GDT: UFC 245: Usman vs. Covington

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Crawford fight heating up right now on ESPN2 For those of you still up. I would imagine it’s a replay this late but I don’t know what happened lol

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I think it was pretty clear to everyone else watching that Usman was the better fighter as the rounds went on, especially with striking.

to everyone else ? i don't know. Probably to you ! since you write that.

Well i saw a different fight than you then :)

To me Colbi has the better fighter skills and is smarter ... Usman's game plan was better. And maybe Usman is tougher than Colbi ... and i heard something about a broken jaw ... i don't know that !! whatever : Colvi didn't bring enough to be the better fighter today. The result is here.

But a rematch after some fixes would be very interesting IMO.

Reactions: h2

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Can't stand Covington but I had him up 3-1 going into the 5th, and with the way the 5th was going, could've ended up 47-47 imo. Terrible stoppage by Goddard but at the same time, I'm not sure Colby could have survived the entire last minute. I found the commentary horribly biased in Usman's favor too.

Solid night of fights overall, Volkanovski looked great too.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I agree Usman was the better striker, I just don't think he's as good of a striker as DC thinks.

DC was really annoying me with his commentary. I normally have no complaints.
I'm a huge DC fan but he was annoying the hell out of me in that fight. He made it WAY too obvious he was rooting for Usman. He acted like Colby was getting lit up by prime Anderson. And he mentioned Usman's body shots like 50 times. Umm, DC, not everyone gets hurt by body shots as quickly/badly as you do.

I had the fight 2-2 going into the 5th. Sure 3-1 Colby was probably wrong, but if that went to the judges and it was a split decision it wouldn't be outrageous. It was a damn close fight.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Can't stand Covington but I had him up 3-1 going into the 5th, and with the way the 5th was going, could've ended up 47-47 imo. Terrible stoppage by Goddard but at the same time, I'm not sure Colby could have survived the entire last minute. I found the commentary horribly biased in Usman's favor too.

Solid night of fights overall, Volkanovski looked great too.

Agree completely with your take on the main event.

Also, do illegal punches during a stoppage sequence ever get called? Why have a no striking to the back of the head rule if it's not enforced? That's not exclusive to the Usman-Covington fight either, it happens enough.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm a huge DC fan but he was annoying the hell out of me in that fight. He made it WAY too obvious he was rooting for Usman. He acted like Colby was getting lit up by prime Anderson. And he mentioned Usman's body shots like 50 times. Umm, DC, not everyone gets hurt by body shots as quickly/badly as you do.

I had the fight 2-2 going into the 5th. Sure 3-1 Colby was probably wrong, but if that went to the judges and it was a split decision it wouldn't be outrageous. It was a damn close fight.

I think those body shots were very effective on Colby Though, that output slowed down big time after the first 2 rounds. He did it to Woodley too. It seems like that’s going to be his signature thing-just ruthlessly murdering the body.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
i Remember when Ronda was fighting Holy Holm for the belt and Joe is like "Ronda looks desperate and tired"

Goldberg "takes a lot of energy to be a rockstar"
Joes In a pissed off voice "It has nothing to do about being a rockstar"

LOL I knew Goldbergs time was coming to an end.

That's something I never forget. Rogan sounded like he wanted to roundhouse kick Goldie in the face.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I thought the Volkanovski-Holloway fight was intense, was very impressed by Volk's performance. Glad Colby and his annoying gimmick got silenced.

Reactions: Avs_19

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Damn what a fight. Thought I was gonna go 5 for 5 on the main card but glad that match got a definitive winner in Usman.
Super high level from both guys but you kinda wonder what happens now in the division. If Colby has won the obvious fight would've been Masvidal but does Masvidal - Usman really work?

Obviously Jorge should have the first crack if he wants it. Could you turn right around and book Edwards - Usman seeing as Edwards Woodley doesn't look like it's happening?

I would absolutely love to see Jorge fight for the title.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
I would absolutely love to see Jorge fight for the title.

Same, and he absolutely should get the next shot if he wants it but I just have a feeling he might not go that route.
I hope for interests sake he does because even though I respect Usman as a fighter I can't stand him.

Reactions: h2

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I fully expect Masvidal to get the next shot but there are better guys in the division imo. Wins over Askren and Diaz? Come on. This guy got worked over by Wonderboy and lost to Maia before that.

I'd like to see Masvidal fight Edwards with the winner getting a title shot, but it's highly doubtful.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They went Yan/Aldana for performance bonuses

Sucks for Geoff Neal, pretty sure the dudes still a waiter. At least he was until recently

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good card but it really dragged out with all three title fights going the distance (main event was close enough).

Main event ended up being a really good fight. I'd have to watch it again closely to score it properly because I got too into the fight that I stopped scoring it after round two when I thought it was even. I didn't think Covington was winning though so I most likely would've had it 2-2 or possibly even 3-1 Usman. Stoppage might've been a bit early but Covington was in a bad spot and the 5th round should've been 10-8 Usman or at worst 10-9 so he was going to win regardless. Some nasty shots to the body by Usman to slow down Covington's output and he was clearly the more powerful puncher.

Great performance by Volkanovski. Perfect game plan and execution. Going in I thought it'd be close and Holloway would win the decision but Volkanovski controlled most of the fight and I had him winning 4-1. I hope we get to see a rematch at some point. Could be immediate or at a later time.

Nunes looked great early and then clearly slowed down. She has had some gas tank issues in the past but I think going for broke the way she did in the first round obviously played a major role tonight. Smart decision by her to take the fight to the ground the rest of the way, even though it didn't make for a very exciting fight. GDR had some good moments on her feet.

I thought Aldo won 29-28 but I wouldn't call it a robbery. I have to admit I was very wrong about how he'd look at 135. When the fight was announced and even leading up I thought this might go similar to Pettis when he dropped to 145. However, he looked good and probably should've won the fight.

Yan is a savage and that fight went pretty much as expected. Faber is tough and credit to him for hanging in there for a while but you knew it was only a matter of time with some of the shots he was taking. Yan needs to be in the title conversation.

Reactions: I am not exposed

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I fully expect Masvidal to get the next shot but there are better guys in the division imo. Wins over Askren and Diaz? Come on. This guy got worked over by Wonderboy and lost to Maia before that.

I'd like to see Masvidal fight Edwards with the winner getting a title shot, but it's highly doubtful.

The Till win is what started all this for Jorge, which was significant. I think he's earned it.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Respect for Covington for fighting through a broken jaw and I’d give him a round forsure, but no way was he winning that fight going into the 5th round. Usman showed great discipline and focus sticking to his plan and landed some devastating shots, especially to the body.

That was the most excited I had been for a UFC fight since McGregor-Khabib

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Respect for Covington for fighting through a broken jaw and I’d give him a round forsure, but no way was he winning that fight going into the 5th round. Usman showed great discipline and focus sticking to his plan and landed some devastating shots, especially to the body.

That was the most excited I had been for a UFC fight since McGregor-Khabib

I touched on this earlier, but the rounds were so close that it's not really controversial to say Covington was up 3-1 going in the 5th (which is what I had). This was evident by the judge scorecards being all over the map as well.

I won't dispute your scorecard, but I disagree with the absolute position attached with it. There's room for debate in this fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad