GDT: UFC 247: Jones vs. Reyes

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It completely changes the strategy for sure. In some situations it would be good, in others it wouldn't.

It also doesn't really solve the situation of this weekend - a bad judge is still a bad judge.

True but how quickly do the scores go up there. How does it impact the corner routine with the coaches? Is there a big WTF moment..

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm pretty split on open scoring. I think in some cases it would be exciting. In others it would be worse.

I think better, more accountable judges is really the only thing. I don't know how you do that exactly, but it's the most important thing. You can have open scoring with shitty judges. You can have more shitty judges. You can put shitty judges in some sound isolated room instead of having them cage side. You can have shitty MMA specific judges instead of using shitty boxing judges. I think all of these things could potentially help, but you've got to get better judges. Easier said than done, but that's the only answer.

One thing I still don't quite understand is each state having their own judges. If you find some good judges, why can't they just do all of the cards? Open it up to former fighters. Open it up to certain media members. Open it up to refs. This state-by-state thing is just so ridiculous.

Reactions: m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I also saw it as a close fight that Reyes clearly won, if that makes sense. I just don't see how Jones was given the decision but it is what it is.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'm pretty split on open scoring. I think in some cases it would be exciting. In others it would be worse.

I think better, more accountable judges is really the only thing. I don't know how you do that exactly, but it's the most important thing. You can have open scoring with shitty judges. You can have more shitty judges. You can put shitty judges in some sound isolated room instead of having them cage side. You can have shitty MMA specific judges instead of using shitty boxing judges. I think all of these things could potentially help, but you've got to get better judges. Easier said than done, but that's the only answer.

One thing I still don't quite understand is each state having their own judges. If you find some good judges, why can't they just do all of the cards? Open it up to former fighters. Open it up to certain media members. Open it up to refs. This state-by-state thing is just so ridiculous.

something to do with each state’s licensing. That’s why you have some different rules in like New York. So they get their own guys in there to judge, doctor, ect.

The UFC needs to demand more accountability from them - like we don’t have an event in Houston until you fix it.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I also saw it as a close fight that Reyes clearly won, if that makes sense. I just don't see how Jones was given the decision but it is what it is.
I wont use the word ‘scored’ as Im judging purely off my opinion and not off of statistics or predetermined methods

I had Reyes winning rounds 1-2 easily, as well as rounds 4-5 easily for Jones. Round 3 I had as a tie but if I had to pick a winner, Id go Jones as Reyes was throwing a lot but not connecting much

But lets say its 1-2 vs 4-5 with 3 being a split. I give the decision to Jones. I put more worth into championship rounds as that is the allure of the championship/main event fights after all, as well as the toughest part of all

Id give it 3-2 Jones and see how some could. I dont agree, however, with 4-1 Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->