GDT: U18s - CAN/USA @ 7:30AM, RUS/SWE @ 11:30 AM

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Any thoughts from those watching the U.S. Sweden game?
I've flipped back and forth, mostly watching USA game. Caufield is the best player on the ice. Hughes has been pretty unnoticeable, no points so far in a 5-1 game. Cam York is very impressive, he has a bit of Quinn Hughes in him. Great skating and puck movement. Boldy to me is a guy who needs a driver on his line, he's always on the perimeter and Caufield has been that guy for him. Caufield is just constantly getting chances, it's amazing how he always seems to open up. Don't have much to say about Turcotte so far.

From the Swedes I think Soderstrom has stood out more than Broberg, he looks solid.

EDIT - And just as I say that, Turcotte picks up a goal from Hughes.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I've flipped back and forth, mostly watching USA game. Caufield is the best player on the ice. Hughes has been pretty unnoticeable, no points so far in a 5-1 game. Cam York is very impressive, he has a bit of Quinn Hughes in him. Great skating and puck movement. Boldy to me is a guy who needs a driver on his line, he's always on the perimeter and Caufield has been that guy for him. Caufield is just constantly getting chances, it's amazing how he always seems to open up. Don't have much to say about Turcotte so far.

From the Swedes I think Soderstrom has stood out more than Broberg, he looks solid.
Interesting, thanks.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's interesting that Cozens is on RW and Krebs playing C. I figured Krebs was a natural winger and Cozens a natural center. Krebs definitely made me feel more comfortable in taking him from what I saw of the Canada game. Cozens had his moments too though. You can definitely see the hockey sense in Krebs.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I thought Caufield would be the perfect pick for us if Dach was taken because we’ve always lacked righties, hell of a game from him. Boldy was good too. The Swedes were unraveling near the end, the hit on Turcotte was so dirty lol.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
As aforementioned in another post, I'd be very happy to see us pick Caufield or Tomasino, they tick a number of boxes for us. Great first game by Caufield today.

Reactions: KYams17

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't think I would be mad if we picked Caufield tbh. We could definitely use a pure goalscorer with a wicked shot and his size doesn't really concern me because he is a great skater quick and shifty.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Huh? Are you sure you were watching the same players?

I'm not saying they do, but that was the sentiment in their draft year

Albeit, some fans round here for sure wanted Matt Tkachuk cuz he goes to the net, but that's all he was credited for. Brady was a huge dropper in his draft leading up to it
Scheiffle, even at the worlds w/ McD, fans were screaming to get him off McD's line as he wasn't smart enough to be worthy

Point is every year people blast players for having low IQ, and in the end...they don't. Cozens will definately be one of those players that proves ppl wrong imo

Also..Caufield??? Please o please DO NOT let the Oil reach w/ the 8th pick on a what is going to be the smallest player in the NHL. Kid has skill no doubt, but there is alot of Debrincat envy/regret going on here making him a favorite suddenly

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not saying they do, but that was the sentiment in their draft year

Albeit, some fans round here for sure wanted Matt Tkachuk cuz he goes to the net, but that's all he was credited for. Brady was a huge dropper in his draft leading up to it
Scheiffle, even at the worlds w/ McD, fans were screaming to get him off McD's line as he wasn't smart enough to be worthy

Point is every year people blast players for having low IQ, and in the end...they don't. Cozens will definately be one of those players that proves ppl wrong imo

Also..Caufield??? Please o please DO NOT let the Oil reach w/ the 8th pick on a what is going to be the smallest player in the NHL. Kid has skill no doubt, but there is alot of Debrincat envy/regret going on here making him a favorite suddenly
I don't know where these Tkachuk reports are coming from, but they were always considered high IQ prospects going into their draft and that is why they were ranked so high despite average to below average skating.

As for Caufield, I don't think he's as much of a reach at 8 as you think he is and I think his ranking is going to rise after the U18's. While maybe Debrincat is the reason for some people leaning towards him, it certainly isn't for me. I lean towards him because he is the best goalscorer in this draft. Better than Hughes. Better than Kakko. Yeah he is small, but he is a great skater in all regards which for me negates concerns of his size. He's fast, he's explosive, and he's very shifty. He is exactly the type of player we should be considering if some of the other big names are gone at 8. We need more guys who can put the puck in the net because its something we severely lack in our depth chart and within our forward prospect pool. We have a lot of good playmakers both on the NHL roster and in the system, but we really only have two great goal scorers in McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: Zaddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad