U18: U18 day 4!

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Thats exactly what you will get when your country's hockey association
hires sauna club's kiss my ass buddies in your country's junior hockey teams
instead of coaches like Ahokas, Pennanen, Jalonen.
All the above are members Vierumäki gentlemans club, very few coaches aren't members. I can understand why it's not very easy to get best coaches to coach the U18 project, it's a 3 year commitment and most of these guys like coaching club teams. It's a whole different job to coach national team.

Ahokas and Niemelä went through this same project but they were hired from U20 Liiga, coaches after them were Mika Marttila(twice) and Petri Karjalainen. Anssi Laine was also but covid cancelled the tournament were he was going to be the coach. Now the trend seems to be hiring coaches with men's league experience, except Marttila who just seemed to be some sort go-to-guy for the hockey association.

Next U18 coach is the current u17 coach, Marko Kauppinen and his replacement will be the current U16 coach Matti Tiilikainen. Next U16 coach has not be announced yet but if i had to guess based on this latest hires, it's probably going to be Lauri Mikkola.

But this system has brought success too, Jussi Ahokas was the first coach to run this 3 year project. He won gold like we all know. Second coach was Juuso Nieminen, he won silver. Niemelä was the 3rd and won gold. Then it's been less succesful, finnish hockey association should go back hiring coaches from the U20 Liiga to run this 3 year project and forget these failed Liiga coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad