UFC 244: Diaz vs Masvidal

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I saw Masvidal is quite a big favorite now. Has anyone seen a good style breakdown to explain why? I don't really get it.
Schaub said on his show earlier this week that he and Luke Thomas were going to do a full break down together on Wednesday, but I don't see it anywhere yet.

I don't get it either. If you told me Masvidal was going to win, I wouldn't say you're wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm not much of a gambler, but it's such a toss up for me that at some point, it makes sense to put some money on Nate.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kevin Lee looked much bigger than Gregor Gillespie. I like Gregor but I'm not sure how he handles that size.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I saw Masvidal is quite a big favorite now. Has anyone seen a good style breakdown to explain why? I don't really get it.
Thomas and Schaub posted their breakdown. Short answer, they don't know either :laugh:

Schaub kinda picked Masvidal with the point that you know what you're going to get with Nate. ATT has some of the best coaches that will be able to gameplan it. Then Luke said Masvidal isn't going to try to win the BMF belt by out pointing or out wrestling Nate (which I think is a very valid point), so they are going to stand and bang. That's Nate's world and both guys seemed to think Nate's pure boxing is better. So it seemed like Lue was kind of leaning Nate and then Schaub kind of started to waffle, too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

BestFightOdds shows Masvidal as a slight favourite on most sites and the odds have actually moved in Nate's favour since it opened. Unless you're saying around -160 is too much for Masvidal.

Also, Gastelum is now the biggest favourite on the card according to a few sites. That fight has had the biggest change both since it opened and in the last 24 hours.

UFC 244: Masvidal vs. Diaz Odds & Betting Lines | Best Fight Odds

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
-160 is a pretty big favorite for this close of a fight. Out of the main 6 fights I think only Gastelum is a bigger favorite.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A few predictions and breakdowns here:

7 in favour of Masvidal and 5 for Diaz.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Not sure when the UFC decided to make Cannonier the back up for Gastelum-Till, but for his sake, I hope it was last minute when they found out about Till's visa issues.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gastelum/Till is still happening so I'm happy. No one from the commission or UFC even saw what Gastelum did until people started making a big deal of it. Gastelum probably gets fined now, like he would've if he missed weight, so it sucks for him but not a huge deal IMO.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Gastelum/Till is still happening so I'm happy. No one from the commission or UFC even saw what Gastelum did until people started making a big deal of it. Gastelum probably gets fined now, like he would've if he missed weight, so it sucks for him but not a huge deal IMO.
Not a huge deal, no, but you were a WW at one point, man :laugh:.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Is Johnny Walker vs Corey Anderson the biggest fight ever put on the prelims?
Biggest is subjective, I guess, but some other recent notable ones that came to mind were Cowboy-Hernandez and Overeem-Blaydes. There's probably a bunch of high ranked bantamweight and flyweight fights and maybe even featherweight fights that get put on the prelims, too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Biggest is subjective, I guess, but some other recent notable ones that came to mind were Cowboy-Hernandez and Overeem-Blaydes. There's probably a bunch of high ranked bantamweight and flyweight fights and maybe even featherweight fights that get put on the prelims, too.

Edgar/Stephens at UFC 205 is right up there.

Reactions: pistolpete11

member 51464

I'm mostly curious how over weight Gastelum was with that little maneuver. I haven't watched and interviews or media this week about the card, so no idea how he looked. I'm curious if he seemed either drained like it was a hard cut or if he looked fine.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm mostly curious how over weight Gastelum was with that little maneuver. I haven't watched and interviews or media this week about the card, so no idea how he looked. I'm curious if he seemed either drained like it was a hard cut or if he looked fine.
Yeah, we probably won't ever know the truth on how much he was overweight, but he looked fine to me. He's a former WW with a lot of body fat. Making weight shouldn't be an issue for him. The fact he had to pull this stunt just shows very poor preparation or lack of discipline.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Is tonight's main card on free on ESPN+ or is it still something I have to pay for on top of my ESPN+ membership?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So is the BMF title gonna be in circulation after this or is it just a one off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad