GDT: UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was a great card from top to bottom. Main event might not have been the most entertaining but no complaints here. I was also wrong about how I thought all the main fights might go.

Jones/Santos was close but I think that was the correct decision. I had it 48-47 for Jones as well. It's too bad Santos was clearly hurt because he could've made it even more interesting if his mobility wasn't compromised.

Not much to add about Nunes, Masvidal, and Błachowicz. Some great highlight reel finishes there.

Last edited:

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
There's world title belts.

Obviously there's title belts in Muay Thai. That's clearly not what was being discussed though, it was about the coloured belt-ranking system that exists in Karate and Jiu-Jitsu, etc.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Is your only reasoning for this something to the effect of "Dana is fickle" or "Dana is unreasonable"?

You'll be shocked if Ben Askren isn't released? Really? There is zero chance.

I don't think they'll cut him, but he is walking on egg shells.

I still don't believe Dana likes him. He got rid of one fighter he had absolutely no time of day for (DJ) to bring in a guy he also doesn't like but who'd make him a bit more money than DJ. And let's be honest, if Joe Rogan didn't campaign so hard to bring Askren over, it wouldn't have happened. He's had one controversial win in one fight and got completely obliterated in the other. That's more than enough reason for Dana to say "he's not good enough" and be done with it.

I also would never put it past Dana to humiliate a fighter that's slighted him in the past if he's given the opportunity. Here's his chance.

If they don't release him now, then I fully expect them to give him a fight he's got a good chance losing. Ponzinibbio could be a dangerous fight for him, though I'd love to see the matchup.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If he wants to step up and pick his spots like when GSP fought Bisping, sure that's fine. I just think he needs to be very careful.

As for a paycheque, sure. But if the option is fighting twice at 205 or fighting Francis Ngannou once, I think fighting twice sounds pretty appealing.
Agreed he needs to be careful. It's definitely a risk, but that's what makes the reward so great.

Francis doesn't really make sense for Jon unless he has the belt, though. And even then there's a risk/reward balance there. I think Jones has the ability to beat Francis, but it is a big challenge.

FWIW, he said he would definitely be open to DC or Stipe at HW in the post fight presser. He did say his focus is on the LHW division too, but I think he's basically saying "pay me if you want me to move up". I fully expect DC-Jones 3 if DC beats Stipe.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I still don't believe Dana likes him. He got rid of one fighter he had absolutely no time of day for (DJ) to bring in a guy he also doesn't like but who'd make him a bit more money than DJ. And let's be honest, if Joe Rogan didn't campaign so hard to bring Askren over, it wouldn't have happened. He's had one controversial win in one fight and got completely obliterated in the other. That's more than enough reason for Dana to say "he's not good enough" and be done with it.

I also would never put it past Dana to humiliate a fighter that's slighted him in the past if he's given the opportunity. Here's his chance.

If they don't release him now, then I fully expect them to give him a fight he's got a good chance losing. Ponzinibbio could be a dangerous fight for him, though I'd love to see the matchup.
There's no chance. Regardless of what you think about the Lawler fight, he's 1-1 in the UFC, talks well, the fans love/hate him, and he's fighting top ranked guys. There's a whole division below him of guys that he probably beats. As devastating as that KO was, it doesn't really prove "he's not good enough" either. I mean, Aldo was KOed in 13s or whatever it was and he's still one of the best FW of all time.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
There's no chance. Regardless of what you think about the Lawler fight, he's 1-1 in the UFC, talks well, the fans love/hate him, and he's fighting top ranked guys. There's a whole division below him of guys that he probably beats. As devastating as that KO was, it doesn't really prove "he's not good enough" either. I mean, Aldo was KOed in 13s or whatever it was and he's still one of the best FW of all time.

You're absolutely right, but you're being logical, lol. I'm not saying that because he got KO'd so quick that's he's not good enough. Quick KO's can happen, as you pointed out, Conor/Aldo, Aldo/Cub. But it's the fact Dana always thought Askren was never good enough to be in the UFC (offered him a conditional contract to come from Bellator, pending one or two WSOF wins), and this can give him the ammo he needs to prove himself right.

Unfortunately, my hate for Dana has led me to believe he can't think logically and makes every decision based on emotion and ego.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Askren is good for the sport

Even if he doesn't wind up with the strap around his belt, he's a marketable fighter who will get in there and compete against anyone

Personally, I don't put much stock in the 3 second KO. He got caught. It happens

It's not as if he was dominated for 15 minutes the way Diego Sanchez was

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You're absolutely right, but you're being logical, lol. I'm not saying that because he got KO'd so quick that's he's not good enough. Quick KO's can happen, as you pointed out, Conor/Aldo, Aldo/Cub. But it's the fact Dana always thought Askren was never good enough to be in the UFC (offered him a conditional contract to come from Bellator, pending one or two WSOF wins), and this can give him the ammo he needs to prove himself right.

Unfortunately, my hate for Dana has led me to believe he can't think logically and makes every decision based on emotion and ego.

Your hate for Dana > Dana's hate for Askren.

I don't even think there's an issue between them.

Reactions: Rocko604

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Just a few other things. Askren has always made weight in the UFC. He's taken all the fights they've offered him. (Both unlike say Lineker) He's also done a lot, arguably more than any other UFC 239 fighter, to promote his fights, which Dana likes for obvious business reasons.

Reactions: Rocko604

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Just a few other things. Askren has always made weight in the UFC. He's taken all the fights they've offered him. (Both unlike say Lineker) He's also done a lot, arguably more than any other UFC 239 fighter, to promote his fights, which Dana likes for obvious business reasons.

True, no secret those two things alone will earn you a lot of favours with the company.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Masvidal is a piece of garbage. If I were in Askren's corner I would've attacked that mother f'er. You won, in dominant fashion, you taunted him while he was lying unconscious, we're done. You don't CONTINUE on and on with it after that. Just an absolute classless piece of trash. I CANNOT wait until someone whoops his ass. If I were a friend/family member of Askren's I'd be in jail right now.

Jones is the GOAT but this is the first blemish on his record IMO. If Santos doesn't shred his knee things would've been VERY interesting. Jones definitely won that fight though. You gotta clearly beat the champ IMO to take his belt, and that did not happen.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Obviously there's title belts in Muay Thai. That's clearly not what was being discussed though, it was about the coloured belt-ranking system that exists in Karate and Jiu-Jitsu, etc.

In Australia we have 'shirts' rather than coloured belt ranking.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Masvidal is a piece of garbage. If I were in Askren's corner I would've attacked that mother f'er. You won, in dominant fashion, you taunted him while he was lying unconscious, we're done. You don't CONTINUE on and on with it after that. Just an absolute classless piece of trash. I CANNOT wait until someone whoops his ass. If I were a friend/family member of Askren's I'd be in jail right now.

Nope, you would be in the hospital because he’d beat your ass too.

Fake tough = sit at home talking about what you could do
Real tough= training, dedicating yourself to that life, and sending people to the hospital when people talk shit before a fight

Unless you're good enough, dedicated enough, athletic enough to be a successful pro fighter, that guy Masvidal could do anything he wanted to you and make you love it. I thought we all figured that out when CM Punk trained for two years and tried to get in the cage.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHockeyfan91

member 51464

I generally am not a fan of the excessive taunting after a knockout, but Askren deserves it with how he runs his mouth. As I said during the fight upthread, "Talk shit, get hit."

If you are humble in the run up and get embarrassed, you aren't generally going to have people doing that. Look at Masvidal after he bludgeoned Till. They had a more traditional type of run-up with more friendly banter shit talk, and Jorge was magnanimous in victory. He had some nice things to say about the young man, saying Till was young and would be back, etc...

People hating on Masvidal for the celebration can't want it both ways. As we learned from McGregor and Khabib, it is the guy listening who gets to decide how real the shit talk is and how personal to take it.

Reactions: I am not exposed

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I generally am not a fan of the excessive taunting after a knockout, but Askren deserves it with how he runs his mouth. As I said during the fight upthread, "Talk ****, get hit."

If you are humble in the run up and get embarrassed, you aren't generally going to have people doing that. Look at Masvidal after he bludgeoned Till. They had a more traditional type of run-up with more friendly banter **** talk, and Jorge was magnanimous in victory. He had some nice things to say about the young man, saying Till was young and would be back, etc...

People hating on Masvidal for the celebration can't want it both ways. As we learned from McGregor and Khabib, it is the guy listening who gets to decide how real the **** talk is and how personal to take it.

There are people you don't trash talk without consequences (the Diaz brothers, Masvidal, Khabib). Even Darren Till knew to not stir s**t up with Masvidal.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Jones is the GOAT but this is the first blemish on his record IMO. If Santos doesn't shred his knee things would've been VERY interesting. Jones definitely won that fight though. You gotta clearly beat the champ IMO to take his belt, and that did not happen.

If you don't want to be taunted after a loss, then don't lose! It's as simple as that

If you're going to hate on Masvidal, it should be for the unnecessary punches he landed after Askren was already out, or his backstage sucker punch of Edwards in Britain

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I pretty much embrace all the different personalities in MMA, that's what makes it fun. I don't want 100 Jorge Masvidals, but I'm really happy we've got one. That's why I don't really have a problem with anything he did.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Nope, you would be in the hospital because he’d beat your ass too.

Fake tough = sit at home talking about what you could do
Real tough= training, dedicating yourself to that life, and sending people to the hospital when people talk **** before a fight

Unless you're good enough, dedicated enough, athletic enough to be a successful pro fighter, that guy Masvidal could do anything he wanted to you and make you love it. I thought we all figured that out when CM Punk trained for two years and tried to get in the cage.
I never said I could take him in an MMA fight, might wanna re-read the post. I said if he did that to my friend, he'd get his, and I promise you he would. As for the personal stuff, you know absolutely nothing about me so we'll just leave it at that.

Conor's trash talk leading up to the Khabib fight was a hundred times worse than what Askren said. At the end of the day there has to be SOME level of respect among fighters, especially after you knocked the guy out cold and could have potentially done serious/permanent damage. That's where that needs to end. Masvidal needs to grow the F up.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Askren is good for the sport

Even if he doesn't wind up with the strap around his belt, he's a marketable fighter who will get in there and compete against anyone

Personally, I don't put much stock in the 3 second KO. He got caught. It happens

It's not as if he was dominated for 15 minutes the way Diego Sanchez was

Yeah I agree with this. It's a fight, anyone can get caught. It was a haymaker from hell basically. If that didn't land Jorge would have been on his back for three rounds. Hats off to him though, Masvidal read him perfectly. Credit to Mike Brown, he was for sure the mastermind behind that. I liked the taunting and extra shots personally. Talk **** get hit. It was Bisping/Hendo esque.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I never said I could take him in an MMA fight, might wanna re-read the post. I said if he did that to my friend, he'd get his, and I promise you he would. As for the personal stuff, you know absolutely nothing about me so we'll just leave it at that.

It's nothing personal. Nobody here, unless you are a professional fighter, could do anything to that guy. He has an entourage on top of all that. You might sucker punch him but you would wind up in the hospital as I said.

Did you see that BJ Penn video, washed up as he is, where he's high and drunk while beating up some guy a lot bigger than him?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's nothing personal. Nobody here, unless you are a professional fighter, could do anything to that guy. He has an entourage on top of all that. You might sucker punch him but you would wind up in the hospital as I said.

Did you see that BJ Penn video, washed up as he is, where he's high and drunk while beating up some guy a lot bigger than him?

If only there was some of sort of device that you could carry to inflict damage upon someone..

Reactions: I am not exposed

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If only there was some of sort of device that you could carry to inflict damage upon someone..

You act like the other guy walks around expecting nothing. Someone like Masvidal would walk around carrying something because he's made those enemies in actuality and not on a keyboard. All because the other guy hurt someone else with words after the fight finished? Talk about being a crybaby.

Maybe some people who think they're so tough should go to the gym, train, and take a fight.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Askren runs his mouth all the time. He doesn’t get to dictate how people react and treat him in response.

Plus he wasn’t even awake to see the taunting :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad