GDT: UFC 242: Khabib vs. Poirier

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman/Covington probably has to wait until next year unless it doesn't end up on PPV. Them putting it on ESPN seems unlikely, even though I think some people are really overrating how well it'd sell as the main attraction on PPV. Covington brings attention with his nonsense but I don't think he has proven to be a draw so far and Usman certainly isn't one.
I agree with this. I'm a little interested to see it just because their styles are so similar, but I don't think it's a big draw...and I'm dreading everything else about it. The lead up is going to be miserable, the post fight is going to be miserable, and the fight itself could end up to be miserable, too, if they just wrestlef*** each other.

It's going to be on a PPV, though. There would have to be a pretty big main event for it to not be the main event, too. There's even less of a chance this happens than it being on a Fight Night, but it would be hilarious to put it as the co-main to Nate-Masvidal :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I agree with this. I'm a little interested to see it just because their styles are so similar, but I don't think it's a big draw...and I'm dreading everything else about it. The lead up is going to be miserable, the post fight is going to be miserable, and the fight itself could end up to be miserable, too, if they just wrestle**** each other.

It's going to be on a PPV, though. There would have to be a pretty big main event for it to not be the main event, too. There's even less of a chance this happens than it being on a Fight Night, but it would be hilarious to put it as the co-main to Nate-Masvidal :laugh:

It's a fight that needs to happen and I am interested in seeing how it plays out. As annoying as Covington is, his last performance was very impressive and he more than earned his shot. I agree with it potentially not being a very entertaining fight though.

Making it the co-main to Jones' next fight makes some sense.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's a fight that needs to happen and I am interested in seeing how it plays out. As annoying as Covington is, his last performance was very impressive and he more than earned his shot. I agree with it potentially not being a very entertaining fight though.

Making it the co-main to Jones' next fight makes some sense.
Yeah, it was impressive, as was Usman-Woodley, and it needs to happen. But it's not a must-watch for me. Like if I missed it for some reason, unless something crazy happened, I'd probably just find out who won and move on. That's not happening (or wouldn't have happened) for the big fights off of UFC 241, UFC 242, UFC 243, or UFC 244. If I miss it live, I'm staying in the dark until I can watch it and I'm probably rewatching a bunch of those fights (and have for UFC 241).

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm more interested in the result than the fight itself. I'll watch it, if possible, but I won't be planning around it.

Co-main for Jones makes sense so long as Jones doesn't slap Covington for the shit he's talked about him.

Reactions: Avs_19

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Proof that Khabib wasn't really 'rocked' in round 2.

Pretty much confirms what I said earlier that he was doing unorthodox/awkward head movement and wasn't actually hit much. In fact Poirier only got one shot and it wasn't a completely clean one either.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Proof that Khabib wasn't really 'rocked' in round 2.

Pretty much confirms what I said earlier that he was doing unorthodox/awkward head movement and wasn't actually hit much. In fact Poirier only got one shot and it wasn't a completely clean one either.

It wasn't the cleanest shot to start that off, but it was still probably the hardest I've seen Khabib hit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Michael Johnson hit him cleaner and rocked him before taking an unmerciful beating the rest of the fight...:laugh:
I'd suggest rewatching that shot without Rogan's commentary. Johnson barely touched him, Khabib did the same type of head movement, and Rogan starts to freak out about it.

Reactions: El Dandy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad