GDT: UFC 193: Rousey vs Holm

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Tyrone Spong is a Glory champion. One of the best kickboxers in the world. Even he couldn't just jump right in and be the best. It takes a lot to transition. You have to start at the bottom like everyone else.

Carnage Corbett > Tyrone Spong

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
She's not a terrible champion because she sucks at fighting or anything, she's a great fighter, sure overrated as hell in striking but a goddess on the clinch & mat, but she's not like Mike Tyson or any of those guys the media like to compare her to. She's the first female UFC champion with a very thin talent field in that division and they already dub her "the greatest martial artist in the world" and she actually believes everything they say about her. That's why ton of people are not a fan, not to mention her lack of respect for her opponents n peers in the UFC, pre/post fight. Only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner and that's what she is. /rant ;)
I agree, Joe Rogan especially was going off the rails for a while with the way he was praising her. I don't know about the disrespect that much in all her fights, but it sure made her look dumb in this one.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
More like Ronda and her coach tried to prove she was better at boxing than a pro boxer
Finnish female world champion pro boxer Eva Wahlström commented about Rousey that she wouldnt have a chance in a real boxing ring. She said that Ronda's technique has too much flaws.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I agree, Joe Rogan especially was going off the rails for a while with the way he was praising her. I don't know about the disrespect that much in all her fights, but it sure made her look dumb in this one.

I think she was respectful against Cat Zingano and considering Cat's tough year ahead of the fight, it would've been extremely disrespectful not to be.

Before the fight began, Rogan seemed to be in full fawning mode. After Ronda didn't touch gloves, Rogan just laughed and said, "of course she didn't". But the longer the fight went on, the more Rogan went on Holm's side and turned against Rousey.

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
More like Ronda and her coach tried to prove she was better at boxing than a pro boxer instead of going for the takedown and submission, and her bad stand up skills got exposed. Take a look back at the Rousey vs Correia fight, Rousey could have taken her down on many occasions but she kept on boxing and luckily knocked out Correia. She thought she was the next Mike Tyson and that she could do the same again last night and it didn't work.

People in this thread are underrating Ronda's takedown skills alot. I guess we'll have to wait for the rematch to find out how if Holm won due to her superior skills or due to Rousey's bad plan.

No. Ronda couldn't have taken her down on many ocassions. She rushes in, throwing punches, clinches, takes you down. She couldn't get the clinch. You're out of your mind if you think Ronda wanted to be in a boxing match after that first exchange. Ronda needs a new coach and new team because I think she is surrounded by yes men. Where was her plan B? She doesn't have one. Ever. Look at how heavy she was breathing at the end of the first? Her gameplan was bullrush, takedown, arm bar. But it didn't work. No matter how small the possibility seemed at this point, Edmund and co. should have prepared for "What do we do if we don't take her down in 15 seconds?" They didn't. They never have. They probably never will. "You're doing great, champ." was what he told her after the first round.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
No. Ronda couldn't have taken her down on many ocassions. She rushes in, throwing punches, clinches, takes you down. She couldn't get the clinch. You're out of your mind if you think Ronda wanted to be in a boxing match after that first exchange. Ronda needs a new coach and new team because I think she is surrounded by yes men. Where was her plan B? She doesn't have one. Ever. Look at how heavy she was breathing at the end of the first? Her gameplan was bullrush, takedown, arm bar. But it didn't work. No matter how small the possibility seemed at this point, Edmund and co. should have prepared for "What do we do if we don't take her down in 15 seconds?" They didn't. They never have. They probably never will. "You're doing great, champ." was what he told her after the first round.

"beautiful work, champ" i was cringing so hard there. What terrible coaching lol

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
But the tough guy/girl act is fun when they back it up. She would act tough, and then cream the opponent, it was fun to watch. In the lead up to this fight though, she's acted kinda *****y, then didn't touch gloves, took the cheap shot, and then got destroyed by Holm. Ugly to see and I would feel embarrassed if I were her. I'm not gonna say she was a terrible champion or an embarrassment to MMA or anything. Ronda Rousey was and still is must see television.

Was pretty evident she was fighting cans though. So nothing really that impressive with what she was doing

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Maybe in the rematch she doesn't come out acting like Nick Diaz. I doubt it, because once the match is set the media will be back to singing her praises as the greatest female martial artist ever and she'll eat up once again.

Wonder how De La Hoya feels about putting her on the cover of Ring Magazine now? :laugh:

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Does this scream out Dillashaw vs Barao to anyone? I feel like the next fight would probably go the same way in Holms favor. Here's hoping.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I've been waiting years for Ronda to be lying on the mat out cold. Man that was great. Ranked right up there to when Weidman did it to Anderson. Nothing better than seeing someone that arrogant put in their place in devastating fashion.

There was all this talk about her being not a once in a lifetime fighter, but once ever. Lol. She had been fighting a bunch of girls that realistically would be fighting at 125 that were relatively limited in terms of their experience and not nearly as physically imposing as Ronda. Now granted Ronda absolutely destroyed them, but she got exposed worse than anyone I can ever remember against Holly. It looked like a child fighting a professional. She's always come across as petulant and extremely arrogant, but it seems she was really buying the hype that her standup was actually impressive.

Holm never really impressed me all that much in her other fights, but this was really a clinic. I wasn't as confident that she'd be able to light Ronda up like she did, but I did feel she was the only true 135er that Ronda's faced, and her size/strength could prove to play a factor. Ultimately it was her striking skills, range, gameplan, etc., but you could see the few times they were in the clinch, Ronda did not have the advantage. That was impressive as well.

I'm sure they'll have an immediate rematch, but Ronda doesn't deserve it. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, immediate rematches should be reserved SOLELY for extremely close fights, or controversial decisions. This was a complete ass beating. Tate was promised a title shot, give it to her, and let Ronda take some time off and then come back and fight someone else.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Was pretty evident she was fighting cans though. So nothing really that impressive with what she was doing
I was impressed. Just cause she beat people with ease doesn't mean she should the fights should be disregarded. It's not like Holly Holm was overly impressive as an MMA fighter before this, but she beats Ronda and all of a sudden she's impressive as ****.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Carnage Corbett > Tyrone Spong

What's Spong up to now? Has he continued his foray into the mma world?

What did you think about that JJ vs. VT fight, dawg?

As someone who usually has a reach disadvantage against his opponents, I love seeing Hoost style 3 punch leg kick combos and that fight was amazing to watch.

1 2 3 leg kick. Love it!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I sincerely doubt there will be an immediate rematch.

Only way I can see it not happening is if Ronda doesn't come back or doesn't want it. An immediate rematch is what makes the most sense financially for Ronda, Holm, and the UFC.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Only way I can see it not happening is if Ronda doesn't come back or doesn't want it. An immediate rematch is what makes the most sense financially for Ronda, Holm, and the UFC.

Not sure I agree. I could see them putting Holm against someone like Meisha, and Rousey against some middling figher that she'll run through. Why have 1 main event, when you can have 2?

Edit - You're right though, it's weird Cain got an immediate rematch.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Biggest winner in all of this is Floyd Mayweather

50cent-rousey1.jpg

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I was impressed. Just cause she beat people with ease doesn't mean she should the fights should be disregarded. It's not like Holly Holm was overly impressive as an MMA fighter before this, but she beats Ronda and all of a sudden she's impressive as ****.

Personally I'm not hyping holm up to be something she's not. I just said it was Rondas first real test and she got massacred.

When I seen people around here saying she was p4p #1 in all of MMA and I see people in the media proclaiming ber to be some generational superstar I was disgusted. Then you have her attitude which was that of a spoiled ****ing brat.

When she got knocked out (well honestly I read it before I saw it because I was out for the night) it was one of the goat MMA moments of all time.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
She deserves to lose for saying "I want to retire undefeated"

That's likely the most arrogant and stupid thing one could ever say.

Even Floyd, as unbeaten and arrogant as he was, never said any dumb **** like that.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
She deserves to lose for saying "I want to retire undefeated"

That's likely the most arrogant and stupid thing one could ever say.

Even Floyd, as unbeaten and arrogant as he was, never said any dumb **** like that.

Well, after 2007 he pretty much picked fighters that had a small chance of beating him, ensuring he would retire undefeated anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad