GDT: UFC 193: Rousey vs Holm

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
When you say "for one reason or another", who are you referring to? Sure we all wanted to see him fight Wand, Shogun, avenge his first loss to Rampage, and of course beat the piss out of Arona because he was so ****ing boring. But fighting anyone in PRIDE wasn't an option after winning the belt and I can't think of any legit contenders who weren't in the UFC or PRIDE at the time.

EDIT: Machida is the only one that comes to mind.

I'm referring to the fact that there are others out there Liddell didn't get the opportunity to fight, at the time where it made sense to fight them. The reasons aren't the same with Rousey, but I feel the same situation is happening with Cyborg not being in the organization, and Holm not being ready until now. It's kind of a poor example and hard to draw a parallel to anything. Maybe a more appropriate example would be Royce/Sakuraba.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
She was only on the way to becoming that because that's what the media was pimping her as.

As we can see the media was quite wrong. She's no where close to being what they proclaimed her to be. Beats up a ton of cans and then gets her ass demolished by her first legit test.

Just because the media and the UFC were trying to make her a once in a lifetime athlete doesn't mean she is...

That's how the sausage is made. No one becomes a superstar on talent alone, you have to combine talent in their chosen field with talent in the media. Media doesn't just start talking/writing about someone at random. They do it because that person captivates people and it gets viewers/readers/clicks. She was gaining a lot of popularity long before this "once in a lifetime athlete" thing started. And it's not even that far from the truth. Once in a lifetime female fighter would be accurate given how she singlehandedly took women's mma from the garbage bin to a stadium in Australia with massive mainstream interest. It's not athletic ability that did that and depending on how she responds to the loss, this won't stop her from becoming a generational superstar still. People love a redemption story and given how media savvy she is i think she'll play it well.

The Jesus*

In response to people mocking Ronda because her shadow boxing looked awful. She's obviously not at the level of Holly Holm, and not at the point where she's developed muscle memory and can instinctually use what she knows in the octagon. But her boxing isn't awful.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
He ducked Pacquiao in his prime. That's a b**** move in my books. It was the fight everyone in the world wanted to see, and he straight up refused to fight him until after he declined and started losing. He wanted no part of a prime Pacquiao.

One might argue pack wanted no part of Floyd either.

They were both being Pejorative Slurs

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
I've seen this mentioned numerous times. I guess it's casual fans saying this because anyone who follows the sport and knows anything about Ronda knows this is par for the course with her. She manufactures some reason to go off on Holm at the weigh-in so she can get into this huge childish rant. I'm glad she didn't touch gloves so the casuals could get a look at what she's really like.

My buddy is a perfect example. We were watching the fight at the bar, and he said he wasn't sure who he wanted to win before the fight started, but realized he was cheering for Ronda as it went along. He's a casual fan. I showed him a video of the weigh-in and his response was, "I hate her". Haha.

I don't know to what extent we can judge a fighter's personality based on their behaviors in weight-ins or pre-fight events/interviews. Some fighters like Lesnar, Koscheck, McGregor have acted like a-holes to create controversy and promote their fights. Some just act weirdly prior to their fight because of the agressive mindset they put themselves into for the fight, not to mention the constant mental pressure that champions go through for years. GSP is the perfect example of this, he's always been a great guy but srtarted acting weirdly towards the end because of this mental pressure. Of course we can all agree that Jon Jones is genuinely a d-bag based on his hit-and-run, but stirring **** during the weight-ins and not touching gloves like Rousey does isn't enough to justify the public lynching she's getting right now imo.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know to what extent we can judge a fighter's personality based on their behaviors in weight-ins or pre-fight events/interviews. Some fighters like Lesnar, Koscheck, McGregor have acted like a-holes to create controversy and promote their fights. Some just act weirdly prior to their fight because of the agressive mindset they put themselves into for the fight, not to mention the constant mental pressure that champions go through for years. GSP is the perfect example of this, he's always been a great guy but srtarted acting weirdly towards the end because of this mental pressure. Of course we can all agree that Jon Jones is genuinely a d-bag based on his hit-and-run, but stirring **** during the weight-ins and not touching gloves like Rousey does isn't enough to justify the public lynching she's getting right now imo.

It is since it wasn't the first time.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Watch her coaching season on TUF. She is exactly how she portrays herself all the time.

member 51464

This was a fun thread to revisit. Re-read if you need a pick me up, haha.

Crazy it was over two and a half years ago, and Ronda only ever fought one more time and got embarrassed again.

Do you all think Nunes will break Ronda's title defense streak?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Looking back to this fight, it's a good reminder that it's hard to predict when fighters will come out with a terrible gameplan and throw any analysis out the window. Rousey in this fight was obvious, but even last weekend where RDA decided to clinch up and stay close with Covington for 25 minutes when he needed to create distance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad