WJC: U.S. WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

it sucks tomorrows game is meaningless...when i bought tickets for this game back during priority draw. I was looking forward to this game the most, still am. But because USA isn't battling Canada for first in pool just won't feel as intense as in past years.

I am sure you will go and have a blast. The crowd will be amazing. The game will be entertaining.

Tomorrow night you will be glad you went.

And... You can relax and enjoy the game. If Canada loses... Oh well...

:)

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
and the Americans do not boo the Canadians when we are in their country playing against them?

There is nothing classless booing the other team.

I watch a lot of NFL games and I see Americans booing and making a lot of noise when the visiting team have the ball trying to score.

So are the Americans Classless? You lost. You are not going for gold. take it like a man not like a BABY.

You must be younger. Missed the Salt Lake Olympics. And took some time off during the Buffalo WJC's. We don't "boo" other teams. We cheer good plays and boo bad officiating.
Hey I know the US lost and is out. And I respect that. They played their hearts out against the Czechs and hit 3 posts. Good on them for a hard fought entertaining game. Its No ones place to boo KIDS out of an arena. Classless. But thats the Canadian way, eh.
Take a lesson from Brazils national soccer team and their fans. For they are exactly to soccer what Canada is to hockey. Dominant. With one exception, they dont boo.

Mara

May 10, 2011
You must be younger. Missed the Salt Lake Olympics. And took some time off during the Buffalo WJC's. We don't "boo" other teams. We cheer good plays and boo bad officiating.
Hey I know the US lost and is out. And I respect that. They played their hearts out against the Czechs and hit 3 posts. Good on them for a hard fought entertaining game. Its No ones place to boo KIDS out of an arena. Classless. But thats the Canadian way, eh.
Take a lesson from Brazils national soccer team and their fans. For they are exactly to soccer what Canada is to hockey. Dominant. With one exception, they dont boo.

Used to be. Now it's Spain all the way.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Most of the people bringing up Prince are Sens fans with an agenda.....honestly he's not an impact player at this level. Knight deserved a spot, and so did biggs. I'm tired of team USA loading up it's bottom 6 with ****ing skill less midgets every year

I know the majority of people bringing up Prince are NOT Sens fans....

There are plenty of posters on here with blinders on, many of whom I do enjoy reading, that simply will not admit that the selection process is bias, and that when you have as much talent as we have to chose from, and when we win as little as we do, we are picking the wrong players 9 out of 10 times.

Shane Prince would have been a force for this team. Yes that is assumption as I expected Emerson Etem to be a force as well, but a player like Prince would thrive in this environment. He is gifted, gritty, and offensively capable of creating freaken offense which was lacking. We had almost zero playmakers with Zucker and Tynan being arguably the top 2 we had.

Prince brings an overall game to the table that would have landed him a top 6 role no doubt, but by the end probably our top 2-3 forward overall. I have watched enough of his game these past 3 years to easily say HE IS EXACTLY WHAT WE MISSED. I cannot stress it enough to some of you guys that think 1 or 2 players doesn't make a difference, because it damn well does.

Brian Burke, David Poile, Dean Lombardi, and Ray Shero all made the exact same statement when selecting the 2010 US Olympic Team.. " we simply cannot miss on 1 or 2 players", "every single individual is as important as the next". Those that do not think Shane Prince or Jared Knight wouldnt have made a difference are insane. They have an edge, speed, and are creative with the puck to generate offense....and Knight, boy does that kid love to crash the net, something of which was sadly lacking.

The problem wasnt just with Shane Prince as he seems to be the poster boy for all of this since his comments, but when the US did not select Jared Knight, Vincent Trocheck, Matt Nieto, and Stefan Noesen; I feared the worse. Those 5 kids alone swing the tide hands down without question over the group of smaller, unphysical, and lack of offensive creativity that they did bring.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009

you really are taking this deep eh.

its battle of 2 huge hockey nations... Canada vs USA is always the bigger games to Canadians then Canada vs Sweden or Russia. I don't see why its such a big deal, just seems your taking the loss to hard which is understandable as i would be pist about everything too if Canada got knocked out of medal round and sent to relegation.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I am not sure I understand this post...

First, very condescending.

Second... I was in Buffalo. That arena was 80%+ Canadian EVERY night and we boo'ed lots of teams - including the Swedes when they played the Americans in the Bronze medal game.

And the American fans who were there did Boo. In fact the Americans who sat beside me and scalped most of their tickets to Canadians for BIG dollars yelled "Thanks for your money Canadians" as they left the U.S. Canada game after the 2nd period.

Third, the kids who come to the WJR in Canada LOVE the atmosphere. Good or bad, it is better than playing in front of 1000 fans in Europe.

If you pay for your tickets, you get to cheer and boo all you want.

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
This obviously only happens in Canada.

Nowhere else in the world does the home crowd boo the rival team, right?

You are reacting without thinking about what you have witnessed at sporting events or on tv. Unless you are Canadian and this is common place for all Canadiansports.
We dont boo rival teams in any sport in the US. With FEW exceptions (major rivalry and BOTH teams are playing each other. Not some random other team. Like tonite.), they did something very illegal....etc..
Man this is old news. Everyone in the US knows Canada's fans boo all the time. Is this somehow shocking to you all? I have been sick of it since the first World Championships. It was eye opening. I thought Canadians were all reserved, respectful and nice. Far from the truth for hockey games.
I mean.....its passion. Just misguided.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

You may not boo but even when the 92 NBA USA Dream team slaughters Outter Mongolia 12,456 to 1 all what was heard was USA USA USA ad nausium.
But it was your fans right to chant that just like it other fans to boo you.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
you really are taking this deep eh.

its battle of 2 huge hockey nations... Canada vs USA is always the bigger games to Canadians then Canada vs Sweden or Russia. I don't see why its such a big deal, just seems your taking the loss to hard which is understandable as i would be pist about everything too if Canada got knocked out of medal round and sent to relegation.

No matter what Canada against Russian is the biggest and the best. They are second in the world in Hockey and you always want to play the best. it has been this way since 1972. USA hockey is lucky to be 4th behind Sweden. But playing Sweden is not the same as Russia.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
To be honest with you, for me the American team was too big... Not fast enough... Archibald and the other small forward belonged there...

This team would have won some games if Etem, Bjugstad, Watson, Saad, Miller... would have played as their status of legitimate prime NHL prospect...

They are the one that are supposed to get this team going... They are the one that played more than 11 minutes of Power Play.... They didn't get much going...

How about Campbell the superstar and Gibson, the better save % is 86,8%... Is it good enough... Instead of complaining about the supporting cast... Complain about the supposed big guns, the stars of this team.

to your first point, I actually thought this team was wayyyy too small upfront. I am not sure why you say that they were too big as we really didnt push anyone around or really hit the living snot out of everyone that we have done in previous years. Outside of Bjugstad and Miller, the hits really werent flying much which was imo one of the main reasons why we had no energy at times.

I agree that some of our top players did not play up to their billing, but Bjugstad was not one of them....that kid played hard every shift and made things happen when others were around picking gold out of their rearends.

The problem that I have with your last statement is that yes the big guns are relied upon and viewed under more scrutiny in these tournaments, but anyone that watches the WJC knows that your supporting cast is what wins you a medal at these things.

A hot goalie can stand on his head and get you there, but it usually comes down to clutch performers and guys on the third and fourth lines that step up and outplay the otherteams role players.

In 2010 when we won Gold, our role players made the world of difference for us. Guys like Brian Lashoff, Jerry D'Amigo, Tyler Johnson, A.J Jenks, Jake Gardiner, our backup goalie Jack Campbell, etc all played huge roles for us that helped us win the Gold medal. Some of those guys outshined some of our stars...so when your support/role players arent up to snuff, it can negatively affect your star players which imo happened here. No chemistry, not much offense being created by the support team, and the stars had little to work with....

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
No matter what Canada against Russian is the biggest and the best. They are second in the world in Hockey and you always want to play the best. it has been this way since 1972. USA hockey is lucky to be 4th behind Sweden. But playing Sweden is not the same as Russia.

some people think differently... many many people who i know and lot people i know who play professional hockey say playing against usa is bigger.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I think its time for bed my young troll....

any sane person over the age of 10 is going to say the biggest rivalry for the past 15 years is USA vs Canada, not Russia vs Canada....

USA vs Canada is the highlight game of the WJC every single year, the players have so much of a bigger rivalry towards each other it is crazy... Canada and Russia simply doesnt hold weight anymore as they rarely have met for any Gold medals since the 80's...by that I mean Canada Cup, World Cup, Olympics, and World Championships..

at the WJC level every Canadian wants to beat the Americans, and every American wants to beat the Canadians, simply do not hear them talking about Russia the same way....

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You are reacting without thinking about what you have witnessed at sporting events or on tv. Unless you are Canadian and this is common place for all Canadiansports.
We dont boo rival teams in any sport in the US. With FEW exceptions (major rivalry and BOTH teams are playing each other. Not some random other team. Like tonite.), they did something very illegal....etc..
Man this is old news. Everyone in the US knows Canada's fans boo all the time. Is this somehow shocking to you all? I have been sick of it since the first World Championships. It was eye opening. I thought Canadians were all reserved, respectful and nice. Far from the truth for hockey games.
I mean.....its passion. Just misguided.

Americans in Minnesota this past draft booed Pierre Gauthier just for speaking French. So yes, Americans do boo for stupid reasons. Furthermore, for every Canadian booing, there's some American chanting USA USA USA!!!

It's just as annoying, and grating on the nerves. And just like Canadians booing: no one gives a ****.

Perhaps you should read this post below:

You may not boo but even when the 92 NBA USA Dream team slaughters Outter Mongolia 12,456 to 1 all what was heard was USA USA USA ad nausium.

Now, after considering this carefully you have two realistic options:

1.) grow a pair

2.) piss off.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think its time for bed my young troll.... any sane person over the age of 10 is going to say the biggest rivalry for the past 15 years is USA vs Canada, not Russia vs Canada.... USA vs Canada is the highlight game of the WJC every single year, the players have so much of a bigger rivalry towards each other it is crazy... Canada and Russia simply doesnt hold weight anymore as they rarely have met for any Gold medals since the 80's...by that I mean Canada Cup, World Cup, Olympics, and World Championships.. at the WJC level every Canadian wants to beat the Americans, and every American wants to beat the Canadians, simply do not hear them talking about Russia the same way....

This is true. Having said that...

Canadians have a place in their hearts for Russia. We kinda miss the way it was - there were some GREAT games over the years. And last years at the WJR's, if someone had to win other than Canada, I was glad it was Russia. Especially, in hindsight, after 2 of the kids were killed in that plane crash.

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
I completely agree! We have an ego and celebrate loud with pride. And its WAY over the top. We assert ourselves into everything in this world and act like we own it all(political...but it applies). But these are kids and its negative crap to boo....win or lose

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I completely agree! We have an ego and celebrate loud with pride. And its WAY over the top. We assert ourselves into everything in this world and act like we own it all(political...but it applies). But these are kids and its negative crap to boo....win or lose

Aye bbfc,

If you listen to interviews with Jack Johnson and other Americans who played in the WJR's up here, they say they love it. They say they get off on it. It makes them want to win all the more. I think there was an interview with Jack Campbell for Yahoo in which he said he loved it too. Win or lose these kids have stories that they can tell for a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
Americans in Minnesota this past draft booed Pierre Gauthier just for speaking French. So yes, Americans do boo for stupid reasons. Furthermore, for every Canadian booing, there's some American chanting USA USA USA!!!

It's just as annoying, and grating on the nerves. And just like Canadians booing: no one gives a ****.

Perhaps you should read this post below:

Now, after considering this carefully you have two realistic options:

1.) grow a pair

2.) piss off.

Yeah! Get all pissed eh!!! We boo Mexicans speaking Spanish in this country. So that goes without saying that we would boo some confused frenchinadian.
You bring a most notable point though....politically speaking. We accept all into this country and afford them every opportunity. Right or wrong, resented or not....thats whats in place here. Now lets talk about Canada.....lmao.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I think its time for bed my young troll....

any sane person over the age of 10 is going to say the biggest rivalry for the past 15 years is USA vs Canada, not Russia vs Canada....

USA vs Canada is the highlight game of the WJC every single year, the players have so much of a bigger rivalry towards each other it is crazy... Canada and Russia simply doesnt hold weight anymore as they rarely have met for any Gold medals since the 80's...by that I mean Canada Cup, World Cup, Olympics, and World Championships..

at the WJC level every Canadian wants to beat the Americans, and every American wants to beat the Canadians, simply do not hear them talking about Russia the same way....

I wait every year to watch Canada play the best team. That is almost never the USA. I always think we have to beat Russia for the GOLD. This year we will have to beat either Russia or Sweden. USA may look forward to playing Canada and you should because like I said before you should always look forward to playing the best team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

You're being way too nice. I actually don't remember an American city who has NOT booed Trevor Timmins when he says his little bit of french. Sorry, don't remember. So it is pretty tough to then take some lessons about how a crowd conduct itself. Crowd is a crowd. The more you are, the less intelligent you most likely will be. And it has NO boundaries.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can only speak about the players that I've actually seen play numerous times and then cross-reference against some of the players for other countries...so here goes...

Shane Prince is at least a top 6 player on any team in the WJHC.
If you think he doesn't belong then please submit your resume to USA Hockey, I'm sure they will like your analysis!

Jack Campbell and John Gibson: I have Gibson ahead of Campbell and not by a little.
Don't let one bad game mislead you. I think the error that USA Hockey made was annoiting both players without any competition.
I would've invited Michael Houser and Matt Mahalik to battle them at the December camp.

Jared Tinordi: if he was your best defenceman then IMHO your d-corps was in trouble before the tourney started.
Austin Levi while not a flashing is just a type of player to build a solid d-corps around. Having him paired with Tinordi would be a great 2 or 3 pairing of d-men.

Stefan Noesen: great mucker with offensive upside and very consistent and would have been a great addition.

Brandon Saad: Mr. Super Inconsistency, one good week for every 3 bad weeks.
He needed his buttons pushed the right way. When on, he would be a first team WJHC all-star but......

Jared Knight: If Blais could have lit a fire under his players, what Knight brings could be duplicated.
But Knight is very very self-motivated and driven...he could have infected the other players. He may have been the ideal line-mate for Saad!!

^^ most if not all of those players would've made Team Canada.
How Team USA leave these players off their team is totally baffling.

But the biggest ommission is not involving Mike Vellucci, as a Canadian I hope and pray they never ever involve him!

American Dream....not sure if i ever said this but you're one of my favourite posters on here....you're a darn straight shooter without blinders!!!
For Canadians sake, i hope USA Hockey never reads your posts!

Excellent post again Ward.....I do not really get along with a lot of posters from Canada because we sometimes let our passions get in the way of that, but I honestly enjoy most things you have to say along with Minister and some of the other "nucks" posters out there.

Your list is bang on, but for one thing... you listed Brandon Saad on that list, but he obviously made the team, maybe you meant Vincent Trocheck who clearly should have made this squad?? Just throwing that out there.

Mike Vellucci is the man that needs to run this team next year, hands down. That guy gets the most out of the least at times. Consistent, fair, and an excellent coach, I would love to have him as he would help balance things out with the CHL imo. I am still a Dean Blais fan, but I felt he was coasting here, and really didnt make any changes or much of anything happen which was surprising.

As for your bottom point, damn appreciate it. I know I come off as the loudmouth, or the guy always trying to be different then the herd, but when it comes to USA Hockey I am very passionate about it and I am unwilling to look the other way with something I love so much goes so wrong.

Some of the other USA posters on here (all of which I respect and love to read) just simply refuse to face facts of what has been going on here for years. We do not have a winning tradition that we simply should have over the past 10 years, and bs politics, bad coaches, and horrible selections have been the reasons for it. Look at the talent we develope year in and year out, and your going to tell me that we should be viewed for one nanosecond behind Sweden, Russia, or Finland? We produce more talent per year then all of them combined most years....it is crazy.

I am just calling things like I see it, and I am sorry that some of the other USA posters dont want to admit it, or want to sweep it under the rug, play nice, and pretend its not going on, but I cannot do that. From top to bottom we have issues, and I pray some people get axed because of this. This is a huge embarassment of which I know will take some time to let go of.

I hope USA Hockey reads all our posts tonight and this week from every poster... they need to see that this was a gigantic f*up, and they are the ones to blame as well as some bad performances by some of our players.

I know this will never happen, but I would love for USA Hockey to have a split GM committe for our WJC selection process. One from USA Hockey and the other a person from the CHL... that might be a nightmare when it comes to two people fighting for "their" guys, but at least things would go down much more fair then it does now. We had a 10 man committe for God's sake for the 2010 Olympics, if we cant win consistently, then we need to change our thinking and have multiple minds from both sides of the pond selecting these squads from here on out.

Every time we take a step forward, it seems we take two steps back.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah! Get all pissed eh!!! We boo Mexicans speaking Spanish in this country. So that goes without saying that we would boo some confused frenchinadian.
You bring a most notable point though....politically speaking. We accept all into this country and afford them every opportunity. Right or wrong, resented or not....thats whats in place here. Now lets talk about Canada.....lmao.

Lol, what...is this? Did any of that make sense to you before you posted it?

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
Aye bbfc,

If you listen to interviews with Jack Johnson and other Americans who played in the WJR's up here, they say they love it. They say they get off on it. It makes them want to win all the more. I think there was an interview with Jack Campbell for Yahoo in which he said he loved it too. Win or lose these kids have stories that they can tell for a lifetime.
Ha!!!! Nice....
Look im happy they get pumped. But not each and every kid can say that.
Tonite they were cheering Mrazeks classless crap. Dude celebrated after getting beat on a penalty shot that got pushed wide. Really??
I guess we are both at fault in ways. And its our rights in our countries. I just get protective of kids. There is so much passion and emotion. So impressionable.

bbfrc

Feb 25, 2010
Lol, what...is this? Did any of that make sense to you before you posted it?

Yes it did. Is it too deep for you? Or is your lack of understanding leading to you to post your standard "hahaha looooook at this guy? Does anyone understand this guy? Hahaha....like oh my god, can you beeeeelieve this?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->