UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds 2022-23

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Benfica doing a solid job with taking a 2-0 lead via Gonzalo Ramos late in the first half. Crvena Cvezda also go ahead around same time in Israel.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Haifa dominated that first twenty minutes, but once Red Star scored a deflection way against the run of play, they’ve really lost it.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Haifa-Red Star was a great match. Tons of action, great energy to the stadium. Big away match in Belgrade, it'll be tough.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lucescu's kids (seriously, some of the subs looked like schoolboys) made it tighter in the second half, and had some nice chances, but if Benfica find a way to lose this tie it will be epic, I just don't see it happening.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Benfica with a pretty workmanlike performance, far from their best and Rafa was awful.

Still requires more squad depth. Florentino finally showing signs of growing into the midfielder he was heralded to potentially be a few years ago. Enzo Fernandez is a superb signing, and Ramos despite missing the last 2 days of practice did his job. Still need Verrsimo to return at the same level to really strengthen the backline after his ACL injury.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Benfica with a pretty workmanlike performance, far from their best and Rafa was awful.

Still requires more squad depth. Florentino finally showing signs of growing into the midfielder he was heralded to potentially be a few years ago. Enzo Fernandez is a superb signing, and Ramos despite missing the last 2 days of practice did his job. Still need Verrsimo to return at the same level to really strengthen the backline after his ACL injury.
He’s looked jittery early on with uncharacteristic loose passes but settled after. I wonder is it the plan to have hun playing as a DM? Seems like such a waste to his passing vision and eye for goal.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
He’s looked jittery early on with uncharacteristic loose passes but settled after. I wonder is it the plan to have hun playing as a DM? Seems like such a waste to his passing vision and eye for goal.
He's been playing CM, and has been generally fantastic. Yesterday was probably his most understated performance. Florentino is the DM.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Looking at how big the UEFA is... I always forget until I look at a map and the winners of the champions league...
This map doesnt have the # of championships... oh well... still cool.
I was walking around thinking the other day and I thought... since the usa is basically just people from europe and around the world.... why the hell do we not have football clubs all over the place.
Why hasn't some rich arsehole started a USFA where each decently populated geographic area has an organized club that plays smaller local games with organized play-ins and play-offs and on and on etc etc...
Give the kids another outlet to make it as an athlete and find some more talent and keep active (or the real concern, profitability).
Maybe I'm just dreaming...... and rambling over my coffee.
Came here to say I'm saving the Benfica match for last, watching Qarabag -v- plzen now... decent so far... chance here and there.
uefamap.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Leg two is tomorrow and wednesday for champions league... can't wait for the rangers game.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Borjan first saved a penalty at the start of 1st half added time, but then seconds later let in a 30m long range shot, Crvena Zvezda are still held 4-4 on agg against Maccabi Haifa.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
C.Z crashed out of CL after poor 2nd half culminating in calamitous own goal in the last minute of regular time.

It was the same guy (Pavkov), whose two goals drowned Liverpool in the 18/19 CL.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What an absolute heart breaker for red star. Not one, but TWO absolute unnecessary goals conceded.
One by a goalkeeper who was caught sleeping on a long shot after the high of making a penalty save and the irony of a CF substitute sent out to win... deflect the FK past your keeper who was easily going to make the save. AND Milovich (sp?) sending it over the cage on an open net in extra time.

ooooooooof

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Over the two legs, Haifa fully deserved to advance. Yes, those two goals were soft, but they were full value for the 2-2 at home and dominated the second half in Belgrade. Only they looked like scoring the deciding goal before the OG.

They have some interesting players that will have an opportunity on the CL stage: Dolev Haziza was the star of the tie against Red Star, Ali Mohamed may be the next African export out of the Israeli league, and Muhammad Abu Fani had already been looked at by Celtic among others.

Also their manager, Barak Bachar is far and away the best Israeli manager. I could see him earning an opportunity in Europe.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Colak puts Rangers ahead after an hour. Tillman robbed the ball from PSV defender Ramalho and passed it to Colak for an empty netter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad