GDT: UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Cormier has no interest in a fight with Ngannou

He says it's because it's not a big enough fight, but that wasn't an issue when he took on Lewis

I think Ngannou poses too big a risk for DC, which is why he doesn't want to face him
I think there are a number of things at play:
1. Francis is a big risk AND he's not a big fight. I think those are both true.
2. Lewis wasn't a 'big' fight, but I think the UFC backed the Brinks truck up to save that PPV and DC saw an easy path to victory. So he took it.
3. I think DC wants a fight against a clean Jones for competitive reasons AND financial reasons. So he doesn't want to muddy the waters by considering other fights. At least not publicly. At least not yet.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think there are a number of things at play:
1. Francis is a big risk AND he's not a big fight. I think those are both true.
2. Lewis wasn't a 'big' fight, but I think the UFC backed the Brinks truck up to save that PPV and DC saw an easy path to victory. So he took it.
3. I think DC wants a fight against a clean Jones for competitive reasons AND financial reasons. So he doesn't want to muddy the waters by considering other fights. At least not publicly. At least not yet.

I think Ngannou vs Cormier for the heavyweight belt would be a big fight

I would've had more interest in seeing that than Cormier vs Stipe 2

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think Ngannou vs Cormier for the heavyweight belt would be a big fight

I would've had more interest in seeing that than Cormier vs Stipe 2
I don't think there is much of a difference in terms of PPVs between DC-Stipe and DC-Francis. Both are great fights and interesting for different reasons, but neither would sell like DC-Jones or DC-Brock. This PPV will probably get a bump from Nate, but otherwise it would probably do around what DC's other non-Jones fights did. I think DC-Francis would be in that ballpark, too.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Romero says he'd never fight Jones because they're good friends and share an agent. That's the end of that.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Romero says he'd never fight Jones because they're good friends and share an agent. That's the end of that.

That's easy to say now since they're in separate divisions, but if he misses weight again at 185 and the UFC insists he moves up to 205 and offers an immediate title shot, I doubt very much he turns that down

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
DC and Stipe both weighed in 10+ pounds lighter than the first time they fought. That's a pretty significant drop. DC looked extremely fat in that fight so I think it's good for him, not sure about Stipe.

Romero made weight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
DC and Stipe both weighed in 10+ pounds lighter than the first time they fought. That's a pretty significant drop. DC looked extremely fat in that fight so I think it's good for him, not sure about Stipe.

Romero made weight.

Coming in that low against DC is an interesting strategy. Not saying it's right, wrong, or will be a factor at all but I didn't expect it. DC did recently say one of the biggest advantages he has at HW is how much quicker he is than everyone he fights.

184.5 lbs with the shorts on. Glad to see everyone make weight.

Reactions: I am not exposed

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
These are some really tough fights to pick. Miocic coming in at 230 is significant to me. I don't think we'll be able to determine the significance until we see the fight, but that wasn't random. Personally I don't like it, I think he'll lose more power than he'll gain speed/endurance. I hate the, "all it takes at HW is one shot" cliche he says in all his interviews, cause it essentially implies it was somewhat of a fluke the first time.

Diaz-Pettis with Diaz's layoff, a small sample of Pettis at 170, makes it virtually impossible to predict IMO.

I know Costa is a beast but Romero is a pretty big step up in competition. His pressure is gonna force Romero to exchange early and I'm not sure that ends well for Costa.

Gun to my head I'd go Romero, Diaz, DC.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I got Stipe even though I like DC.
I got Pettis even though Diaz looks bigger.
As for Romero and Costa. Let's be real...Costa hasn't fought anyone like this and Romero only needs gas for 3 rounds...not 5. He can explode a lot more. Should be fireworks.

People shouldn't forget that despite being a wrestler Romero is also a finisher too. 13 wins...11 KOs.

member 51464

Forced to pick, I go Romero, Pettis, Stipe. The last one kills me, but until someone not named Jon Jones beats him, I find it hard to pick against Cormier.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
All Sandhagen in the first round. Assuncao might need to try and get it to the ground.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I find going to the coaches during the round to be quite disconcerting.

I like that they're trying new things, like bringing Wittman in to analyze some fights and offer a different perspective, but they can probably go ahead and scrap this idea. The corner has more important things to do than an interview during the fight.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I agree with the three fights being really tough to pick. Should make for a great card.

I like DC more in general but hoping Miocic wins this one for entertainment value.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Sandhagen took some chances that probably made the fight tougher than it needed to be but he looked good. Assuncao is really good so you know Sandhagen is legit after a performance like that.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I agree with the three fights being really tough to pick. Should make for a great card.

I like DC more in general but hoping Miocic wins this one for entertainment value.
I almost always root for the guy that lost the first fight in a rematch. It sets up for the trilogy which is just so much fun.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I got Stipe even though I like DC.
I got Pettis even though Diaz looks bigger.
As for Romero and Costa. Let's be real...Costa hasn't fought anyone like this and Romero only needs gas for 3 rounds...not 5. He can explode a lot more. Should be fireworks.

People shouldn't forget that despite being a wrestler Romero is also a finisher too. 13 wins...11 KOs.
I think Romero's lack of a gas tank is overstated. In the second Whittaker fight, he won rounds 3 and 5 on 2 of the judges scorecards and 3, 4, and 5 on the other judge's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad