Euro: UEFA bans Man City for 2 CL seasons

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I do think there should be some rules in place to make sure owners don’t leave a club devastated or a league basically defunct after they tire of their new toy.

Generally, I enjoy salary capped sports, as it makes the playing field at least somewhat closer to fair. It’s more fun when I know more than two or three teams have a real shot. However, they do exploit the labor in the situation and I’m not for that. but I don’t have a problem with owners spending what they can or want.

At some point, I think the traditional powers will finally get their elite league and they will make the barriers to entry high enough to where they can limit outside influence when they don’t get a cut (which is the central problem for most). Though rationally, the outside money helps the club values even if they’re slightly artificial and probably prone to a market correction at some near stage.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Point is that those are the same 8/10 teams who set the market. And they set it sky high.
That's why the system either needs to be setup to add as many of those teams to the table as possible or to limit the spending and share the revenue to balance things out.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it’s worth, barriers to entry and controlling the system are partially how we got to having clubs like they are. It’s not surprising that the traditional powers would want to continue that. Sports aren’t a free market, and it makes sense that some will want to keep it from that.

I do think that there is something to be said about keeping some structure. If transfers can be so inflated that only two or three teams can pay them, many clubs will eventually go broke. The spiral of not having talent being related to poor performance and then lessened revenue is a reality. City are valuable partially because of who they play and what league they’re in. If the other top clubs in England can’t compete, at some point, they’re going to kill the golden goose. Though we are obviously a ways away.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It was always a very spurious claim at the time. I said as much. They did what all the big teams have been doing for years. I didn't know why this situation would be so much different. People here, fans of all the big Premier League teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid, other big teams, told me that I was wrong and City clearly violated FFP in a fashion that other teams didn't, and of course their ban would be upheld. I guess we can now say that CAS was bought off by Man City's Oil Money. That could be the only explanation.

I think we all know that FFP is a mythical construct. It's there to deter, not to stop. It might make teams slightly hesitate, but all the big teams know that they make the rules. If they want to spend 500M without bringing in that revenue, they can do so. Once they do so, another team will see that they got away with it, and do the same thing.

Most people like the status quo in football. They approve of teams spending as much as possible. Fans around the world aren't fans of Getafe or Crystal Palace. They are fans of Real Madrid or Man United. Football fans don't care that within 10 years we'll be seeing players go for transfer fees that are half a billion dollars. The rich will continue to get richer. Some of the owners of these smaller teams that compete in the same leagues as these teams aren't even worth half a billion by themselves, yet Real, Barca, PSG, Man City, Man United will be spending that amount of money on one transfer fee. Watch. It's coming.

I've advocated that I'd like to see a salary cap or at least some modified salary cap because I think the prices are becoming way out of proportion to the value players are bringing. But UEFA and FIFA have no real reason to change anything. Maybe UEFA will get some impetus for that after their embarrassment of losing this ruling, but even thats unlikely. The power in football is concentrated in the hands of the top teams because the big footballing bodies don't want to rock the boat. They don't want to enforce anything, so the power vacuum is filled by the top teams running the sport. They've been getting richer and richer. They are allowed to do anything they want.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It was always a very spurious claim at the time. I said as much. They did what all the big teams have been doing for years. I didn't know why this situation would be so much different. People here, fans of all the big Premier League teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid, other big teams, told me that I was wrong and City clearly violated FFP in a fashion that other teams didn't, and of course their ban would be upheld. I guess we can now say that CAS was bought off by Man City's Oil Money. That could be the only explanation.
The CAS ruling clearly says they violated FFP like was said, but they reduced their punishment due to timing. I don't think anyone saw something that ridiculous coming, even if you thought they would get off.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Where was the uproar from liverpool tapping up players lol.
Tapping up players have been doing by all clubs at any level.

The fact it got so big is because it was reported to the media. And Southampton felt outraged to get raid all their players by the same team.

Just look at Sancho and United or even Havertz and Chelsea.

Very few teams will agree a fee with another without knowing if there is interest from the player to join them.

That being said, I would have accepted punishment to Liverpool if the same punishment for tapping up would be inforced to all teams at all time.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There’s a vast difference between talking to players who are contracted to another club and hiding evidence of payments to skirt FFP rules.

Tapping up rules are deliberately vague. Zidane can call his countryman Mbappe and have a chat and that doesn’t make it tapping up, even if that’s what it more or less is. Heck, even saying, you know this is how you’d fit in what we would like to do isn’t a clear violation. Let’s also not pretend that it isn’t being done by every club with any ambition.

But if they clearly got caught violating EPL rules, they would deserve punishment.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, I knew they would get out of most of the punishments. I figured they might have a year off (most likely suspended), or maybe a larger fine or even cutting their revenue from CL. But what they got was a complete joke. That’s the compliant I have. Why have the rules if that’s what the result will be?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Note, I knew they would get out of most of the punishments. I figured they might have a year off (most likely suspended), or maybe a larger fine or even cutting their revenue from CL. But what they got was a complete joke. That’s the compliant I have. Why have the rules if that’s what the result will be?
I do believe something in the background will happen. I am pretty sure many teams are clearly unhappy with that decision and the fondation of FFP as we know are shaken and will not stay long term.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do believe something in the background will happen. I am pretty sure many teams are clearly unhappy with that decision and the fondation of FFP as we know are shaken and will not stay long term.
What teams are actually unhappy? It's like mom and pop shops being upset with big corporations like Wal-Mart or Amazon. The small clubs that are upset have no power and the big clubs have no problem with the status quo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

The fact it got so big is because it was reported to the media. And Southampton felt outraged to get raid all their players by the same team.

Very few teams will agree a fee with another without knowing if there is interest from the player to join them.

That being said, I would have accepted punishment to Liverpool if the same punishment for tapping up would be inforced to all teams at all time.
Yup tapping up happens all the time... Liverpool not unlike city got caught for breaking rules but neither got punished. Whether or not one rule is greater than the other is irrelevant both were free.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What teams are actually unhappy? It's like mom and pop shops being upset with big corporations like Wal-Mart or Amazon. That small clubs that are upset have no power and the big clubs have no problem with the status quo.

The only thing that could really happen is the FA punishing City domestically. CAS has far less influence on what the FA can do to City than does UEFA.

Granted, I doubt the FA is really gonna go hard after City with CAS basically letting them off the hook for everything.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The only thing that could really happen is the FA punishing City domestically. CAS has far less influence on what the FA can do to City than does UEFA.

Granted, I doubt the FA is really gonna go hard after City with CAS basically letting them off the hook for everything.

Make them play the full Carabao Cup schedule for 5 seasons. Even if they lose they move on. Each round winner plays them.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Good it would’ve been outrageous to have banned them. The people who dislike this are mainly rival fans and teams of historically successful teams. Those same fans probably approve the UEFA Champions Cup idea or whatever it was and think the current CL format is good.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
City was literally caught paying themselves through a "sponsor". It has nothing to do with the value of the sponsorship and everything to do with it just being a cash injection by their owner that they were hiding to specifically bypass FFP.
Nah, what they were trialed for is that the "sponsor" gave outrageous numbers.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

But it's against the rules and some people here argue (and have every right to do so) that they're "pro-rules".

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Not true.
I'd you're old enough, you'll remember the Galacticos era. Summer after summer, Perez blew the market by setting a new record. Italian teams blew tons of cash as well.

Memories of the property deal Perez cut with Madrid's council that both wiped Real's huge debt and gifted them a healthy surplus to pursue a spending spree.

To say nothing of Milan breaking the world record transfer fee twice in the summer of 1992 - first to sign Papin to sit in reserve in case Van Basten's body gave out (it did), then to sign Lentini mainly to prevent any of their rivals laying hands on him.

Reactions: SSF

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Memories of the property deal Perez cut with Madrid's council that both wiped Real's huge debt and gifted them a healthy surplus to pursue a spending spree.
Indeed, which was blatant cheating.

To say nothing of Milan breaking the world record transfer fee twice in the summer of 1992 - first to sign Papin to sit in reserve in case Van Basten's body gave out (it did), then to sign Lentini mainly to prevent any of their rivals laying hands on him.
Yup.

Those teams now are of course arms in air to point out the record fees from other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad