Value of: UFA John Carlson. Does he walk or Caps will lock him up?

Carlson will...

• Stay with WSH and get 6-7 AAV

• Stay with WSH and get 7-8 AAV

• Stay with WSH and get 8+ AAV

• Walk and get 6-7 AAV

• Walk and get 7-8 AAV

• Walk and get 8+ AAV

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Man, reading that quote by their GM along with other people's opinions of him trying to cash in at $8-9 mill per - :help:

I'd take him on the Leafs without thinking, him with Rielly would be glorious.

But definitely not at $7 mill + long term

I see the Caps re-signing him if they're able to budget right and get their other major piece in Wilson signed.

They have close to $12 mill in cap space free for next year, + potential cap increase not withstanding. Definitely doable for them, should be interesting to see how it plays out.

If he goes FA, be prepared for a bidding war among many teams. #1 RD, 50+ points :naughty:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think it's something like $1.25M in actual cash that's not covered by insurance on Bolland. Orpik's buyout is $3M, plus the cap hit.

Orpik + WSH 1st for Bolland's contract + MIN 2nd. Capitals save some cash and cap, and get some maneuvering room to fit Carlson. Coyotes jump 20 spots or so in the draft and get an affordable upgrade on Schenn.
Schenn isn’t a good fit and should be replaced but Orpik will be 38 years old when the season starts and is a LHD. I don’t know that he’s a replacement for Schenn. Maybe he’s an opportunity to upgrade a pick but I don’t see him as a roster asset.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think it's something like $1.25M in actual cash that's not covered by insurance on Bolland. Orpik's buyout is $3M, plus the cap hit.

Orpik + WSH 1st for Bolland's contract + MIN 2nd. Capitals save some cash and cap, and get some maneuvering room to fit Carlson. Coyotes jump 20 spots or so in the draft and get an affordable upgrade on Schenn.
Washington isn't paying a 1st to dump one year of Orpik. They wouldn't move a 1st at the TDL this year to upgrade their team

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Washington isn't paying a 1st to dump one year of Orpik. They wouldn't move a 1st at the TDL this year to upgrade their team
This is what I was thinking, a 2nd sure. A first is a lot of currency to give up for one year left on the contract. From a Canucks POV, I would take him on for a 2nd without a cap dump going back. We need to maximize draft picks since JB couldn't scrape up a 7th rounder in any trade at the TDL.

Has Orpik been really bad overall this year, or more just not worth his cap hit. Basically I would like to see the Canucks then retain 50% and flip him somewhere else for another pick. So to the Caps fans who have watched him all year, would he still be serviceable to someone at 2.25M?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
This is what I was thinking, a 2nd sure. A first is a lot of currency to give up for one year left on the contract. From a Canucks POV, I would take him on for a 2nd without a cap dump going back. We need to maximize draft picks since JB couldn't scrape up a 7th rounder in any trade at the TDL.

Has Orpik been really bad overall this year, or more just not worth his cap hit. Basically I would like to see the Canucks then retain 50% and flip him somewhere else for another pick. So to the Caps fans who have watched him all year, would he still be serviceable to someone at 2.25M?
He's -11 on a team that is +60 overall. He has the worst corsi on the team among regulars. He can't skate and he's become a very expensive pylon. why pray tell would anyone give up a pick for that, retained or otherwise?

The Caps can't afford to lose Carlson. They have 107k in cap space with Carlson, Kempny, Wilson and Grubauer to sign. Their expiring contracts counting Carlson are about 10 million

Last edited:

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
We should be all over him if we win Dahlin

Dahlin Carlson
Juolevi Tanev
Edler 4milliondollarwalkingtree

No way he signs for this crap team though

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
He's -11 on a team that is +60 overall. He has the worst corsi on the team among regulars. He can't skate and he's become a very expensive pylon. why pray tell would anyone give up a pick for that, retained or otherwise?

The Caps can't afford to lose Carlson. They have 107k in cap space with Carlson, Kempny, Wilson and Grubauer to sign. Their expiring contracts counting Carlson are about 10 million
Do you seriously have anything better to do other than go into every Caps trade thread and spew nonsense bud?

The Captials have $11,948,205 in cap space to use next year, not including the increase in salary cap space (projected to be around 3 million or more). That brings them to just about 15 million to use.

Hypothetically
Carlson - 8 million + Wilson - 3.5 million + Kempny 2.5 million = 14 million
That's without buying out or moving Orpik's last year of his deal. The salary cap will be tight, but it's doable and you apparently can't understand that

I even went high on Kempny who currently makes 900K. He might sign for less than 2.5 million

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Do you seriously have anything better to do other than go into every Caps trade thread and spew nonsense bud?

The Captials have $11,948,205 in cap space to use next year, not including the increase in salary cap space (projected to be around 3 million or more). That brings them to just about 15 million to use.

Hypothetically
Carlson - 8 million + Wilson - 3.5 million + Kempny 2.5 million = 14 million
That's without buying out or moving Orpik's last year of his deal. The salary cap will be tight, but it's doable and you apparently can't understand that

I even went high on Kempny who currently makes 900K. He might sign for less than 2.5 million
No you don't understand that. Your entire post is a LIE.

It's not like you can have a roster of only 15 players. Some of that nearly 12M must be used to fill out the roster. Are you carrying 5-7 league minimum players?
I doubt that. That's why you're desperate to trade orpik.

Fans aren't stupid they can read cap friendly and create a roster. So keep lying to yourself

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Does anyone really think, Carlson really going to stray for his home and the cozy Atlantic division?
Certainly Washington is in top contention, especially if they could rid themselves of Orpik. New Jersey, the Isles (especially if Tavares leaves), gee maybe even Boston.
I

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Please go away.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

It's not like you can have a roster of only 15 players. Some of that nearly 12M must be used to fill out the roster. Are you carrying 5-7 league minimum players?

Fans aren't stupid they can read cap friendly and create a roster. So keep lying to yourself
:huh:

Offseason - Armchair-GM - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Looks like I just created a cap compliant team

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

This might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Let's assume the Caps go into next season with the same roster they have now (which is Cap Compliant) substituting Beagle for Chandler Stephenson (~1M) couple that with the lowest projected increase in the Cap (3M). Now the Caps have 4M for Carlson's extension. Retaining only one of Kempny/Jerabek and allocating that Cap to an increase for the other. It's pretty straightforward unless you're, well...... you.

You can also factor in a modest extension for Wilson by not retaining Chiasson or Smith-Pelly. All this assumes the Caps make no other moves. It's likely a G will be traded. I don't understand how this is so difficult for you.

Last edited:

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Carlson being the highest paid at any point is hilarious.
I'm guessing Hedman will be a comparable in the salary negotiations which might actually help GMBM. Carlson should not be paid more than Hedman but the new Cap landscape all but assures Hedman will be underpaid relatively by the end of his deal and newfound capspace means FAs will make more than better players signed in past seasons, it's the nature of the thing.

Reactions: Iceman

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

That model leaves little room for any call-ups when injuries occur with that little cap space available. I suppose you could use the IR any time needed. Say Graubauer is trade for a pick for arguments sake, if someone is offering to take on Orpik and avoid having Orpik with any dead money on the books, plus him technically being on the books for a season longer than necessary then maybe you move Orpik with a pick to make that happen.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That model leaves little room for any call-ups when injuries occur with that little cap space available. I suppose you could use the IR any time needed. Say Graubauer is trade for a pick for arguments sake, if someone is offering to take on Orpik and avoid having Orpik with any dead money on the books, plus him technically being on the books for a season longer than necessary then maybe you move Orpik with a pick to make that happen.
The point I was making is that it is indeed possible despite what 72hockey guy constantly says. I even went higher on the cap hit on Kempny who gets a pretty generous raise.

The most ideal scenario is to trade Orpik to someone willing to take him and a pick/prospect that needs work back in return for a 3rd/4th liner and a late round pick. Similar to the Laich deal when we got back Winnik and a 5th I believe in exchange for Laich, Carrick and another pick

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

yes you did by not giving the 8 million that Carlson wants, by going with a totally inexperienced goalie, and having absolutely no room for even a single injury,

congratulations for proving my point.

i hope everyone looks at that roster you created, youre expecting to go injury free all season i guess

with that lineup you cant call up even a single player all season, like I said you dont know what youre talking about and you arent even givig Carlson the money he wants.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
yes you did by not giving the 8 million that Carlson wants, by going with a totally inexperienced goalie, and having absolutely no room for even a single injury,

congratulations for proving my point.

i hope everyone looks at that roster you created
Huh weird when did Holtby become an inexperienced goalie? Oh you mean Copley? The guy who I have told you in multiple threads now is the heir apparent to the backup job until Samsonov is ready.

Guess what else? Another team out in Western PA isn't afraid to give games to inexperienced goalies (see Matt Murray, Casey DeSmith, and Tristan Jarry).

I even game Kempny a more than generous raise from 900K t0 2.5 million AND that roster is with buyout out Orpik, not trading him.

I proved that I can create a cap compliant team with buying out Orpik, something that apparently couldn't be done in your eyes.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Huh weird when did Holtby become an inexperienced goalie? Oh you mean Copley? The guy who I have told you in multiple threads now is the heir apparent to the backup job until Samsonov is ready.

Guess what else? Another team out in Western PA isn't afraid to give games to inexperienced goalies (see Matt Murray, Casey DeSmith, and Tristan Jarry).

I even game Kempny a more than generous raise from 900K t0 2.5 million AND that roster is with buyout out Orpik, not trading him.

I proved that I can create a cap compliant team with buying out Orpik, something that apparently couldn't be done in your eyes.
youre counting on no injuries all season then Gotcha, and youre wrong...

look at your roster see if you can find its flaw and youre still not giving Carlson the money he wants.

heres a clue dodo " tell me the last time a team whent all season with just 7 defenseman or with just 22 players? especially since youve used 3o this season

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't see him sign under 8m ! he is a Norris candidate this years alote of teams gonna give him alote of $$$ Shattenkirk got 6.8 ! no way Carlsson sign 7m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad