GDT: UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson 2

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well what is the cut like that UFC gets for each PPV buy? If the difference of Jones versus not Jones is 200k buys, and they are down $5,000,000 on the gate revenue and would only need $25 per PPV to break even.

Not sure if it has gone into affect yet, but the UFC renegotiated their PPV revenue structure and will be receiving a 70% cut instead of the old 50/50. Even at a conservative 200K difference in PPV buys between a Jon Jones headlined PPV and a Cyborg/Nunes PPV(I think that's on the low end to be honest), that's still a $9M difference.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure if it has gone into affect yet, but the UFC renegotiated their PPV revenue structure and will be receiving a 70% cut instead of the old 50/50. Even at a conservative 200K difference in PPV buys between a Jon Jones headlined PPV and a Cyborg/Nunes PPV(I think that's on the low end to be honest), that's still a $9M difference.

Obviously we are guessing a bit, but..

Even at 70% with a 200k difference, you would be looking at 8-9 million if they had pulled Jones from the PPV and stayed in Vegas.

Dana says they will lose 5 million in gate moving to LA (who knows) and along with extra logistics and whatever they pay Jones (2-4 million seems reasonable?) so you're getting in the range where it's not financially a big deal either way.

I think it's more about telling off NSAC with the financial benefit being in hopefully getting some more fights from Jones down the line sooner than than later.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Helwani's Twitter timeline has been a good resource for this.

The Mir stuff is interesting because it seems like USADA has changed their stance on the issue, which sucks for guys like Mir but is a good thing for fighters/fans going forward.

Helwani also linked to the story of a college football player who had a similar issue to Jones.

That college football player had an injection from a doctor that stayed in his system for 3 years because it was in his fat stores. It would be a plausible excuse if Jones had even an ounce of fat on him, but he doesn't. The guy is shredded. The college football player is a 300 lb lineman named Kolton Houston. He and Jones do not have a similar body type in the least. For frame of reference, I posted a picture of Houston below.

At what point are people going to wake up and admit he's a known doper? The first time he got caught it was the old homeopathic boner pills as his excuse. Next time it was the old tainted supplement with no intention to cheat. This time it's a miracle drug out living the half life of the PED and is attributed to the last positive test? Yeah, no. The guy is filthy. He's using. He's been using. And his legacy is that of a PED abuser.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
From MMAFighting.com:
"USADA determined that the trace is “consistent with residual amounts from his prior exposure for which he was previously sanctioned.” USADA said it has agreed with the independent arbitrator who previously felt Jones was getting no performance-enhancing benefits from those levels. Jones is not facing any further sanction from USADA.'

I don't see why everyone is taking a hissy fit

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
From MMAFighting.com:
"USADA determined that the trace is “consistent with residual amounts from his prior exposure for which he was previously sanctioned.” USADA said it has agreed with the independent arbitrator who previously felt Jones was getting no performance-enhancing benefits from those levels. Jones is not facing any further sanction from USADA.'

USADA said in their statement that this sample was ''consistent with prior residual amounts detected in Mr. Jones’ samples''.. so he tested positive before during this 18 month period, since july '17? we didn't hear that until now, though?

if the metabolite really lasts this long, why haven't other athletes got popped for it year or later aftee the intial positive test (or have they, not aware of any but maybe i'm wrong on that one)?

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
From MMAFighting.com:

Because in the recent past, other fighters(Frank Mir, Tom Lawlor etc) have received lengthy suspensions due to similar levels of steroids found in their system and now USADA and the CSAC are citing this “pulsing” phenomenon in Jones’ case. Mir was told by USADA that the level found in his system could only be explained by steroid use within the previous few months, but now they claim in Jones’ case he could have this in his system forever. Coupled with the CSAC/USADA reducing his suspension due to the “snitching clause” and Jones refusing to take a test with VADA and this all looks extremely suspicious.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the NSAC hearing in January.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
From MMAFighting.com:

Because it doesn’t make sense for Turinabol to be in his system even in trace amounts after that length of time. That shit leaves your system and is untraceable pretty damn fast.

I hope Gustafsson knocks his ass out and we can just be done with Jones.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Because it doesn’t make sense for Turinabol to be in his system even in trace amounts after that length of time. That **** leaves your system and is untraceable pretty damn fast.

I hope Gustafsson knocks his ass out and we can just be done with Jones.

How long does it take to leave your system? I've seen many different ranges.

Victor Conte mentioned on Twitter that he thinks it's very possible and he's someone who has been very clear that he thinks Jones is a past user.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Because in the recent past, other fighters(Frank Mir, Tom Lawlor etc) have received lengthy suspensions due to similar levels of steroids found in their system and now USADA and the CSAC are citing this “pulsing” phenomenon in Jones’ case. Mir was told by USADA that the level found in his system could only be explained by steroid use within the previous few months, but now they claim in Jones’ case he could have this in his system forever. Coupled with the CSAC/USADA reducing his suspension due to the “snitching clause” and Jones refusing to take a test with VADA and this all looks extremely suspicious.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the NSAC hearing in January.

For sure. Hopefully it's a sign of progress as opposed to incompetence. I am hoping they have just learned more and in the future guys in Mir/Lawlor's situations would have gotten to continue their career.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For sure. Hopefully it's a sign of progress as opposed to incompetence. I am hoping they have just learned more and in the future guys in Mir/Lawlor's situations would have gotten to continue their career.

They would absolutely not have been given that chance because they're not Jon Jones. Clear favoritism. Blatant disregard of the actual rules based on stature. Complete f***ing joke.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
maybe Jones took something a while ago that ****ed his system up so much that he's still having residual effects, we don't know

either way Jones is going to make a statement and knock Gus the **** out

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
How long does it take to leave your system? I've seen many different ranges.

Victor Conte mentioned on Twitter that he thinks it's very possible and he's someone who has been very clear that he thinks Jones is a past user.
Turinabol can be out super quick. It can be completely out and untraceable in weeks. I read the shortest end of the timeline being 5 days depending on dosage, and highest being a few months tops. Even if it was true, I have a hard time believing it’d be from 18 months ago. Turinabol doesn’t stick around that long unless he was a complete dope and took some designer/fake/bad shit that’d stick around longer, or he’s legitimately taking tainted supplements but his dumbass hasn’t changed them to get clean, but he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt on that front after his history imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Turinabol can be out super quick. It can be completely out and untraceable in weeks. I read the shortest end of the timeline being 5 days depending on dosage, and highest being a few months tops. Even if it was true, I have a hard time believing it’d be from 18 months ago. Turinabol doesn’t stick around that long unless he was a complete dope and took some designer/fake/bad **** that’d stick around longer, or he’s legitimately taking tainted supplements but his dumbass hasn’t changed them to get clean, but he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt on that front after his history imo.

From what I've read, the most likely scenario is exactly the first thing you suggested. He took some designer stuff that was tainted or whatever which is why he got busted last year and it's just stuck around a long time. This adds up with the extremely low levels found originally and even lower levels found now.

It also adds up why the UFC and USADA is backing him now when in the past they wouldn't. Having Jones as champion and then busted again would be a terrible look for the UFC and they certainly wouldn't be going to all this extra effort if they thought that was the outcome.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
From what I've read, the most likely scenario is exactly the first thing you suggested. He took some designer stuff that was tainted or whatever which is why he got busted last year and it's just stuck around a long time. This adds up with the extremely low levels found originally and even lower levels found now.

It also adds up why the UFC and USADA is backing him now when in the past they wouldn't. Having Jones as champion and then busted again would be a terrible look for the UFC and they certainly wouldn't be going to all this extra effort if they thought that was the outcome.
USADA has also basically admitted though that they really have no idea whether it's due to the turinabol in his system from 2017 or not.

Even Jeff Novitzky contradicts himself with what he has previously said.

Novitzky is going to be on JRE Thursday so let's see what circles he goes in, assuming Rogan even presses him about it (which he probably won't do too hard cause he's a company man).

Another interesting note from Frank Mir. It's clear to me that if this is anyone else besides Jones or McGregor the card (or at least the headliner) would likely be cancelled for sure and the fighter likely in big trouble.

ldooh9miz6621.jpg

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Mir is one of my favorite personalities in all of MMA, and I would very much like to see him replace Cormier as an analyst on broadcasts, but there is no doubt in my mind that he knowingly used PED's leading up to his fight with Lesnar at UFC 100

frank_mir.jpg
330919kt.jpg

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Mir is one of my favorite personalities in all of MMA, and I would very much like to see him replace Cormier as an analyst on broadcasts, but there is no doubt in my mind that he knowingly used PED's leading up to his fight with Lesnar at UFC 100

frank_mir.jpg
330919kt.jpg
Oh I don't believe that he didn't take roids knowingly. It's more so the way he was handled after popping vs Jones.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
maybe Jones took something a while ago that ****ed his system up so much that he's still having residual effects, we don't know

either way Jones is going to make a statement and knock Gus the **** out

Like the first fight? When Gustafsson slapped Jones around and got robbed.

Ok

Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad