Proposal: UFA or Trade for D-man

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you don't have long term fixes in your system then you need to trade for those and pay the price. UFA market is a terrible place to go for a long term fix.

Not every UFA gets hugely overpaid. Smith would have been a good long term fix. That ship has sailed. He got overpaid by a bit but not hugely.

If we can't get a real fix in the UFA market then we shouldn't be in it. Trade may not cost as much cap but the assets you have to lose up front can be excessive.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who has a long term LHD solution the Jets could garner easily?

Easily? No one. LV has some possibles but wants to keep them. That just means the price is a little higher. They want young assets like Dano. They want waiver exempt players like Petan. If not traded what value do they have? Why did we pay to keep them?

What does a stopgap accomplish? It isn't like one could be the difference between a first round exit and a cup. Not for the Jets this year.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Easily? No one. LV has some possibles but wants to keep them. That just means the price is a little higher. They want young assets like Dano. They want waiver exempt players like Petan. If not traded what value do they have? Why did we pay to keep them?

What does a stopgap accomplish? It isn't like one could be the difference between a first round exit and a cup. Not for the Jets this year.

Stop gaps improve the team, making them competitive.

Being competitive puts the Jets in a marginally less disadvantageous place for future acquisitions.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Enstrom's injury history:

PdYKiq8.png

One documented concussion.

I find it hilarious how Enstrom has gone from "hated no-good defender" to "beloved Winnipeg Jets icon for waiving NMC" to "good, but maybe only AHL good". Last year was Enstrom's first and only bad season. No one should be writing him off.

BTW, yesterday was the fourth anniversary of his most famous off-ice injury.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sweden-icehockey-nhl-idUSBRE95S0B120130629

I suspect it was upper body.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Both Enstrom and Myers are damaged goods, if you can get at least 40-60 games each out of them your doing pretty good, are these guys who you want to move forward with?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Who has a long term LHD solution the Jets could garner easily?

What do you think of Derek Forbort from LAK? 6'5 218 can skate, put up 18 pts in his first full season in the NHL. Not sure of the cost as far as trade acquisition goes, i assume LAK view him pretty good as they protected him inXD

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
What about taking a chance on DMITRY KULIKOV? He's only 25 and yes he's a Russian but he might be a huge or yuge upside! 6' 01" 205.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Both Enstrom and Myers are damaged goods, if you can get at least 40-60 games each out of them your doing pretty good, are these guys who you want to move forward with?

I would like to see enstrom and myers have far more rest days this year and never ever play back to back games. I would prefer to carry 8 defence this year.

jets must have the most injury prone defence in the league.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
What about taking a chance on DMITRY KULIKOV? He's only 25 and yes he's a Russian but he might be a huge or yuge upside! 6' 01" 205.

There was a healthy discussion on him in the Friedman 30 Thoughts thread. About 4-5 pages back from where it currently is it started.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

:laugh: I like how in his NHL career enstrom has only played less than 60 games in a season once... the lockout year.

Keep spitting vitriol though. Always entertaining ;)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
:laugh: I like how in his NHL career enstrom has only played less than 60 games in a season once... the lockout year.

Keep spitting vitriol though. Always entertaining ;)

Enstroms man games list has been way over scrutinized.

Mean games played for 2nd-3rd pair defenders (so removing call ups and press boxes) is about 60 games. Median about 70.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
11-12 = 20 games missed
12-13 = 26 games missed
13-14 = 0 games missed
14-15 = 22 games missed
15-16 = 10 games missed
16-17 = 22 games missed

Enstrom has missed a total of 100 games as a jet.

4 out 6 seasons he has missed 20+ games.

To say enstroms man games missed is nothing to worry about is ridiculous.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Enstroms man games list has been way over scrutinized.

Mean games played for 2nd-3rd pair defenders (so removing call ups and press boxes) is about 60 games. Median about 70.

Yeah, people tend to forget that when pushing their narrative :P.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
11-12 = 20 games missed
12-13 = 26 games missed
13-14 = 0 games missed
14-15 = 22 games missed
15-16 = 10 games missed
16-17 = 22 games missed

Enstrom has missed a total of 100 games as a jet.

4 out 6 seasons he has missed 20+ games.

To say enstroms man games missed is nothing to worry about is ridiculous.

So he's missed about 6.7 games per season more than the median average...

Who said nothing to worry about? My point was people overly worry about it and that the opportunity cost is not 82 game defender but likely a 70ish game defender.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
So he's missed about 6.7 games per season more than the median average...

Who said nothing to worry about? My point was people overly worry about it and that the opportunity cost is not 82 game defender but likely a 70ish game defender.

I'm curious as to why you used games played for 2nd-3rd pairing defenseman instead of using games missed for 1st pairing defenseman.

Also why use the median instead of mean.

I don't have the resources to look it up but I'm willing to bet it helps your argument that's why.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
At this point I'm just hoping we don't make a mistake on a contract that hurts us.

I'd rather they go the 5-6-7 type depth add (trying to push Chiarot and others down the depth chart). The reason being if they make a mistake it will hurt them less. A bad contract with term for a potential 4 add could be a disaster.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm curious as to why you used games played for 2nd-3rd pairing defenseman instead of using games missed for 1st pairing defenseman.

I don't have the resources to look it up but I'm willing to bet it helps your argument that's why.

Enström isn't statistically a 1st pairing D-man anymore.

The mean is more susceptible to outliers.

Would be my guess without checking with Garret. Doesn't seem like a grand conspiracy to paint Enström in a better light.:dunno:

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Mean is very much effected by players that miss a large portion of the season to injury.

Mean number of games played by Jets defencemen last season was 45. Median was 59.

It actually hurts Garret's argument. The mean games played by 2nd-3rd pairing defencemen is definitely lower than the median. Enstrom is likely well above the mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad