Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
What The Fuck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This keeps getting dumber and dumber. At what point do you get rid of conferences and create a super league? You'd have to think the "NCFL" would get a stronger TV package than all the major conferences fragmented on their own.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This would utterly gut out the underpinnings of the Pac 12 if true. Just an utterly shocking move against what many had assumed to be one of the safe conferences and a huge power play move by the Big Ten.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
This keeps getting dumber and dumber. At what point do you get rid of conferences and create a super league? You'd have to think the "NCFL" would get a stronger TV package than all the major conferences fragmented on their own.
Imagine the Big 10 and SEC playing every year for the championship… at the Rose Bowl. I suspect you’re quite right and Texas and Oklahoma’s move was the first shot at that.

I do kind of wonder if USC waited for TV negotiation bids and then made the call. It absolutely stands to reason that Pac-12 schools weren’t going to compete with the big 2 based on what they were likely being offered.

It’s probable that the Big 10 and Big 12 will divide remaining members. I could throw in a couple wildcards…

Stanford and Cal say “F this” and try to form a West Coast Ivy League.

Oregon and some cohorts decide to remove the last vestiges of amateurism and create something more professional. Maybe that peels off a few schools.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
As a casual college football fan, I love this. USC/Michigan, USC/Ohio St, etc are much more likely to grab by attention than USC/some boring PAC 12 team that kicksoffs at 10:45PM.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
The Super Conference writing has been on the wall for a few years now. It just wasn't clear where the dominoes would fall until Texas and Oklahoma initiated the nuclear launch codes.

This is only going to get crazier... the fans in Europe early rioted over the discussion of a Football/Super League across the pond. American University presidents and ADs just took notes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Super Conference writing has been on the wall for a few years now. It just wasn't clear where the dominoes would fall until Texas and Oklahoma initiated the nuclear launch codes.

This is only going to get crazier... the fans in Europe early rioted over the discussion of a Football/Super League across the pond. American University presidents and ADs just took notes.
That’s true. Again, it would have made more sense for the big schools to combine into a big new conference rather than take smaller schools in their current conference.

Imagine Texas, USC, Ucla, ND, OSU, Michigan, PSU, Oregon, Wash, combined into a super conference. Along with a few more schools to round out the 12 schools.

Reactions: Spydey629

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This would utterly gut out the underpinnings of the Pac 12 if true. Just an utterly shocking move against what many had assumed to be one of the safe conferences and a huge power play move by the Big Ten.
Who assumed that? Their TV situation has been a disaster for years, the writing was on the wall.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
College conferences are getting stupid. Cross-country conference members, yeah what could go wrong here?

It won't happen right away but the NCAA is headed for a big-time collapse.

Reactions: DaveG

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
College conferences are getting stupid. Cross-country conference members, yeah what could go wrong here?

It won't happen right away but the NCAA is headed for a big-time collapse.
The NCAA itself is already worthless. Outside of running the basketball tournament, they serve no purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad