OT: UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks (20th Anniversary Show)

Betamax*

2d1uzv6.jpg

So, tonight's UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks in Vegas this November 16th, 2013 in Las Vegas marks the 20th Anniversary of the UFC since the promotion made its debut in Denver, Colorado back in 1993 in front of only 2,300 people.

references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_167

Date: Saturday, November 16, 2013
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: PPV

Main Card:
Welterweight Championship Bout: Georges St. Pierre vs Johny Hendricks
Light Heavyweight Bout: Rashad Evans vs Chael Sonnen
Welterweight Bout: Rory MacDonald vs Robbie Lawler
Welterweight Bout: Josh Koscheck vs Tyrone Woodley
Flyweight Bout: Tim Elliot vs Ali Bagautinov

For fans of the top Canadian MMA athletes, it's the biggest card of the year, given that both GSP and BC's own, Rory MacDonald are featured on the card, setting up a potential future Welterweight Championship match-up between training partners should they both win.

So, ~twenty years later, Do you follow (or care about) the sport of MMA and more specifically the UFC or is it still too violent for your tastes?

Betamax*

As a short Quebecois, go GSP.

I take it you're more of a casual fan and a large part of your interest in this sport is due largely in part because of the success of Canadians noticeably GSP and the 'Next One' in Rory Mac?

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
If there is one night where both GSP and Rory can lose, it's tonight.

Betamax*

If there is one night where both GSP and Rory can lose, it's tonight.

Yeah ... if either loses, it will likely be by KO. But I think both Canadians will win and that will set up an interesting scenario of training partners fighting against each other.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah ... if either loses, it will likely be by KO. But I think both Canadians will win and that will set up an interesting scenario of training partners fighting against each other.

Even if they both win they likely won't fight each other.

Betamax*

Even if they both win they likely won't fight each other.

Well, that's possible since GSP has been rumored to be considering retirement or maybe step up for a superfight against The Spider (especially if The Spider recaptures his belt). He apparently is against fighting/competing against people he considers "friends" ... does Rory Mac fall into that category?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hope Rory get KO'd .
Gsp wins by decision and then Rory vs Hendricks next year

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well, that's possible since GSP has been rumored to be considering retirement or maybe step up for a superfight against The Spider (especially if The Spider recaptures his belt). He apparently is against fighting/competing against people he considers "friends" ... does Rory Mac fall into that category?

Rory does, for sure.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually rooting against GSP tonight. I LOVE the guy, but I've been following Johny Hendricks since early in his career and it's been awesome watching him get to where he is now. I'll still be happy for GSP if he wins though (and he probably will).

Also cheering for Rory, Sonnen, and whoever Koscheck's fighting.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I root against gsp and rory now because they never finish fights, drives me nuts as a paying customer when I split shows with friends, the safe game they play in the octagon. They have the tools to finish fighters however. Gsp used to be one of the best finishers in the ufc. I still remember his breakout fight against trigg, took him down worked to take back control and submitted him, it was highly impressive.

If entertaining fights are primary importance to you like they are to me, you should cheer against them. 7 of his last 8 fights were won by decision. And i dont hate decisions, they can be exciting, but in this case its staying safe and riding out the clock while racking up points on judges cards. Rorys last fight was just awful to watch. Although watch because I said this they will have an exciting fight that they win.

Also if koscheck vs woodley is exciting i will also be shocked, sometimes i dont know if joe silva considers viewers when he makes these fights.

Last edited:

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Too bad Rory lost. It was,however, an amazing fight. When he came back at the end of the third with the take down and those elbows were impressive.

Last edited:

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Used to love MMA. Especially in the 90s with the early UFCs and Pride until it went under.

I find UFC to not be as entertaining anymore with their watered down cards (this one being an exception).

There isn't much mixed martial arts these days in UFC.

Virtually everyone fights the same style as it's mostly only strikers vs grapplers these days and the training has evolved so much from the early days. Can't really blame the fighters.

Can't stand Dana White.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Hendricks certainly was hurting GSP alot more than GSP was hurting him. That fourth round fall didn't help either.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I love GSP, but Hendricks won that fight. His strikes did way more damage, even if GSP did out hit him (and I'm not sure that is clear cut). Takedowns were about even, and Hendricks did more damage on top. Really can't see how they give it to GSP, unless it's that whole beating the champ conclusively thing, which is really starting to irritate me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad