GDT: UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, I don't 'like' it, but I don't really have a problem with the taunting after all the shit Askren talks. If someone does that to say Maia or Wonderboy or Holloway or someone like that who's almost always respectful, then it would bug me. But when you talk shit, you're inviting it.

Besides, it might not be a good look, but it's not really hurting anybody. The punches after he was knocked stiff were a bigger problem to me, but that's part of the sport.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Askren talked a lot before the fight so like he said, he probably deserved it. Taunting after a KO is usually in bad taste but Askren is also the guy who went on twitter to mock Till after his brutal loss to Masvidal. Speaking of which, now seems like a good time to make the Askren vs. Till fight if Till plans on staying at 170.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Santos must have some pain tolerance. My buddy tore his PCL during a hockey game and he was screaming in pain when I was driving him to the hospital.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It doesn't have to be an immediate rematch

Dana said he thought Jones easily won the fight and no rematch was needed. Maybe if he rewatched the fight and knew how bad Santos was hurt that might change things.

It's too far away to figure out, but I think we could see a rematch eventually.

The other reason he might not want a rematch is that the fight sucked. Or he doesn't want to risk his star losing to a Brazilian that 90% of fans don't know.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Dana said he thought Jones easily won the fight and no rematch was needed. Maybe if he rewatched the fight and knew how bad Santos was hurt that might change things.

It's too far away to figure out, but I think we could see a rematch eventually.

The other reason he might not want a rematch is that the fight sucked. Or he doesn't want to risk his star losing to a Brazilian that 90% of fans don't know.

For a Jones fight, it was actually fairly entertaining

Usually Jones just dominates his opponent, but that wasn't the case here

Every judge gave Santos at least 2 rounds, so with a better 5th round he could've very well left with the title

White was dismissive of a rematch at the post fight press conference before it was learned the extent of the knee injury

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For a Jones fight, it was actually fairly entertaining

Usually Jones just dominates his opponent, but that wasn't the case here

Every judge gave Santos at least 2 rounds, so with a better 5th round he could've very well left with the title

White was dismissive of a rematch at the post fight press conference before it was learned the extent of the knee injury

Completely disagree. It was a dreadful fight between a hesitant champ getting poor advice from his corner and an injured opponent just trying to survive. Close fight doesn't mean a good fight. It was compelling because of the implications but that's about it.

Reactions: pistolpete11

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Completely disagree. It was a dreadful fight between a hesitant champ getting poor advice from his corner and an injured opponent just trying to survive. Close fight doesn't mean a good fight. It was compelling because of the implications but that's about it.

Agreed. The irony is that I think Santos won that fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Santos must have some pain tolerance. My buddy tore his PCL during a hockey game and he was screaming in pain when I was driving him to the hospital.

Either that or your buddy is a complete *****?? :naughty:

It's funny how everyone's body is so different and also how adrenaline works. I was standing next to a guy who had the same injuries as Santos from football and he iced his knee for an hour and then drove home/hospital.

For Santos to keep fighting vs anyone much less Jon Jones is pretty impressive.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. The irony is that I think Santos won that fight.

I don't think he won (at least based on initial viewing) but I think it's incredible that his corner thought they had easily won 3 rounds and he could coast. Embarrassing mistake that could have been very costly.

Reactions: LSCII

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I never said I could take him in an MMA fight, might wanna re-read the post. I said if he did that to my friend, he'd get his, and I promise you he would. As for the personal stuff, you know absolutely nothing about me so we'll just leave it at that.

Conor's trash talk leading up to the Khabib fight was a hundred times worse than what Askren said. At the end of the day there has to be SOME level of respect among fighters, especially after you knocked the guy out cold and could have potentially done serious/permanent damage. That's where that needs to end. Masvidal needs to grow the F up.
You wouldn’t do shit to him.

He’d embarrass you just like he did to askren

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I never said I could take him in an MMA fight, might wanna re-read the post. I said if he did that to my friend, he'd get his, and I promise you he would.

So you're going to assault someone with a weapon(because let's be serious, you're not doing shit to a professional fighter in hand to hand combat) because they embarrassed a friend of yours after they probably had it coming? Yea, ok, grow some thicker skin.

member 51464

You guys are responding to a dude whose username is meant to be read as "big daddy cool" haha. I think that says it all.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's also one of the most knowledgeable posters here, especially when it comes to steroids/PED stuff. Who cares what someone's username is?

I don't really care about this particular discussion but I don't see what people are worked up about. Lots of people think Masvidal crossed the line, and you can bet if that was a different guy with a different corner being clowned like that you would have seen a full-out brawl.

I was fine with what Masvidal did given the situation, but I also understand why someone else might react differently.

Reactions: Jasper and BGDDYKWL

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
As far as a person, Masvidal is straight trash. Always has been. But a lot of MMA fighters are the exact same way.

But he's a damn good, and an entertaining fighter.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
As far as a person, Askren is a straight up douche. Always has been. But a lot of wrestleing jocks turned MMA fighters are the exact same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad