UBS Arena: Lower the Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Marshall: Inside the Islanders' new Belmont Arena

October 9, 2020 2:40 PM (EDT)

Even before Friday’s "topping off" ceremony — where the last steel beam was raised — Oak View Group chief executive Tim Leiweke, a partner in Belmont Park’s redevelopment, has been pushing to make the project a symbol and a sign of Long Island’s comeback...

Leiweke is hoping to have the arena ready to go by November 2021, he said, noting that it remains on schedule despite the work stoppage during the height of the coronavirus pandemic. And the new Long Island Rail Road station at the site is on schedule, too, he added...

The redevelopment at Belmont Park is a joint venture between Oak View, the New York Islanders, and Sterling Project Development, the real estate group controlled by the Wilpon family...

And among those partners, the $1 billion arena is "fully funded," Leiweke told the LIA, noting that Oak View has put in $250 million in equity into the project, and the debt it needed to secure is "locked down."...

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Is Brian good at math? Did he put decimal point in the wrong place? 25000 sf is more than half an acre. A sheet of ice is only like 17000 sf.
was gonna say, their locker room is the size of a mcmansion.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I hope the new arena doesn't have high railings like Barclays had. The first few times I went there I thought I had a good seat only to be blocked by a railing. Based on everything I see at work though, ridiculous safety rules are the new trend. What happened to the good old days when we let the morons fall by the wayside.

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I hope the new arena doesn't have high railings like Barclays had. The first few times I went there I thought I had a good seat only to be blocked by a railing. Based on everything I see at work though, ridiculous safety rules are the new trend. What happened to the good old days when we let the morons fall by the wayside.
Lawyers happened.

Reactions: sabremike

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I would like to propose the Isles do a jersey upgrade program for year 1 of Belmont. Of course it will have some commemorative patch on the current jersey. It would be great for them to do a promo to upgrade/exchange, etc. of all pumpkin and black lettered jerseys to get rid of them from the population.

Reactions: Strummergas

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I would like to propose the Isles do a jersey upgrade program for year 1 of Belmont. Of course it will have some commemorative patch on the current jersey. It would be great for them to do a promo to upgrade/exchange, etc. of all pumpkin and black lettered jerseys to get rid of them from the population.

Love this idea. Would be nice if they added the shitty Fisherman garb to that list, but seeing as they're actively marketing that garbage look, there's no way that would happen.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Lawyers happened.
No lie: several years back at a game in the Coliseum there was a guy sitting right in front of me bragging that he was the lawyer behind the case that forced them to add rails in all the aisles.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Love this idea. Would be nice if they added the shitty Fisherman garb to that list, but seeing as they're actively marketing that garbage look, there's no way that would happen.
That one was comically bad. It has some appeal in an odd way. It is what it is. The pumpkin and black lettered - someone actually thought those were a good idea based on whatever choices were presented to them at that time. They should just fade into the background to be unseen.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

They can do something with that Lighthouse logo though - I don't mind that at all.

Reactions: leeroggy

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
IMO a good transitional logo from the old regime to the new Belmont regime would be a fire-breathing racehorse with dragon wings and a fisherman jockey, flying around a lighthouse while being chased by a police helicopter.

Does anyone have Ledecky's email address so I can pass this idea along to him?

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I too, am a big fan of Darwin.

Reactions: Quickdraw2828

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
IMO a good transitional logo from the old regime to the new Belmont regime would be a fire-breathing racehorse with dragon wings and a fisherman jockey, flying around a lighthouse while being chased by a police helicopter.

How about a headless fisherman riding on the horse?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

How about a headless fisherman riding on the horse?

Swap in a seahorse instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad