Prospect Info: U18 WJC

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Growing pains are totally fine. We're anxious for them. It would mean we're finally playing the kids.

What we're tired of is arthritic pains from over the hill vets like Nielsen, Abdelkader, Fillpula and guys like that.

Yeah I dont disagree. I'm just saying adding young guys doesnt automatically mean the team is gonna trend up and out of the Wright sweepstakes at all. They should be right there with anyone.

What teams are we comfortable saying the wings will for sure end up higher than in the standings next year? I would definitely bet on Buffalo and New Jersey trending up due to young guys before Detroit does

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Finally i saw a full game from Edvinsson and i think he is one of the top names in Detroit's draft list. Looks like a prototypical Yzerman-defenseman, size, reach, mobility. I wouldn't be surprised to see if Detroit goes 3 Swedes again with first three picks. Edvinsson, Robertsson, Strömgren.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
What a game that gold medal one was. Michkov scored his 12 goal and added 2 assists and Bedard scored with an amazing backhander. These kids look like absolute studs
Wright has a great game adding 2 goals he is going to be a really good player but Bedard and Michkov look like Crosby/Ovechkin level guys.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yeah I dont disagree. I'm just saying adding young guys doesnt automatically mean the team is gonna trend up and out of the Wright sweepstakes at all. They should be right there with anyone.

What teams are we comfortable saying the wings will for sure end up higher than in the standings next year? I would definitely bet on Buffalo and New Jersey trending up due to young guys before Detroit does

How is Buffalo going to be better if they trade Eichel away? Seriously they were the worst team in the league with him how could they possibly be better without him? I don't see Buffalo being better than Detroit next year regardless of who they get in the 2021 draft.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Kinda f/u 3 best forwards 16,17,15 year olds. Next 2 draft teams going to tank

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
How is Buffalo going to be better if they trade Eichel away? Seriously they were the worst team in the league with him how could they possibly be better without him? I don't see Buffalo being better than Detroit next year regardless of who they get in the 2021 draft.
Keep Bergreen in GR will help.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Got to watch the gold medal game last night...based on that one game:
Bedard looks like a whole other level of prospect than Wright.
Wasn't super impressed with Brandt Clarke. Nolan Allen made a lot of good plays early in the game. Could be a good guy to target a bit later

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont remember the last time a player of Eichels calibre was traded, especially with the amount of term on his contract. I'll believe the Sabres are Eichelless when it happens and reevaluate the standings if it does.

As of right now, theyre rolling with Eichel and Dahlin which is way more talent than Detroit has.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
what are the odds that this is the year we finally get lucky and win the lottery? ok, ok, of course i'd like the no1 pick, but given lafreniere last year and wright, bedard and michkov in the next two years, it would be typical red wings to get no1 in a year where really, there is no consensus top pick, no projected franchise player superstars, etc.....and then to be picking at no 8, 9 in the next two years.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I dont remember the last time a player of Eichels calibre was traded, especially with the amount of term on his contract. I'll believe the Sabres are Eichelless when it happens and reevaluate the standings if it does.

As of right now, theyre rolling with Eichel and Dahlin which is way more talent than Detroit has.

Joe Thornton in 05-06. That was monumental.

Trades that were close that I can think of: Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. Seguin to the stars. Karlsson to the Sharks. Subban for Weber. Hall for Larson. Johansen for Jones.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I thought Guenther was a little on the quiet side this tournament. He obviously has a great set of tools, but I thought he would have a more consistent impact on the game and be around the puck a bit more. He kind of got lost in the shuffle a bit (and not just last night). I think I watched four Canada games and I am not sure he was the best player on the ice in any one game (though he may have had a hatty in another).

Strange week for him, but shouldn't impact his draft stock too much

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Got to watch the gold medal game last night...based on that one game:
Bedard looks like a whole other level of prospect than Wright.
Wasn't super impressed with Brandt Clarke. Nolan Allen made a lot of good plays early in the game. Could be a good guy to target a bit later

Hmmm, I watched the whole tourny (well all of Canada's games) and I was actually impressed with Clarke. His skating concerns are blown out of proportion in my opinion. He's not the smoothest guy on the ice, and no, he doesn't skate like Quinn Hughes or Heiskanen or Makar, but his skating is fine, it just doesn't look super smooth.

In terms of his overall game, I like him as a prospect. I don't think it is the right fit for us, I just think our RHD depth is solid at the moment, and there will be other players in our range (Edvinsson, Hughes, Johnson, Beniers?) that I would prefer. He clearly oozes hockey sense, he just makes the right play most of the time. Again, he's not the flashiest prospect out there, but I think Clarke has a long NHL career with a floor of a top 4 D, and a ceiling of a top pair guy.

I do have to admit, Clarke grew up about 20 minutes from me lol, so definitely a little Ottawa bias here, but Clarke is solid in my opinion. Mason McTavish grew up 4 minutes from me, I love when I see some Ottawa kids having success. McTavish had a solid tournament as well, love his combination of work ethic/skill. I could see McTavish creep his way to the end of the top 10.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hmmm, I watched the whole tourny (well all of Canada's games) and I was actually impressed with Clarke. His skating concerns are blown out of proportion in my opinion. He's not the smoothest guy on the ice, and no, he doesn't skate like Quinn Hughes or Heiskanen or Makar, but his skating is fine, it just doesn't look super smooth.

Who is the high end defenseman in the NHL that moves like him?

I have a lot of time for Clarke and Johnson in the 5-10 range, which is sadly where we are probably picking, because I think they have the highest upside in that range of players. If either of those guys can clean up and improve their skating, they could look like real steals.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

In terms of his overall game, I like him as a prospect. I don't think it is the right fit for us, I just think our RHD depth is solid at the moment, and there will be other players in our range (Edvinsson, Hughes, Johnson, Beniers?) that I would prefer. He clearly oozes hockey sense, he just makes the right play most of the time. Again, he's not the flashiest prospect out there, but I think Clarke has a long NHL career with a floor of a top 4 D, and a ceiling of a top pair guy.

I do have to admit, Clarke grew up about 20 minutes from me lol, so definitely a little Ottawa bias here, but Clarke is solid in my opinion. Mason McTavish grew up 4 minutes from me, I love when I see some Ottawa kids having success. McTavish had a solid tournament as well, love his combination of work ethic/skill. I could see McTavish creep his way to the end of the top 10.

To be brutally honest, he (Clarke) did not have a great game last night but has had a great tournament. I personally am concerned about his skating. I think he pivots pretty poorly and it hurts his ability to defend in transition. What I am not concerned about is drafting another right-handed defensemen, let alone one that is very good with the puck on his stick. We have one decent RHD currently (Hronek) and one who we think will be really good but has not played a single NHL game (Seider). I don't think that any of Edvinsson, Hughes or Clarke are impactful NHL players within the next two-three years either. Hronek will be heading towards the door when those guys are truly coming online. I honestly don't see all of this overlap that everyone else does.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
To be brutally honest, he (Clarke) did not have a great game last night but has had a great tournament. I personally am concerned about his skating. I think he pivots pretty poorly and it hurts his ability to defend in transition. What I am not concerned about is drafting another right-handed defensemen, let alone one that is very good with the puck on his stick. We have one decent RHD currently (Hronek) and one who we think will be really good but has not played a single NHL game (Seider). I don't think that any of Edvinsson, Hughes or Clarke are impactful NHL players within the next two-three years either. Hronek will be heading towards the door when those guys are truly coming online. I honestly don't see all of this overlap that everyone else does.
"Hronek will be heading towards the door when those guys are truly coming online"???
Hughes shoots left

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I thought Guenther was a little on the quiet side this tournament. He obviously has a great set of tools, but I thought he would have a more consistent impact on the game and be around the puck a bit more. He kind of got lost in the shuffle a bit (and not just last night). I think I watched four Canada games and I am not sure he was the best player on the ice in any one game (though he may have had a hatty in another).

Strange week for him, but shouldn't impact his draft stock too much
After this tournament back to teens

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

I don't see the overlap either because Hronek is a great 3/4. With Seider and then one of Edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke, Power, you're hoping you have your top pairing.. The way Hronek plays the game he's going to age well. He's 23 years old, younger than pretty much every other "core" piece we have on the team right now, save Zadina..

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
After this tournament back to teens

Guenther is not getting drafted in the teens. I did expect a bit more from him this tournament, but he's not slipping to the teens. I still think Guenther goes top 5. Maybe he'll slide to 7-8, but he's not falling to the teens.

Scouts know not to put too much emphasis on a tournament like this.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

Yet they still are worse than Detroit...a lot worse this year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
"Hronek will be heading towards the door when those guys are truly coming online"???
Hughes shoots left

This is a comment on timelines. By the time Hughes comes into his own at the NHL level, you are talking probably 4-5 years before he steps into his prime. In 5 years, Hronek will be entering the season turning 29. His contract value will have matured and reached a point of decline. As in, he will be paid more than the value he will provide in the coming years, and as a result, there's a good chance he is not here. Or will become expendable if Hughes reaches his potential and requires his own big pay day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad