GDT: UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

he referred to Usman and his team as “looking like a bunch of gorillas,” when they approached him at an airport. Although Covington was correct in his observation, it was still unacceptable and racist to say that.

Given that Covington seems to support Trump the Most (with regards to Trump’s immigration policies), I also suspect that Covington is racist.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Dana probably praying Masvidal wants to take a shot at the title now instead of chasing a different big fight because I have a hard time seeing Edwards-Usman doing well PPV wise. (even though it's an interesting fight)

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
he referred to Usman and his team as “looking like a bunch of gorillas,” when they approached him at an airport. Although Covington was correct in his observation, it was still unacceptable and racist to say that.

Given that Covington seems to support Trump the Most (with regards to Trump’s immigration policies), I also suspect that Covington is racist.

You can support Trump without being a racist. Colby plays up every angle he can for attention it's a character.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yan is a savage. Was nice seeing Faber get destroyed. While I'd love to see Yan v Cejudo I think we'll see him fight someone like Sterling first.

Had it 29-28 Aldo but don't think it was a highway robbery. Moraes came on strong in the latter parts of the 3rd round. Aldo looked great.

Nunes gassed. She's always had questionable cardio but it's not an issue when you put them away in 1st round.

48-47 by 2 of the judges, lol seriously. Volkanovski won every round.

Don't care who but glad someone shut Colby up.

Reactions: CDJ

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yan is a savage. Was nice seeing Faber get destroyed. While I'd love to see Yan v Cejudo I think we'll see him fight someone like Sterling first.

Had it 29-28 Aldo but don't think it was a highway robbery. Moraes came on strong in the latter parts of the 3rd round. Aldo looked great.

Nunes gassed. She's always had questionable cardio but it's not an issue when you put them away in 1st round.

48-47 by 2 of the judges, lol seriously. Volkanovski won every round.

Don't care who but glad someone shut Colby up.

I thought Also could have gone either way, it was close. A few of the judges' scorecards befuddled me on every fight where there was a decision.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You can support Trump without being a racist. Colby plays up every angle he can for attention it's a character.

Too bad because that’s not Colby

You should go to the hood and call the first person you see a gorilla and then claim it’s just a character. Get back to me on how that goes!

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Awful post.

Eh he called usmans team a bunch of gorillas and we know what he thinks about Brazilians, if the glove fits

He’s not a racist for supporting Trump, he’s a racist because he’s a racist.

He’s also chicken shit who calls the cops on people when his mouth writes checks his ass can’t cash. Werdum is crazy and super tight with a homicidal tyrant, he’s Lucky all he got was the boomerang

Last edited:
Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also the notion that it was a bad stoppages is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen, you can’t hug a guys foot and not move while face down with the ref asking you to show something after being knocked down for the 2nd time in 10 seconds

And him complaining about an eye poke when he got punched in the face was LOL funny.

I think both of them are smart and basically used timeouts at different points in the fight to gain an advantage. Got to catch their breaths. Usman when Colby was pouring volume on in round 2, Colby some time after that (I forgot the round/s)

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I also thought the crowd chanting USA was kind of embarrassing as an MMA fan but that’s just me. Makes us look like a bunch of mouth breathers

Reactions: Zeppo

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
I touched on this earlier, but the rounds were so close that it's not really controversial to say Covington was up 3-1 going in the 5th (which is what I had). This was evident by the judge scorecards being all over the map as well.

I won't dispute your scorecard, but I disagree with the absolute position attached with it. There's room for debate in this fight.

Fair enough. It was close, but I had it opposite going into the 5th round with Usman up 3-1.

This fight reminded me of GSP-Hendricks.

Reactions: h2

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eh he called usmans team a bunch of gorillas and we know what he thinks about Brazilians, if the glove fits

He’s not a racist for supporting Trump, he’s a racist because he’s a racist.

He’s also chicken **** who calls the cops on people when his mouth writes checks his ass can’t cash. Werdum is crazy and super tight with a homicidal tyrant, he’s Lucky all he got was the boomerang

Claiming Colby Covington is a "white supremacist" based on stuff like this is complete nonsense and minimizes the actions of people who actually fall under that umbrella.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Funny how supporting legal immigration and border control policies wasn't racist until Donald Trump said it.

If you do or say racist things to "play a character" you are still a racist pos. It's not a movie or a tv show he owns whatever the hell it is that he does. Whether he means it to his core...who gives a ****.

Uhh, it kinda is though.

The fight is real, yes. But the guys making the most money are still the strong characters. He said as much in his Candace Owens interview, they were gonna cut him before Brazil.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Good card but it really dragged out with all three title fights going the distance (main event was close enough).

Main event ended up being a really good fight. I'd have to watch it again closely to score it properly because I got too into the fight that I stopped scoring it after round two when I thought it was even. I didn't think Covington was winning though so I most likely would've had it 2-2 or possibly even 3-1 Usman. Stoppage might've been a bit early but Covington was in a bad spot and the 5th round should've been 10-8 Usman or at worst 10-9 so he was going to win regardless. Some nasty shots to the body by Usman to slow down Covington's output and he was clearly the more powerful puncher.

Great performance by Volkanovski. Perfect game plan and execution. Going in I thought it'd be close and Holloway would win the decision but Volkanovski controlled most of the fight and I had him winning 4-1. I hope we get to see a rematch at some point. Could be immediate or at a later time.

Nunes looked great early and then clearly slowed down. She has had some gas tank issues in the past but I think going for broke the way she did in the first round obviously played a major role tonight. Smart decision by her to take the fight to the ground the rest of the way, even though it didn't make for a very exciting fight. GDR had some good moments on her feet.

I thought Aldo won 29-28 but I wouldn't call it a robbery. I have to admit I was very wrong about how he'd look at 135. When the fight was announced and even leading up I thought this might go similar to Pettis when he dropped to 145. However, he looked good and probably should've won the fight.

Yan is a savage and that fight went pretty much as expected. Faber is tough and credit to him for hanging in there for a while but you knew it was only a matter of time with some of the shots he was taking. Yan needs to be in the title conversation.

Excellent summary. Completely agree with everything you said.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Too bad because that’s not Colby

You should go to the hood and call the first person you see a gorilla and then claim it’s just a character. Get back to me on how that goes!
This might be the dumbest post here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Funny how supporting legal immigration and border control policies wasn't racist until Donald Trump said it.

you know what’s not funny? Referring to African American males as gorillas no matter how close the resemblance is in some cases (and yes - Usman’s boys at the airport did look like gorillas when they approached Covington, but Convington also knew what the racial implications of making such statements publicly would have).

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
you know what’s not funny? Referring to African American males as gorillas no matter how close the resemblance is in some cases (and yes - Usman’s boys at the airport did look like gorillas when they approached Covington, but Convington also knew what the racial implications of making such statements publicly would have).

What's worse, a guy playing a character trying to draw attention to himself using controversial language, or a guy on a message board who gains nothing by saying, "You know, he's right, they do look like that, but you can't say that!"

Honestly, I'm leaning toward you...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Given the fact that Covington is a white supremacist, can you really blame DC?

wtf am I reading here?

Reactions: CDJ

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
What's worse, a guy playing a character trying to draw attention to himself using controversial language, or a guy on a message board who gains nothing by saying, "You know, he's right, they do look like that, but you can't say that!"

Honestly, I'm leaning toward you...

I never once said that “they” (African american males in general) look like that. I absolutely resent that comment by you. I am not racist whatever so ever, and am a man of color myself (East Indian). Yes - perhaps I could have phrased my post better, and not even mention my thoughts about the appearance of Usman’s henchmen at the airport, but I was trying very hard to see Covington’s point of view and why he may have chosen to use that kind of language.

Using that term “gorilla” was a disgusting comment, and Usman should have apologized. even guys like Jon Jones says that Covington is a really bad dude.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
wtf am I reading here?

Stop manipulating my comments to further your own agenda.

You know damn well what I was trying to say even if it didn’t come out right.

Usman shouldn’t have made those comments even if he was correct due to the racial implications. Period.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone have a link to the actual comments Covington said?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I never once said that “they” (African american males in general) look like that. I absolutely resent that comment by you. I am not racist whatever so ever, and am a man of color myself (East Indian). Yes - perhaps I could have phrased my post better, and not even mention my thoughts about the appearance of Usman’s henchmen at the airport, but I was trying very hard to see Covington’s point of view and why he may have chosen to use that kind of language.

Using that term “gorilla” was a disgusting comment, and Usman should have apologized. even guys like Jon Jones says that Covington is a really bad dude.

Ahh, so because you didn't say "They" to make it a generalization, it's totally OK that you claimed he's right that Usman's guys looked like gorillas? Did Colby say, "They", in generalization of the entire race, either? No? Then I guess what Colby's saying and what you're saying really isn't that much different. You've kind of talked yourself into a corner here... Either you concede that what Colby said wasn't racist or you admit that what you're saying is just as racist.

You're right, you definitely could've phrased that better. You could've phrased this post better too.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad