Nielsen, Søren, Esbjerg Energy, DEN
Olesen, Nick, Odense Bulldogs, DEN
Pison, Andre Stærmose, Wenathchee Wild, NAHL
Rasmussen, Emil, Rødovre Mighty Bulls, DEN
True, Alexander, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL
Aagaard, Mikkel, Niagara IceDogs, OHL

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
D is again the weak spot.. I think we will score more than usual, but I also think our opponents will outscore us.

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think this team could survive. I Draisaitl isn't released to play for Germany then Denmark could very well stay in the top division this year.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Im not so confident about that. I think Denmark will be demoted, and I don't think we will come close to staying up. I think we will show more offense, but that D is horribly weak.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Im not so confident about that. I think Denmark will be demoted, and I don't think we will come close to staying up. I think we will show more offense, but that D is horribly weak.

Well hasn't it always been “horribly weak“ compared to other A-nations? :laugh:
This year we actually have some fairly good prospects (Hertzberg and others), but it's perhaps in the size and physique department where we will really be in trouble.

Overall I think this roster is the best with the 1988-1989 year class that played U20 in the best group 2007/08 (as Mikkel Bødker was lacking from the roster in 2008/09 though of course they were one year older and better).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1630&year0=2008

But from 1989 comes Mikkel Bødker, Lars Eller, Frederik Andersen, Philip Larsen, Oliver Lauridsen so that is still the best year as all 5 have played NHL games. [Frederik Storm & Lasse Lassen also NT players from that year).

But this roster has the best goalkeepers - since Frederik Andersen - with Lillie and Sørensen.
Best attack since those days with Ehlers and O. Bjørkstrand as stars, but good depth in my opinion (Asperup, M. Eller, A. True, Aagaard for instance that could be later NT players).

Very unlikely to stay up, but compare to most other years we might have a little chance.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well hasn't it always been “horribly weak“ compared to other A-nations? :laugh:
This year we actually have some fairly good prospects (Hertzberg and others), but it's perhaps in the size and physique department where we will really be in trouble.

Overall I think this roster is the best with the 1988-1989 year class that played U20 in the best group 2007/08 (as Mikkel Bødker was lacking from the roster in 2008/09 though of course they were one year older and better).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=1630&year0=2008

But from 1989 comes Mikkel Bødker, Lars Eller, Frederik Andersen, Philip Larsen, Oliver Lauridsen so that is still the best year as all 5 have played NHL games. [Frederik Storm & Lasse Lassen also NT players from that year).

But this roster has the best goalkeepers - since Frederik Andersen - with Lillie and Sørensen.
Best attack since those days with Ehlers and O. Bjørkstrand as stars, but good depth in my opinion (Asperup, M. Eller, A. True, Aagaard for instance that could be later NT players).

Very unlikely to stay up, but compare to most other years we might have a little chance.

I agree on all parts mate :)

It's just that Hertzberg has shown he has had a tough time playing the physical north-south type of hockey they play in North America, and he is kind of our biggest D star. If he isn't capable who is?

Our offense looks solid, and we will pot a few goals, and if we are able to outscore opponents, sure! But I think that D is going to get owned, even though we also look solid in G. Those goalies are going to have to work wonders.

I hope, I really do... But they can only suprise positively for me! Would be nice to be able to beat the nations we compare ourselves to for once though :)

I imagine we are going to compete with Germany for the spot to keep us up, and if we can beat them over 3 games, ill be happy! Wouldn't count on it though.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Sorry (especially to Justinov) for writing something that has already been written here before. But I though it was better to write my own remark as a whole instead of just commenting other.

I fully understand the pessimism I can see in this thread. We will be up against nations much stronger than us, and normally when we have been slightly optimistic about our chances a reality check has hit us hard. But still I got a feeling that somehow it can be different this time.

As I wrote a year ago, and without having seen the final roster, I believe that this years team could be the strongest Danish team ever. And yes it means that it is better than the 2008 team!

Goal-tending: The goaltender duo will most likely be George Sørensen and Thomas Lillie. This is undoubtedly the strongest goaltender duo we have ever had at a U20 WJC. Furthermore, and I know that this may sound controversial, but I actually believe that George may have a better WJC than Frederik Andersen had in 2008, partly because he will be a year older than Frederik was. No, George will most likely never be nearly as good as Frederik is, but comparing the 19 year old George to the 18 year old Frederik, may give a small advantage to George.
It has been seen time and time again that good goal-tending can win matches, and probably they will need to prove just that if we are going to avoid relegation.

Defenders: Normally the defense is the weakest part of the Danish national team, and this year is no exception. But actually the defense seems above average this year compared to other years (if that is a comfort). They will be over-matched against the best teams in the world, but against our closest competitors like Switzerland and (maybe) Germany they can hold their own at least technically. The question is; can they hold their own physically? It seems that good coaching will be necessary, mixing and playing the D-men properly. Comparing the 2008 defenders with this years defenders the main difference is Phillip Larsen, who was a rising star in 2008. But apart from him, the defense from 2008 seems average (at that time Simon Grønvald was 16 years old and Oliver Lauridsen was mainly a big body).

Forwards: We have in Oliver Bjorkstrand and Nikolaj Ehlers two elite forwards that are just as good as Eller and Bødker was in 2008. But what makes this years forward crop special is the depth. Never have we had such a debt on the forward positions as we will have this year, and it is not even close. Most forwards will be 19 years old thereby eliminating the age disadvantage we normally have because of the relatively few hockey players in each birth year.

I know that we are up against impressive national teams in the preliminary round, and I certainly don't expect us to be able to beat any of Russia or Sweden, but even though we will be underdogs against Switzerland and (maybe) Germany it is not out of the question that we can make a surprise.

Most noticeable names on the 2008 U20 WJC roster and their age:

Nichlas Hardt 19
Morten Poulsen 19
Mikkel Bødker 18
Lars Eller 18
Philip Larsen 18
Frederik Andersen 18
Oliver Lauridsen 18
Nicholas Jensen 18
Lasse Lassen 18
Alexander Jensen 17
Sebastian Svendsen 16
Simon Grønvaldt 16

I admit that it is impressive with 5 players who is playing (or has played) NHL hockey, and most others has been around the national team, but if you look at their age you will see that most were 18 years old or younger at the 2008 U20 WJC.

Most noticeable names on the 2015 U20 WJC roster and their age:

George Sørensen 19
Sonny Hertzberg 19
Mads Larsen 19
Oliver Bjorkstrand 19
Mads Eller 19
Mikkel Aagaard Hansen 19
Mathias Asperup 19
Marcus Nielsen 19
Christian Kristiansen 19
Thomas Lillie 18
Anders Krogsgaard 18
Matias Lassen 18
Nikolaj Ehlers 18
Markus Jensen 18

Many of the players above will most likely be national team players when they get older, and at least 2 will become NHL regulars.

It's my opinion that this years team will be just as talented as the 2008 team (if not more), and with players older and more mature, and therefore with a better possibility to succeed.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Sorry (especially to Justinov) for writing something that has already been written here before. But I though it was better to write my own remark as a whole instead of just commenting other.

I fully understand the pessimism I can see in this thread. We will be up against nations much stronger than us, and normally when we have been slightly optimistic about our chances a reality check has hit us hard. But still I got a feeling that somehow it can be different this time.

As I wrote a year ago, and without having seen the final roster, I believe that this years team could be the strongest Danish team ever. And yes it means that it is better than the 2008 team!

Goal-tending: The goaltender duo will most likely be George Sørensen and Thomas Lillie. This is undoubtedly the strongest goaltender duo we have ever had at a U20 WJC. Furthermore, and I know that this may sound controversial, but I actually believe that George may have a better WJC than Frederik Andersen had in 2008, partly because he will be a year older than Frederik was. No, George will most likely never be nearly as good as Frederik is, but comparing the 19 year old George to the 18 year old Frederik, may give a small advantage to George.
It has been seen time and time again that good goal-tending can win matches, and probably they will need to prove just that if we are going to avoid relegation.

Defenders: Normally the defense is the weakest part of the Danish national team, and this year is no exception. But actually the defense seems above average this year compared to other years (if that is a comfort). They will be over-matched against the best teams in the world, but against our closest competitors like Switzerland and (maybe) Germany they can hold their own at least technically. The question is; can they hold their own physically? It seems that good coaching will be necessary, mixing and playing the D-men properly. Comparing the 2008 defenders with this years defenders the main difference is Phillip Larsen, who was a rising star in 2008. But apart from him, the defense from 2008 seems average (at that time Simon Grønvald was 16 years old and Oliver Lauridsen was mainly a big body).

Forwards: We have in Oliver Bjorkstrand and Nikolaj Ehlers two elite forwards that are just as good as Eller and Bødker was in 2008. But what makes this years forward crop special is the depth. Never have we had such a debt on the forward positions as we will have this year, and it is not even close. Most forwards will be 19 years old thereby eliminating the age disadvantage we normally have because of the relatively few hockey players in each birth year.

I know that we are up against impressive national teams in the preliminary round, and I certainly don't expect us to be able to beat any of Russia or Sweden, but even though we will be underdogs against Switzerland and (maybe) Germany it is not out of the question that we can make a surprise.

Most noticeable names on the 2008 U20 WJC roster and their age:

Nichlas Hardt 19
Morten Poulsen 19
Mikkel Bødker 18
Lars Eller 18
Philip Larsen 18
Frederik Andersen 18
Oliver Lauridsen 18
Nicholas Jensen 18
Lasse Lassen 18
Alexander Jensen 17
Sebastian Svendsen 16
Simon Grønvaldt 16

I admit that it is impressive with 5 players who is playing (or has played) NHL hockey, and most others has been around the national team, but if you look at their age you will see that most were 18 years old or younger at the 2008 U20 WJC.

Most noticeable names on the 2015 U20 WJC roster and their age:

George Sørensen 19
Sonny Hertzberg 19
Mads Larsen 19
Oliver Bjorkstrand 19
Mads Eller 19
Mikkel Aagaard Hansen 19
Mathias Asperup 19
Marcus Nielsen 19
Christian Kristiansen 19
Thomas Lillie 18
Anders Krogsgaard 18
Matias Lassen 18
Nikolaj Ehlers 18
Markus Jensen 18

Many of the players above will most likely be national team players when they get older, and at least 2 will become NHL regulars.

It's my opinion that this years team will be just as talented as the 2008 team (if not more), and with players older and more mature, and therefore with a better possibility to succeed.

I totally agree with you Valdemar. This years roster is mostly 19 year old star players with only a few 18 years old, whereas the 2008 roster was a lot younger. So much better in that respect.

About physicality we just have to accept that Danish boys generally age slower compared to other parts of the world as we can see from football as well. Whether it's hormone beef, genetics or more physical training in North America it's just how things are. So even if we have skilled defenders they can be overrun by other teams.
Then again I agree with you that depth wise this is also one of the better d-cores we have ever had.
Forward depth is really exceptional this year and for the first time we have multiple good goalkeepers.

Whether it is enough time will tell, but we don't get a bigger chance for staying up than this year.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
A thought I had today: A comparision in experience between last year's roster and this year's roster.

Number of WC20s in ()

Goalies: 1 vs 2,5

Starter: Georg Sørensen(1) vs. Georg Sørensen(2)
Back-up: Thomas Lilie(0) vs. Thomas Lilie(0,5)

Defence: 2 vs 3

Uldall(1)-Hertzberg(0)
Mar. Larsen(0)- Mad. Larsen(0)
Lindhøj(1)-Krogsgaard(0)
Lyø(0)-Andersen(0)

vs.

Hertzberg(1)-Krogsgaard(1)
Lassen(0)-Larsen(1)
Eskerod(0)-Nielsen(0)
Mieritz(0)-Hansen(0)

Forwards: 4 vs. 10

Asperup(0)-Lauridsen(1)-Bjørkstrand(1)
Ehlers(0)-Aagaard(0)-Eller(2)
Ankjær(0)-Frederiksen(0)-Jul Korsgaard(0)
M. Nielsen(0)-Zorko(0)-Møller Rasmussen(0)

vs.

Ehlers(1)-Aagaard(1)-Bjørkstrand(2)
Asperup(1)-Eller(3 - wow btw)-Møller Rasmussen(1)
Olesen-M. Nielsen(1)-K. Jensen(0)
Pison(0)-A. True(0)-S. Nielsen(0)
Holmberg(0)

Total: 8 vs. 15,5

I don't remember the lines last year, nor do I have any other takes on the lines this year than what I've read here. With that said: Not only does our upgrade in experience seems to be in key places like Top 4 on D and secondary scoring(And obviously our star players getting a year more under the belt). It also strikes me - especially on D - that guys like Mads Larsen, Anders Krogsgaard and Sonny Hertzberg not only have tried the WC20-level before. They've tried it in significant roles. They don't have to adjust to logging big minutes.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Didn't see the game, but what a fantastic performance. Shame that they couldn't make the big upset by winning the shootout.
Hopefully they can continue playing this well and they might be the first Danish U20 team to stay up and avoid regulation.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Didn't see the game, but what a fantastic performance. Shame that they couldn't make the big upset by winning the shootout.
Hopefully they can continue playing this well and they might be the first Danish U20 team to stay up and avoid regulation.

I think we have a good chance to avoid relegation unless we run out of juice. The boys have been playing a insanely high tempo...and I'm talking all the lines. could mean tired legs.
You can still watch the game�� just look up.
They actually played okay today too, especially with tempo...just lacked sharpness and made too many mistakes and got tired.

edit:
Im watching the Czechs vs. Switzerland and it might end up being a little more complicated now:s

Switzerland ahead by two. Playing best.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Switzerland up 5-2 right now. Playing well, as I said all along I don't think they are our chance.

THe Czechs also lost 5-2 to the Swedes, so maybe they are our chance, although if they loose this, they will be hard pressed for a win against us, which is not good for us.

We took some stupid penalties today, especially Aagaard. We were not outplayed by the Swedes IMO untill the 3rd period, and that was because they were on the PP for 1/3 of the period.

We could beat the Czechs and/or the Swiss, but they will have to bring their A game, like against the Russians.

Sørensen had a bad game today and was pulled after 3goals allowed on 9SOG. His size does limit him against strong competition. And he is easy to outmaneuver on the SO.

Our D is still our weakpoint - They are static, and contribute very little on the offense.
The Swedish D was what caused us trouble today, we couldn't get alot of shots away since most of them are used to playing against men in the D minded SHL.
Then ofc. they have a a few AHL/NHL'ers.

The Swiss are strong on D, so we might run into the same problems there, since they also have a great offense! Schweri, Meier, Malgin, Fiala, Wieser and so forth.

The Czechs are an unknown to me outside Vrana and Pstrnak, but their goaltending looks weak as does their D, so maybe our fast way of playing can cause some trouble.

Im probably going to get some flack for this, but im not sure I have liked Ehlers game so far! I know he plays alot and is still only 18, but he tries to much, and often goes for the beuaty play instead of the safer one. He is not as crisp a paser as he usually is, and he seemed totally gone today against the Swedes.

Oliver however is just WOW - A total steal for Columbus!

Hoping we can avoid going to relegation, would not be dissapointed if we did, since I now think we can take the Germans/Slovaks. But avoiding it and going to the QF, could be such a boost for Danish hockey, and might get them some more funding.

On another note - Both happy and suprised to see mainstream media writing about the boys! :)

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
We could hardly have asked for more. Now lets hope it's enough and rejoice that not only have survived one year in at WJC but we've won a game and perhaps qualified for the QFs

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
We could hardly have asked for more. Now lets hope it's enough and rejoice that not only have survived one year in at WJC but we've won a game and perhaps qualified for the QFs

We haven't survived for sure yet, but Sweden or Russia has to win tonight, but I expect that to happen. First ever win at the WJC is huge. A QF spot would be huge, I wouldn't even dare to dream that we could get that before the tournament, and now it is a very real possibility.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Congratulations to team Denmark by staying up in the elite division with a win against Switzerland last night. This I very impressive, looks like the generation with Ehlers, Bjorkstrand and Sørensen are a very good one. Sørensen is got to be on his way to another league after this tournament? Sure some scouts had their eyes on him?

Denmark’s next game are going to be a very difficult one, facing either Canada or USA. Anyways, I wish the Danish team good luck in the next game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Congratulations to team Denmark by staying up in the elite division with a win against Switzerland last night. This I very impressive, looks like the generation with Ehlers, Bjorkstrand and Sørensen are a very good one. Sørensen is got to be on his way to another league after this tournament? Sure some scouts had their eyes on him?

Denmark’s next game are going to be a very difficult one, facing either Canada or USA. Anyways, I wish the Danish team good luck in the next game.

Cheers:) But as Jevo mentions, nothing is sure yet :)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

Much appreciated..great class neighbour

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Really :)

It's alot to ask, but I wish we had the consistency to produce players so we could stay up again next year.

Maybe this will get TD to take Hockey more serious?

Lot's of media attention on news sites in DK for the boys which is a first:)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad