GDT: UFC 242: Khabib vs. Poirier

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Man, **** Conor at lightweight. He knocked out Eddie Alvarez and got dominated by Khabib. It is nobody's fault but Conor that he squandered so many years of his career with idiocy like the dolley and Floyd and chasing Diaz around at welterweight.

This December will mark 4 years since he beat Aldo. I for one am really disappointed how the four years since have gone. Four UFC fights. That's it.

Sad. Conor keeps getting opportunities after all the shit he has pulled. I'd guess a fight or two before he's in the consideration for the title fight would be fair with his inactivity.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah I think people freaked out because of the commentary and because Khabib's head movement / defense looked very awkward and unorthodox there, but honestly it looked more like Khabib was just trying to back up away from the danger and was moving his head everywhere to avoid any further strikes since Dustin was pouring it on a bit. He might've gotten slightly rocked but there was no serious danger there and he recovered fully within like 10 seconds.

Yeah, it looked like Poirier landed a pretty good shot initially but mostly missed on the subsequent ones.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Sad. Conor keeps getting opportunities after all the **** he has pulled. I'd guess a fight or two before he's in the consideration for the title fight would be fair with his inactivity.
Dana just wants that $. With all the drama that happened last time, the rematch would probably sell even more I think. It's pathetic but not surprising. IMO that fight happens again, whether we like it or not. I think Khabib fights Tony, and if he beats him he then re-matches Conor and goes out on a high note assuming he beats him again. Of course, GSP coming out of retirement could f*** all this up.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tough to watch Poirier in the post fight presser. This really meant a lot to him and he came up short...again.

One kind of interesting quote...one reporter asked if he'd be willing to fight Nate or Masvidal for the BMF belt. He said Masvidal is his friend and training partner so he wouldn't fight him and then slammed Covington calling him a sell out. I know ATT is a huge team so you're probably not going to get along with everyone, but it would be interesting to see how it is with Covington in that gym.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
After he beats Ferguson, the best thing for Khabib would be to call out GSP

"It's GSP next, or I retire"

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tough to watch Poirier in the post fight presser. This really meant a lot to him and he came up short...again.

One kind of interesting quote...one reporter asked if he'd be willing to fight Nate or Masvidal for the BMF belt. He said Masvidal is his friend and training partner so he wouldn't fight him and then slammed Covington calling him a sell out. I know ATT is a huge team so you're probably not going to get along with everyone, but it would be interesting to see how it is with Covington in that gym.
Well Covington was supposedly good friends with Jorge but recently he even threw Jorge under the bus which I can't imagine sat too well with the team. And after news broke of the Masvidal/Usman negotiations resulting from the fallout of Colby/Usman he proceeded to call Jorge a 'trash bag'. Dude is a total slimeball who even dumps on his own friends.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Well Covington was supposedly good friends with Jorge but recently he even threw Jorge under the bus which I can't imagine sat too well with the team. And after news broke of the Masvidal/Usman negotiations resulting from the fallout of Colby/Usman he proceeded to call Jorge a 'trash bag'. Dude is a total slimeball who even dumps on his own friends.
Yeah, I was kind of wondering before though if Masvidal and Covington were kind of playing a game to setup a big fight with 'former training partners' type of thing. But with Poirier's comments at such a vulnerable time for him, I'd now be surprised if it wasn't real.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I loved that Poirier and Khabib gave each other their walkout shirts to wear after the fight. I also heard that Khabib was going to sign the shirt and sell it, with the proceeds going to the charity that Poirier manages. Pretty cool show of mutual respect.

Reactions: tacogeoff

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, it looked like Poirier landed a pretty good shot initially but mostly missed on the subsequent ones.

He didn't really land anything during that entire sequence, at least nothing of any consequence.

The guillotine was really, really close to closing the show though.

Reactions: Suxnet

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Khabib has to fight Tony first. Period. I don't know if Tony would win or not, but that's a huge challenge for Khabib. How anyone thinks that Khabib would just smash Tony, I'll never understand.

If he beats Tony, then let's talk about a potential GSP fight.

Reactions: m9 and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Khabib has to fight Tony first. Period. I don't know if Tony would win or not, but that's a huge challenge for Khabib. How anyone thinks that Khabib would just smash Tony, I'll never understand.

If he beats Tony, then let's talk about a potential GSP fight.

Ferguson deserves the shot and he presents some challenges so I hope we finally get to see them fight. I don't remember many of Khabib's earlier UFC fights in detail but recently I can't recall anyone really threatening him off their back. Maybe this is easier said than done because Khabib is a monster on top but at least on paper, Ferguson's ground game and activity could make things interesting when he inevitably gets taken down. This could be Khabib's toughest fight, even though he'll no doubt be the favourite.

I don't think the GSP fight is happening unless they do some weird catchweight fight just for the hell of it. Can't say never when there's a ton of money involved but it seems unlikely. GSP's great but he can't keep taking title fights and then immediately retiring. He has already said he wouldn't defend the belt if he beat Khabib.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The two most obvious title fights that need to happen right now are Khabib/Ferguson & Usman/Covington. No reason the UFC shouldn't get those both done by the end of the year.

Usman/Covington should be headlining UFC 244 but somehow both sides f***ed that up. 245 already has two championship fights set, so unless they really stack that card, we may have to wait until next year to see both of these fights.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think Ferguson is the match up that needs to be made, that said, I think he suffers a similar fate as Conor and Dustin. Ferguson is interesting, but he's a bit reckless and probably takes too much of a beating.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ferguson deserves the shot and he presents some challenges so I hope we finally get to see them fight. I don't remember many of Khabib's earlier UFC fights in detail but recently I can't recall anyone really threatening him off their back. Maybe this is easier said than done because Khabib is a monster on top but at least on paper, Ferguson's ground game and activity could make things interesting when he inevitably gets taken down. This could be Khabib's toughest fight, even though he'll no doubt be the favourite.

I don't think the GSP fight is happening unless they do some weird catchweight fight just for the hell of it. Can't say never when there's a ton of money involved but it seems unlikely. GSP's great but he can't keep taking title fights and then immediately retiring. He has already said he wouldn't defend the belt if he beat Khabib.
Yeah, Tony can threaten Khabib off his back whether it is his BJJ or his elbows which are nasty. I also think the fact that he is so unpredictable on the feet might confuse Khabib. Of course, he could be too reckless and just walk right into a takedown. I think his endurance and durability are also second to none. He's one of the few fighters that not only doesn't fade, but gets stronger as the fight goes on. I think Khabib's endurance issues are overstated. He was tired in one round against Conor after he went all out to end the fight and a little bit against Al, but he still jabbed the shit out of him and won all 5 rounds. I just think Tony presents a lot of problems that we haven't seen Khabib face yet.

And before anyone says Khabib presents problems that Tony hasn't faced...I know and I agree. That's why that fight needs to happen.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Ferguson is the match up that needs to be made, that said, I think he suffers a similar fate as Conor and Dustin. Ferguson is interesting, but he's a bit reckless and probably takes too much of a beating.
It might play out that way, but Tony is so drastically different than Conor, Poirier, Al, or anyone else that Khabib has faced.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Usman/Covington should be headlining UFC 244 but somehow both sides ****ed that up. 245 already has two championship fights set, so unless they really stack that card, we may have to wait until next year to see both of these fights.
I was really hoping it would get done for UFC 244 so that we can just get it over with. I'm somewhat interested in the fight itself, but I'm dreading the lead up to that fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Usman/Covington probably has to wait until next year unless it doesn't end up on PPV. Them putting it on ESPN seems unlikely, even though I think some people are really overrating how well it'd sell as the main attraction on PPV. Covington brings attention with his nonsense but I don't think he has proven to be a draw so far and Usman certainly isn't one.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad