for ESPN now, but he also has to play nice with the fighters so they keep coming on his show. Luke has talked about that before, too. I don't want to listen to it, but it gives the fighters a chance to talk and what's important will get filtered through the other shows that I do want to watch.

Luke Thomas is great. My only issue with him is that he puts out so much content that you need to sift through it all to figure out what's relevant. He has a 3 hour daily show with about 30 minutes of stuff I actually care about. I can't keep up with all his other stuff.

The thing I agree with him on more than anything is his take on drugs/USADA/etc.
I only listen to the stuff he puts on YouTube, but he mentioned recently that he is going to be uploading a weekly highlights video from his radio show to YouTube.

Reactions: Avs_19 and CDJ

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd need to rewatch the fight but I gave rounds 1 and 2 comfortably to Reyes. 3 to Jones by a small margin and 4/5 comfortably to Jones.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

he nailed this fight

He's one of my favourite media members to listen to and I think he's the best at actually analyzing and breaking down fights. He does his homework and really goes above and beyond what anyone else does. You know it's good when elite fighters like Holloway and Adesanya and their coaches watch the breakdowns and give him props for it. I think Holloway was half joking but there was one interview where he told Luke he was analyzing his game too well and giving things away that many people don't see.

You get used to the condescending tone if you listen to him long enough so that's no issue for me. Some of his rants where he beats the same topic into the ground week after week can be annoying. The most recent one is where him, other media, and fans are acting like Stephen A. Smith committed some awful crime by giving his opinion on Cowboy's terrible performance.

lol it was brutal

hilarious watching him get flustered at the tech

This was the norm with his old live chats at MMA Fighting before he educated himself on the tech and started investing in his own equipment. They'd almost always consist of him cursing up a storm and not knowing how to fix the issue.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Just rewatched the fight, man it’s close when ever a fight like this is close to me it should always go to the defending champ, however we need to see a rematch ASAP. Might hold up the division but the only other contender I see is Corey Anderson.

It’s time MMA gets its own judging that decision was much closer than what was read out last night. 49-46? What are they smoking? If anything it’s a close split decision.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Holy shit the judge that went 30-27 Ewell also gave round 1 to Giles in the Krause-Giles fight

what in the f*** Texas

They cannot go back there with anything other than “name” fights, they should only be hosting fights cards that are main evented by Derrick Lewis-Latifi level fights. No title fights, no #1 contender fights. They cannot be trusted. Only random fight nights.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
MMADecisions.com

14 of 21 outlets had Reyes 48-47

That still means 1/3 thought he won. It's just an antiquated scoring system. Reyes threw more volume, but Jones walked forward. Depends on how you look at fights, Joe Rogan is pretty bias on commentary a lot. Dominick thinks he knows everything under the sun in regards to fighting. I really don't even mind the decision even though I had it for Reyes. If you take Octagon control in to consideration equally with the rest of what they judge rounds on... It's not entirely crazy to think that could have won him the fight + takedowns as Jones said. Jones isn't going to last very long being a point fighter though. I wish he would fight Romero. That's my dream fight.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That still means 1/3 thought he won. It's just an antiquated scoring system. Reyes threw more volume, but Jones walked forward. Depends on how you look at fights, Joe Rogan is pretty bias on commentary a lot. Dominick thinks he knows everything under the sun in regards to fighting. I really don't even mind the decision even though I had it for Reyes. If you take Octagon control in to consideration equally with the rest of what they judge rounds on... It's not entirely crazy to think that could have won him the fight + takedowns as Jones said. Jones isn't going to last very long being a point fighter though. I wish he would fight Romero. That's my dream fight.
IMO Jones has looked worse and worse. He made easy work of a washed up Gus, but has gotten progressively worse. While he was never in any danger against Anthony 'career journeyman' Smith, he almost lost the fight on a DQ, and couldn't finish him despite Smith literally fighting scared the whole time and being afraid to get hit. That's also a dude who had been (T)KOd 8 times and subbed 4 times previously.

Then he barely survives another journeyman / mid-range opponent in Santos despite Santos blowing out his knee partway through the fight. Some even argue Santos won, though that's up for debate.

Now he arguably lost to Reyes, in an even more egregious fight than the Santos one, but judges saved him.

He's going to meet his match soon, maybe it's a Reyes rematch, or Corey Anderson or maybe even Walker if he can get his shit together, but it's a matter of time IMO. He doesn't look that invincible anymore, though he's got a good chin still. A big factor too is how long he's been in the game... He's been fighting pro since 20 years old, so over a decade now; he's probably prolonged his career a bit due to all the time off in recent years with his steroid and legal issues, and not having really been in any wars or seriously hurt outside of Gus 1, but most guys fighting for that long would have already seen a big decline. GSP is another example of a guy who fought for as long as Jones did and at the highest of levels for an extended period and yet he too looked human vs Hendricks and he was also 32 at that point too.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I once heard it said by someone like Rogan, or possibly Sonnen, that Cruz is an encyclopedia of fighting

There's a reason he's on the mic

Personally, I think he's the best analyst in the game today

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I once heard it said by someone like Rogan, or possibly Sonnen, that Cruz is an encyclopedia of fighting

I think he likes to hear himself talk.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

DC is my favorite because of the mix of knowledge and personality, but when it comes down to talking about the fight and technique, Dom is the best. If he says something, everyone should at least consider what he's saying.

Luke Thomas talks very highly of Dom, too. I think everybody does, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad