GDT: UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Also the notion that it was a bad stoppages is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen, you can’t hug a guys foot and not move while face down with the ref asking you to show something after being knocked down for the 2nd time in 10 seconds

And him complaining about an eye poke when he got punched in the face was LOL funny.

I think both of them are smart and basically used timeouts at different points in the fight to gain an advantage. Got to catch their breaths. Usman when Colby was pouring volume on in round 2, Colby some time after that (I forgot the round/s)

Agreed about the stoppage. Like I said, maybe you could say it was a bit early but I don't think it's worth complaining over. Covington was in a really bad spot and wasn't properly defending himself.

The eye poke by Covington was legit and a pretty bad one. The groin strike looked like it might've just missed and wasn't intentional but apparently sometimes those glancing blows still have an effect. Rogan loves talking about cups and has mentioned it many times before.

Reactions: h2 and m9

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ahh, so because you didn't say "They" to make it a generalization, it's totally OK that you claimed he's right that Usman's guys looked like gorillas? Did Colby say, "They", in generalization of the entire race, either? No? Then I guess what Colby's saying and what you're saying really isn't that much different. You've kind of talked yourself into a corner here... Either you concede that what Colby said wasn't racist or you admit that what you're saying is just as racist.

You're right, you definitely could've phrased that better. You could've phrased this post better too.

Fair enough. My sincere apologies to those that were offended by my comments. I re-read my comments and it was a major faux pas on my part.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Fair enough. My sincere apologies to those that were offended by my comments. I re-read my comments and it was a major faux pas on my part.

Meh, I'm not offended at all. Just pointing out how the, "Everything is racist", folks (No, I'm not calling you one) are going to eat themselves.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Does anyone have a link to the actual comments Covington said?

For what it's worth I checked the Google machine and there's absolutely nothing on, "Colby Covington Gorilla". You'd think it'd be a big deal if he said it. "Colby Covington Filthy Animals", generated a number of results.

Not saying he didn't say it, just saying if he did, I can't find it.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Never take what Dana says on fight night (or anytime) too seriously but those were some odd comments about potentially doing Cejudo vs. Aldo next because that's what Cejudo apparently wants. I agree with him that Aldo should've gotten the decision but it wasn't a robbery and it's still officially a loss. You can't give him the next shot with guys like Sterling and Yan waiting.

Speaking of Yan, Cody should stay clear of him until he gets back on track and even then it's probably not a good idea.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Never take what Dana says on fight night (or anytime) too seriously but those were some odd comments about potentially doing Cejudo vs. Aldo next because that's what Cejudo apparently wants. I agree with him that Aldo should've gotten the decision but it wasn't a robbery and it's still officially a loss. You can't give him the next shot with guys like Sterling and Yan waiting.

Ehh, I disagree on it not being a robbery.

You could read it on his face. Even Moraes knew he lost before the decision was announced.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ehh, I disagree on it not being a robbery.

You could read it on his face. Even Moraes knew he lost before the decision was announced.

Like he says there, stats don't tell the entire story and that's important to point out but I just can't call a fight where Moraes actually out-landed Aldo in two of the rounds a robbery.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This might be the dumbest post here.

You should go up to a Brazilian and call them an animal, report back to me on the findings Kevin thx! It’s just a character!

just Because you don’t like to hear it doesn’t mean it’s dumb! The point is you cannot claim that you’re just playing a character when you’re being a racist. He almost learned that there were real world consequences to that but he was a bitch and he called the police. This is my Ted talk, thanks

Last edited:

h2

Mar 26, 2002
You didn't need the stats to know Moraes/Aldo was close and could go either way. The extremely biased commentary was what made people think Aldo blew him out.

Likewise for the main event.

You would think Covington was fighting Adesanya or Jones based on how much DC was praising Usman's striking, which is not Usman's strength.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Usman vs. Masvidal/Edwards
Woodley vs. Covington

?

They've been trying to make Woodley/Edwards but it doesn't seem like Woodley is too excited about the fight. I imagine he'd get up for a Covington fight and it makes sense with both of them coming off losses to Usman. Covington's jaw might complicate things as Woodley probably wants to get back soon.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Usman vs. Masvidal/Edwards
Woodley vs. Covington

?

They've been trying to make Woodley/Edwards but it doesn't seem like Woodley is too excited about the fight. I imagine he'd get up for a Covington fight and it makes sense with both of them coming off losses to Usman. Covington's jaw might complicate things as Woodley probably wants to get back soon.

Woodley v Covington is what I'd like to see next as well.

Reactions: Avs_19 and h2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think the main event stoppage was early. It's not super egregious, but come on, man. It's the 5th round of a big title fight that nobody really knew who was winning (as evident by scorecards). Usman hit him with some shots on the ground, but it wasn't anything that big. The ref should have at least given Colby the "You've got to move" warning. Again, it's the 5th round of a close title fight. If Colby was getting his ass handed to him for 4.5 rounds, OK, stop it, but he very well could have been up on scorecards. In the end, it doesn't matter, because Usman would have won on the scorecards anyway, but it wasn't a great stoppage. All it did was give Colby an excuse. Anyway, great fight. Nothing like I was expecting, but it was a fun, close, back and forth fight and we got to see Colby's jaw get broken. As one of the reporters said in the presser, it's poetic justice that his mouth will be wired shut.

As I said last night, Volkanovski clearly won, but it was close. Glad to hear that Dana and Volkanovski are both open to an immediate rematch. I think it makes sense given how long and dominant Max was champ and there's not anyone else at the moment. I don't know what would be different in the rematch, but Max deserves the chance if that's what he wants. Props to Volkanovski. I thought if he won, he'd have to use at least some wrestling. Instead he just went toe-to-toe with the best FW ever.

I don't get people knocking Nunes at all. Did she slow down a little bit? Sure, that's what happens when you're in a fight, but she still won rounds 3, 4, and 5. One judge even had round 3 as a 10-8. Did GDR have some success on the feet? Sure, but she's a world champion kickboxer with a 46-0 record that once KO'ed a dude. People are looking too hard to find flaws with Nunes. If she doesn't get a first round KO, it's "OoOoOhHhHh, she's human!" Not really. She still just dominated yet another challenger.

I had Moraes winning. If the fight was judged as a whole, I think Aldo won because that second round was clearly his, but with a 3-round 10-9 must scoring system, I thought Moraes edged out the first and third round. Props to both guys. I was completely wrong about Aldo going down. He looked great and took some shots. I was wrong about Moraes gassing, too. He looked dead at the end of the 2nd, but he dug down and took the 3rd against a legend (who is still somehow only 33).

Shout outs to Yan, Neal, Aldana, Hooper, and Matt Brown as well. I thought this card might end up sucking, but it was a good night of fights.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the main event stoppage was early. It's not super egregious, but come on, man. It's the 5th round of a big title fight that nobody really knew who was winning (as evident by scorecards). Usman hit him with some shots on the ground, but it wasn't anything that big. The ref should have at least given Colby the "You've got to move" warning. Again, it's the 5th round of a close title fight. If Colby was getting his ass handed to him for 4.5 rounds, OK, stop it, but he very well could have been up on scorecards. In the end, it doesn't matter, because Usman would have won on the scorecards anyway, but it wasn't a great stoppage. All it did was give Colby an excuse. Anyway, great fight. Nothing like I was expecting, but it was a fun, close, back and forth fight and we got to see Colby's jaw get broken. As one of the reporters said in the presser, it's poetic justice that his mouth will be wired shut.

As I said last night, Volkanovski clearly won, but it was close. Glad to hear that Dana and Volkanovski are both open to an immediate rematch. I think it makes sense given how long and dominant Max was champ and there's not anyone else at the moment. I don't know what would be different in the rematch, but Max deserves the chance if that's what he wants. Props to Volkanovski. I thought if he won, he'd have to use at least some wrestling. Instead he just went toe-to-toe with the best FW ever.

I don't get people knocking Nunes at all. Did she slow down a little bit? Sure, that's what happens when you're in a fight, but she still won rounds 3, 4, and 5. One judge even had round 3 as a 10-8. Did GDR have some success on the feet? Sure, but she's a world champion kickboxer with a 46-0 record that once KO'ed a dude. People are looking too hard to find flaws with Nunes. If she doesn't get a first round KO, it's "OoOoOhHhHh, she's human!" Not really. She still just dominated yet another challenger.

I had Moraes winning. If the fight was judged as a whole, I think Aldo won because that second round was clearly his, but with a 3-round 10-9 must scoring system, I thought Moraes won edged out the first and third round. Props to both guys. I was completely wrong about Aldo going down. He looked great and took some shots. I was wrong about Moraes gassing, too. He looked dead at the end of the 2nd, but he dug down and took the 3rd against a legend (who is still somehow only 33).

Shout outs to Yan, Neal, Aldana, Hooper, and Matt Brown as well. I thought this card might end up sucking, but it was a good night of fights.

Pretty sure the ref did get that warning to Covington and he continued to turtle on Usmans leg

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
If Colby was currently in the WWE instead of the UFC do people still take what he says seriously?
Honestly I don't even like Colby that much but it's very obvious that literally everything he does/says is to be controversial.
The cheep suits, the Trump book, paying those women to follow him around, calling everyone virgin nerds.
Most of what he says is to fit into that character and yes I think it is a character.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty sure the ref did get that warning to Covington and he continued to turtle on Usmans leg

I've gone back and forth on this one, but after looking at it a number of times I really would have liked the ref to let the fight continue a bit longer. There were only a couple of shots on the ground that landed clean and in a title fight you have to let it play out a bit longer than that.

I don't think it changed anything - Usman was going to win the fight and likely would have finished the fight a few seconds later.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If Colby was currently in the WWE instead of the UFC do people still take what he says seriously?
Honestly I don't even like Colby that much but it's very obvious that literally everything he does/says is to be controversial.
The cheep suits, the Trump book, paying those women to follow him around, calling everyone virgin nerds.
Most of what he says is to fit into that character and yes I think it is a character.

Carrying around that book and calling people virgin nerds isn’t what I have a problem with. I have a problem with him calling Brazilians animals, I have a problem with him invoking Glenn Robinson the way he did, I have a problem with what he said about Matt Hughes and I even have a problem with him going after Mike Perry’s girl.

Here’s the other thing- wwe is fake and ufc is real. One of the biggest stars in WWE history played an undead guy, came back as a biker gang dude, and then played a zombie guy again. Comparing the two is apples and oranges

Reactions: m9

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Carrying around that book and calling people virgin nerds isn’t what I have a problem with. I have a problem with him calling Brazilians animals, I have a problem with him invoking Glenn Robinson the way he did, I have a problem with what he said about Matt Hughes and I even have a problem with him going after Mike Perry’s girl.

Here’s the other thing- wwe is fake and ufc is real. One of the biggest stars in WWE history played an undead guy, came back as a biker gang dude, and then played a zombie guy again. Comparing the two is apples and oranges

I'm not saying he hasn't done stupid things he's crossed the line before. All I'm saying is it's his schtick he's doing and saying a lot of these things because he knows there will be backlash and people will want to see fight because of it.

The reason I made the comparison to WWE is because he's already said that's what he's like to do next and I think he's already built his image to fit with that of the WWE.
The UFC is real that doesn't mean you can't portray an exaggerated or fabricated character while competing in it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Covington has said many questionable things, but people forget he's done some good things.. like going on Sirius radio and mentioning Miesha Tate's photo leak which I was previously unaware of. So yeah, he's not all bad.

Reactions: h2

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Brazil audience is awful. Not sure how anyone can't see that. Colby was proven correct shortly after that.

His act is an issue because what does he do now when he lost? People need to re-evaluate their own political and racial biases in reacting to his banter.

Usman looks like a roid user. Good fight from him but his personality/style is boring as it gets. Wish GSP would un-retire and put him in his place to show him what REAL humility is about.

I bought this PPV solely on the fact that the main card draw didn't like each other (hadn't bought in a LONG time).

Looking forward to Khabib vs Ferguson. I like Tony's fighting style as it's more varied and entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad