OT: UFA Frenzy; Wheeling and Dealing Around the Rest of League

RedWingsNow*

Am I right in seeing that there might be caproom for Grabovski if we defer the 2M and trade/buyout some of the forwards? For example, Bert/Tootoo/Sammy make around 5M for a pair of them. And we have a little over 4M I think right now anyway. Once you resign the RFA's I think there'd still be at least 5M left over.

A couple things ---

Holland's 2-year-contracts are the death of this franchise.

All three guys he signed to two year contracts are basically nooses around this franchise's neck at the moment.

If the Wings sign another UFA, expect some toughness at forward. I know lots of people call Grabovski a warrior- but expect Cleary or someone along that line

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
A couple things ---

Holland's 2-year-contracts are the death of this franchise.

All three guys he signed to two year contracts are basically nooses around this franchise's neck at the moment.

If the Wings sign another UFA, expect some toughness at forward. I know lots of people call Grabovski a warrior- but expect Cleary or someone along that line

What?

RedWingsNow*

He's spending $3M, $2M and $2M (grand total of $7M) on three guys his coach has very little interest in

Almost 1/8th of the cap.

There are two major problems with our roster.

Not enough elite talent. And too many people

Spending $7M on three guys you don't want is the reason for that.

RedWingsNow*

2 year contracts: the death of the Red Wings.

You heard it here first.

$7M being spent on guys who coach didn't even want to use in the playoffs.

Defend that **** all you want.

It's a stark reminded of how bad a job Holland did last year.

Think about how much better our situation would have been last year -- and going into this year -- if instead of two year contracts to Bertuzzi, Sammy and Tootoo, we signed Semin.

1) you clear up the messy congestion
2) You get an elite player in your top six -- Franzen-Zetterberg one line, Datsyuk-Semin on the other.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He's spending $3M, $2M and $2M (grand total of $7M) on three guys his coach has very little interest in

Almost 1/8th of the cap.

There are two major problems with our roster.

Not enough elite talent. And too many people

Spending $7M on three guys you don't want is the reason for that.

I realize that, but death of the franchise? Come on.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Death of the franchise's success

Forever? For last season? Until those contracts are off the books? I think last year was glaring of how much he screwed up, but we could use hindsight on every single set of moves in every offseason to make it better.

All things considered we had a successful last season in terms of getting exposure to players that will hopefully carry the torch for years. How that happened can be debated, but it happened.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
$7M being spent on guys who coach didn't even want to use in the playoffs.

Defend that **** all you want.

It's a stark reminded of how bad a job Holland did last year.

Think about how much better our situation would have been last year -- and going into this year -- if instead of two year contracts to Bertuzzi, Sammy and Tootoo, we signed Semin.

1) you clear up the messy congestion
2) You get an elite player in your top six -- Franzen-Zetterberg one line, Datsyuk-Semin on the other.

Yeah, because the Wings have been injury-free for the past couple years. You manage your salary cap with NHL players who can step in and play when the need arises.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, because the Wings have been injury-free for the past couple years. You manage your salary cap with NHL players who can step in and play when the need arises.

The amount of forwards we have and have had the last 2-3 years is absolutely overkill. And show's how over-cautious they were about trusting their prospects to play in any capacity.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The amount of forwards we have and have had the last 2-3 years is absolutely overkill. And show's how over-cautious they were about trusting their prospects to play in any capacity.

yeah that's really what it all comes down to,trust

Holland raves about the prospect pool but when it gets right down to it he seems deathly afraid of giving them much of a role even in the case of injuries

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
the Wings only have $2.3m right now,that's already not counting the bonuses

it will take probably $5mish for the RFAs

Are you sure? I'm seeing 2.3M, but CapGeek lists Alfredsson as 5.5M. Seems like they're not deferring the bonus to next year in that.

In my dream world, we buyout Sammy, find a way to trade Bert, Eaves, Emmerton.

Sign Nyquist for 2M, Andersson for 1.5, Smith for 2M, have 4.3M left (+2 if my intuition about the bonuses and CapGeek are correct).

Which I think might be enough to land Grabovski. He's getting buyout money, he'd be coming to a contender, especially if he joins, and he'd be playing with a good friend.

Edit: never mind. I see it now. Too bad :(

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
They are still in on Cleary and Morrow so obviously there us space to be made. Just doesn't seem like they are interested in Grabo. Guess that could change if both Cleary and Morrow go elsewhere.

RedWingsNow*

Your sarcasm is appreciated:laugh:
We've got 16 guys on our roster.
Maybe 17 if Cleary or Morrow come aboard.

Once we get down to 14 again...
even we have 3 guys out all year...
All you do is call up Ferraro, or Sheahan or Jarnkrok, or Jurco or Glendening or whatever.

If we lose a Datsyuk or Zetterberg -- well, we lose them.

But anyone else can be replaced.

The one concern I have is defense... where maybe a Jensen or Marchenko or Almquist could play. We're two injuries away from a really ugly defense.

RedWingsNow*

Forever? For last season? Until those contracts are off the books? I think last year was glaring of how much he screwed up, but we could use hindsight on every single set of moves in every offseason to make it better.

All things considered we had a successful last season in terms of getting exposure to players that will hopefully carry the torch for years. How that happened can be debated, but it happened.

For the Datsyuk-Zetterberg era.

We've wasted the last 4 years with two-year deals to Homer, Bert, Sammy, Tootoo, the 5 year deal to cleary and the trade for Quincey and subsequent $4M a year contract -- which Jonathan Ericsson is probably going to use to **** Kenny Holland with.

RedWingsNow*

Too add -- talk about hindsight all you want.

Some of us have been talking about the stupidity of two-year deals and overpriced middle-of-the-road players since the advent of the cap

It's foresight, not hindsight

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Your sarcasm is appreciated:laugh:
We've got 16 guys on our roster.
Maybe 17 if Cleary or Morrow come aboard.

Once we get down to 14 again...
even we have 3 guys out all year...
All you do is call up Ferraro, or Sheahan or Jarnkrok, or Jurco or Glendening or whatever.

If we lose a Datsyuk or Zetterberg -- well, we lose them.

But anyone else can be replaced.

The one concern I have is defense... where maybe a Jensen or Marchenko or Almquist could play. We're two injuries away from a really ugly defense.

I think 1 of Jensen/Marchenko could handle a bottom-pairing role for a stretch of time.

1 of them could even take that role and run with it, like a bunch of our prospects did last year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They are still in on Cleary and Morrow so obviously there us space to be made. Just doesn't seem like they are interested in Grabo. Guess that could change if both Cleary and Morrow go elsewhere.

Yeah, they obviously have a plan to dump players if those two are still even being discussed.

Big trade in works or boring waivers?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's still boggles the mind why Sammy got a 2 year deal with a NTC. Sure would be nice if him, Bert and Tootoo were off the books this year.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah, they obviously have a plan to dump players if those two are still even being discussed.

Big trade in works or boring waivers?

A big trade would bring back salary. Think we are looking at small trades for picks/middling prospect or the lucrative player to be named later. Unless of course Holland can fInd a top 2 defenseman available. I don't see any out there at this point.

RedWingsNow*

I think 1 of Jensen/Marchenko could handle a bottom-pairing role for a stretch of time.

1 of them could even take that role and run with it, like a bunch of our prospects did last year.

Possible.
Especially if say, Jensen or Marchenko replaces an injured Smith or Kindl or Dekeyser.

But if Ericsson or Kronwall is hurt, having a D with say, Kindl-Ericsson/Quincey-Smith/Dekeyser-Jensen ... could be dicey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad