GDT: UFC 193: Rousey vs Holm

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Ronda will implement a better game plan in the rematch and force a third fight. It's ridiculous that she abandoned her wrestling in favour of striking against a world class boxer. Arrogance got the best of her me thinks.
This.

Rhonda beat Rhonda. The complete disregard for a world class kick boxer coupled with Rhonda believing her own hype is what did her in.

She is still the best in the game. If Holm dominates the rematch only then can you say Holm is on her level. Holm came in with the perfect game plan and Rhonda was extremely stupid and all ego.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
CT1Um1PWcAEWuEf.jpg

Daice

Jun 30, 2009
Not one second did I think ronda could be beat by holm, what holm did is eye tearing

I rewatched the fight like 5 times this morning, then a few of her older intervews, SHE IS SUCH A SWEETIE!!!!!! it's incredible.

absolutely incredible.

I'm in shock.... still 10hours after the event

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
There's no 'h' in Ronda, just an fyi to the casuals here.

Footwork wins and Rousey's got exposed really badly. She had no idea what to do with Holm's angles and got countered almost at will with the left hook. She was done like dinner before the kick and has a lot of work to do before a rematch. I don't like her chances in a rematch either way because Holm can also still improve her takedown defense/clichwork/grappling every bit as much as Ronda can improve her standup, especially when compared to a lifetime boxer.

A lot of people, myself included are eating crow tonight and it's exactly why this sport is the best. People are saying some pretty nasty things about Rousey out there. As if her getting KTFO's isn't enough satisfaction for the haters.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
If Ronda stays with her joke of a coach Edmund she will probably lose in a rematch as well, he's straight up delusional about his ability as a coach and made himself and Ronda believe she could be a boxing champ. Also in between rounds he tells her she's doing great and gives no actual advice as she's getting lit up, meanwhile Holm has two of the best coaches in mma in her corner giving her great technical advice.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Not really going to thrash Edmund for his cornering advice skills. Coaches have all different styles of instructions they give and fighters responds differently to these instructions. Rousey is probably just a non-thinking fighter type.

What makes Edmund a god awful coach is that he never really gave Rousey the technical striking skills for her to fight the way she does, nor has he managed to contain/refined the brawling instinct of Rousey. Never really seen anybody out of that camp look like good strikers.

IMO, Ronda Rousey should go to Master Cordeiro. The man is just well known to produce quality pressure fighters and is a master of cultivating mental confidence.

The Jesus*

All the boxing fanboys are celebrating because they think a boxer just beat the **** out of a pure MMArtist.

Boxers need to **** with that noise. Firstly, she's a kickboxer now. It was a kick that knocked Ronda out, not a punch.

Secondly, boxing as a form of self defense is dead. Ive seen respected boxers get tapped by girls in the gym. If you are learning for self defense and not just fitness/hobby, you take muay thai and some form of submission wrestling. You absolutely do not take boxing.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
LOL boxing is dead as a sport? A boxer just absolutely crushed the "best" MMA fighter in the world.

People said Mayweather would get beaten by Rousey. What a joke. Mayweather would spark Rousey in 10 seconds flat.

Rousey loses to Holms 10 times out of 10. I don't get why people want a rematch. Rousey was dominated, absolutely decimated.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Boxers need to **** with that noise. Firstly, she's a kickboxer now. It was a kick that knocked Ronda out, not a punch.

Secondly, boxing as a form of self defense is dead. Ive seen respected boxers get tapped by girls in the gym. If you are learning for self defense and not just fitness/hobby, you take muay thai and some form of submission wrestling. You absolutely do not take boxing.

She switched to boxing from kickboxing. She hasn't kickboxed since 2003.

In fact she made her MMA debut while still boxing, and won WBF, IBA and WBAN world boxing titles after her MMA debut.

With Holm training at Greg Jackson's, she's only going to get better as an MMA fighter.

The Jesus*

LOL boxing is dead as a sport? A boxer just absolutely crushed the "best" MMA fighter in the world.

People said Mayweather would get beaten by Rousey. What a joke. Mayweather would spark Rousey in 10 seconds flat.

Rousey loses to Holms 10 times out of 10. I don't get why people want a rematch. Rousey was dominated, absolutely decimated.

A kickboxer. And yes, boxing is dead as a form of self defense. People who pay money to learn exclusively boxing alone and think they'll be able to defend themselves are deluded and are essentially flushing money down the toilet.

James Toney is what happens when a "boxer" fights an mma guy.

The Jesus*

She switched to boxing from kickboxing. In fact she made her MMA debut while still boxing, and won WBF, IBA and WBAN world boxing titles after her MMA debut.

With Holm training at Greg Jackson's, she's only going to get better as an MMA fighter.

Inside an MMA ring she is a kickboxer. That's her style and her game.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
A kickboxer. And yes, boxing is dead as a form of self defense. People who pay money to learn exclusively boxing alone and think they'll be able to defend themselves are deluded and are essentially flushing money down the toilet.

James Toney is what happens when a "boxer" fights an mma guy.

Boxing is the best form of self defense. Real fights are not 1 on 1 affairs and are quick and take places in bars where your standing up. I'd like to see a wrestler try to take someone down and make someone tap out while 4 other dudes are stomping on you.

James Toney is the best example? LOL, James Toney had complete brain damage when he joined MMA, was completely overweight, and was over 40 years old.

Take Vitali Klitschko, with kickboxing and boxing experience, and he would destroy everyone in MMA.

Any MMA fighter gets hit by Wlad Klitschko, they would taste the canvas.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I think Rousey is the most overrated fighter of this generation. She was absolutely exposed. She was always getting hit prior to this fight, look at her boxing ability.

You can't be in a combat sport and not know how to strike. It's pitiful that she actually won so many fights before this fight.

The Jesus*

Boxing is the best form of self defense. Real fights are not 1 on 1 affairs and are quick and take places in bars where your standing up. I'd like to see a wrestler try to take someone down and make someone tap out while 4 other dudes are stomping on you.

James Toney is the best example? LOL, James Toney had complete brain damage when he joined MMA, was completely overweight, and was over 40 years old.

Take Vitali Klitschko, with kickboxing and boxing experience, and he would destroy everyone in MMA.

Any MMA fighter gets hit by Wlad Klitschko, they would taste the canvas.

Totally and completely delusional. I actually train, and every single boxer I've seen walk into the gym with a chip on his shoulder was completely humiliated. One guy was such a tool the owner pitted him against a girl just to embarrass him. She pulled guard and tapped him in less than 30 seconds. One of countless examples. Everyone who actually, you know, fights and trains and not posts from a desk chair in his dress shirt and tie will tell you the same.

And LOL at the multiple fighter angle. If you're fighting 4 guys, it doesn't matter what you're trained in. You're gonna lose.

The Jesus*

If you wanna learn striking, you take Muay Thai.

"Im going to go learn boxing. I wear big huge gloves that cover my entire face. I cant dirty box. I cant fight off the ground. I cant throw kicks, knees, or elbows. Surely I'll be ok against someone that has a much larger arsenal of weapons"

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

"Im going to go learn boxing. I wear big huge gloves that cover my entire face. I cant dirty box. I cant fight off the ground. I cant throw kicks, knees, or elbows. Surely I'll be ok against someone that has a much larger arsenal of weapons"

^^This I will agree with. I might start muay thai again, even if it cuts into my BJJ time. ****ing shin conditioning though. :laugh:

All I'm saying is that while Holm has a kickboxing background she switched to MMA has a boxer, and a damn good one at that. She obviously hasn't forgotten how to kick, but there's no way she's not going to bring her boxing knowledge into the cage. Greg Jackson is going to make her a complete MMA fighter, I look forward to seeing how her ground game and takedown defense looks next fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Based on the posts here, it seems like I'm one of the few who doesn't dislike Ronda. Can't say she didn't have it coming though. She got up in Holm's face and was talking trash at the weigh-ins, refused to touch gloves before the fight, and hit Holm with a late punch after the first round.

Crazy how Ronda basically predicted this when she was on Fallon's show. She knew what was coming but still got KO'd.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Partially disagree. I've known lots of muay thai fighters that picked up boxing for short periods to get better hands.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Based on the posts here, it seems like I'm one of the few who doesn't dislike Ronda. Can't say she didn't have it coming though. She got up in Holm's face and was talking trash at the weigh-ins, refused to touch gloves before the fight, and hit Holm with a late punch after the first round.

Crazy how Ronda basically predicted this when she was on Fallon's show. She knew what was coming but still got KO'd.

Nah I'm pretty much along your lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad