Bantamweight bout: Douglas Silva de Andrade vs. Petr Yan
Lightweight bout: BJ Penn vs. Ryan Hall

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Bantamweight bout: Andre Ewell vs. Nathaniel Wood
Middleweight bout: Uriah Hall vs. Bevon Lewis
Welterweight bout: Curtis Millender vs. Siyar Bahadurzada
Bantamweight bout: Brian Kelleher vs. Montel Jackson​

member 51464

Rewatching that fight with fresh eyes for the first time in a long time....I think Gus took it. Damn that was close, though.

What also surprises me is that Gus only has one more fight than Jones since:

Jones:
Full 5 with Teixeira in April 2014
Full 5 with DC in January 2015
Full 5 with OSP in April 2016
DC rematch in July 2017

Gus:
Knockout of Jimi Manuwa in March 2014
Knocked out by Rumble in January 2015 (i remember watching life. It was pretty shocking. It is sad we never got to see Jones take a Rumble shot.)
Full 5 loss to DC in October 2015
Full 3 over Blachowicz in Sep 2016
TKO of Glover Teixeira in May 2017

Jones may be the most naturally gifted dude to ever grace the sport. I think Gus is probably a better fighter now than he was then, but it is hard to know when someone has reached or surpassed their physical prime.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nice to have the GOAT back, and that's a pretty stacked prelim card too. Looking forward to this one

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Not a good excuse by any means, but I never got the feeling Jones took Gus seriously and just managed to gut out a victory. I expect him to win in convincing fashion. I like him and Cyborg a lot at -280/-260. As m9 mentioned, lots of interesting fights top to bottom on this one.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
after rewatching the first fight, i change my mind and i definitely think that Gus lost pretty convincingly. Hard to pick Gus for the rematch, when the one who landed the damaging blows consistently in the first fight was actually Jones.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
after rewatching the first fight, i change my mind and i definitely think that Gus lost pretty convincingly. Hard to pick Gus for the rematch, when the one who landed the damaging blows consistently in the first fight was actually Jones.
I changed my mind the second time I watched it as well. I think the first time was such a surprise that it was as close as it was and I was kind of rooting for the underdog anyway. I think Rogan was surprised too and his commentating was a little too in favor of Gus. That probably influenced my opinion the first time. Regardless, it was a really close fight and a UFC classic. Can't wait for the rematch even if I expect Jones to win it more convincingly this time.

I keep trying to buy into Cyborg-Nunes being a close fight, but I can't. I think Cyborg is just too big, strong, and good. Nunes at least has more power than anyone Cyborg has faced in the UFC. Maybe she catches her with something and at least gets Cyborg's attention. I think Cyborg wins relatively easy.

Reactions: MD thaivuN

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So from just reading the article quickly, they are suggesting that this amount of steroid metabolite found in his system is consistent with it being from his failed test in July 2017. Anyone familiar with this know if this is something that could actually happen or is the UFC and everyone else pulling a fast one on us? On that note, what the f*** did Jon take initially that would stay in his system for 18 months?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Oh, and Dana White said they expect to lose about $5M in gate revenue due to the late switch from Vegas to LA. Hope they're happy with this POS.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I said I believed Jones after that last failed test because it was just so odd and I actually believe him in this case as well if the info we've been given is accurate. The optics are terrible though and I don't blame anyone if they don't buy it.

Have to really feel for people who were going to Vegas for the event and had to pay for flights, hotels, tickets, etc. The UFC just screwed all of those people by moving it on a weeks notice all because of one fighter and his inability to make anything easy.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
FWIW, Tom Lawlor said he was suspended for 2 years for testing positive for 17 pictograms of Ostarine. The lastest sample from Jones, taken 18 months after he was initially suspended, was said to have a level of pictograms in the "teens". So one guy is deemed to be a "cheat" while the other "just messed up".

Reactions: sabremike

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jones deserves his share of the blame as well, but having fights and fighters impacted by USADA for the things that have absolutely zero impact on the actual fights is getting really old.

member 51464

Give Gus part of the purse.

Oh, and maybe have the ref take points for eye pokes this fight?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dirtbag can't lay off the juice. f***ing loser. And people still say this asshat is the GOAT? f*** that noise. Guy is a loooooooooser. Cheat cheat and cheat some more Jon. Maybe you can rat out some NFL players again to get out of this one too...:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Anyone giving this guy the benefit of doubt at this point is lying to themselves. He's filthy and clearly has always been using. Them pointing to trace amounts like it doesn't matter means that he simply f***ed up with his masking agents, which is why he pissed hot. Can't wait to see what Sonnen has to say about this. Should be hilarious...

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I can't believe there are still people who defend Jones or think he's innocent. :laugh:

Jones deserves his share of the blame as well, but having fights and fighters impacted by USADA for the things that have absolutely zero impact on the actual fights is getting really old.

This is asinine. He tested positive for one of the most well-known anabolic steroids that Olympians have used for decades.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Christmas came early this year!! f***ing hilarious. And f*** Kenny Florian for toeing the company line and backing the pinch of salt bullshit line Jones is selling ONCE AGAIN. How many times before his rump swabs wake the f*** up and realize his abilities came out of a needle?

Reactions: canuckster19

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I have a hard time believing Jon Jones has just been having all these unfortunate misnaps the last 2.5 years that been causing him to fasley piss hot.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the people still defending him, if he were really clean then why didn't he take up the CSAC's offer for him to enter into VADA and prove he truly was clean? If this were really the same metabolites from the last test 18 months ago, then why not prove you're really on the up and up?

We all know why, because he's not clean. He enters VADA and they find out how much shit he's really on. Dirtbags gonna dirtbag. lol

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
So from just reading the article quickly, they are suggesting that this amount of steroid metabolite found in his system is consistent with it being from his failed test in July 2017. Anyone familiar with this know if this is something that could actually happen or is the UFC and everyone else pulling a fast one on us? On that note, what the **** did Jon take initially that would stay in his system for 18 months?

Last time it was supposed to be traces from supplements, how does that remain in your system for a year and a half and still register as a pop by the commission. The only logical reasoning is he tried to stop the juice further out from the fight to avoid pissing hot and didnt get it right, or hes still on the supplements. Regardless you shouldn't have a fighter entering the octagon after all of this and if you do he shouldn't be fighting for the God damn title!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad