Player Discussion Tyson Jost

Will Tyson Jost be viewed favorably in his time with the Wild?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Sounds like Guerin has fairly high hopes for him, even top six ice time. I like that plan, as I think he has more offense than he's shown so far in the league.

I'm hoping they'll start him on PP2 right away though. Even if it's not at center, you can at least get Foligno off that unit. Sounds like Jost is decent in front of the net himself.

Also included poll. Trying to get an idea for how people expect this to turn out for us. Could be fun to look back on in a couple of years.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
PP

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Hartman-Zuccarello
Spurgeon

Fiala-Jost-Gaudreau-Boldy
Dumba

If Jost works out, we suddenly have two solid units (on paper)

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
I think alot of people are down on the trade rn. But like my sn, I think there's alot of untapped potential here due to a stacked center core in col. And potentially he immediately could end up being our best offensive C if given the opportunity.

Reactions: Stapler

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I am of the thought that he has offensive upside and can be a 2c going forward hopefully. we shall see what happens but I do agree that as of now in his career he has not shown a ton to warrant expecting that outcome.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think people will look at his stats and dislike him, and then I think he'll win fans over with his work ethic and personality. Not all fans, but lots of them.

I'm viewing him as a long shot with some possibly untapped upside.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
If the goal is to unlock offensive upside or at least see if we can... let's put him with Kaprizov and Zuccarrello and get him fed chances in high danger areas. If the goal is to unlock offensive upside and we put him on the 4th line with Bjugstad, Dewar, Duhaime, etc I will again be lost.

I'd be for the Kaprizov line juggling. To be honest, in terms of chances & sustained pressure in the offensive zone these last few games have been pretty subpar for the Kaprizov line. Hartman has had a couple of solid games recently, but overall I think he has clearly taken a step back from his start to the season and I think (probably not on purpose) Hartman has started to build some habits that take him away from what made him originally successful. I still see him trying a lot of "high-skill" types of passes & plays and would like to see Hartman get back to north/south physical play and firing shots.

I know the Gaudreau line has overall been playing pretty well, but given the team as a whole has been struggling I wouldn't mind exploring Hartman between Boldy/Fiala and then moving Gaudreau down to the 4th line. Given all of the praise Gaudreau gets for his workman like attitude and defensive thoroughness... I'd much rather have that on the 4th line and be able to play a 2nd checking line then try to mismatch a tweener skill player (which is what Jost currently is) into a checking role on the 4th line.

Kaprizov - Jost - Zucc
Greenway - Ek - Foligno
Boldy - Hartman - Fiala
Duhaime - Gaudreau - Bjugstad

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If the goal is to unlock offensive upside or at least see if we can... let's put him with Kaprizov and Zuccarrello and get him fed chances in high danger areas. If the goal is to unlock offensive upside and we put him on the 4th line with Bjugstad, Dewar, Duhaime, etc I will again be lost.

I'd be for the Kaprizov line juggling. To be honest, in terms of chances & sustained pressure in the offensive zone these last few games have been pretty subpar for the Kaprizov line. Hartman has had a couple of solid games recently, but overall I think he has clearly taken a step back from his start to the season and I think (probably not on purpose) Hartman has started to build some habits that take him away from what made him originally successful. I still see him trying a lot of "high-skill" types of passes & plays and would like to see Hartman get back to north/south physical play and firing shots.

I know the Gaudreau line has overall been playing pretty well, but given the team as a whole has been struggling I wouldn't mind exploring Hartman between Boldy/Fiala and then moving Gaudreau down to the 4th line. Given all of the praise Gaudreau gets for his workman like attitude and defensive thoroughness... I'd much rather have that on the 4th line and be able to play a 2nd checking line then try to mismatch a tweener skill player (which is what Jost currently is) into a checking role on the 4th line.

Kaprizov - Jost - Zucc
Greenway - Ek - Foligno
Boldy - Hartman - Fiala

Just a heads up, it sounds like the plan is to start him on the fourth line and slowly give him more opportunity in the top 6 and PP as the season goes on.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Just a heads up, it sounds like the plan is to start him on the fourth line and slowly give him more opportunity in the top 6 and PP as the season goes on.

Thanks for letting me know. I understand why organizations do this, but I think it's a puzzling approach that doesn't put Jost in a position to succeed and build momentum. If you make a trade for a player like Jost & follow it up with a stated outcome that you are trying to drive. You would want to develop a strategy that allows you to have the best possible chance of achieving that outcome.

I guess maybe the other side of the argument is that you don't want to put a player who doesn't really understand the system nor have a lot of practice time with linemates in a situation where they are playing huge amounts of key ice time and potentially making mistakes in due to that. I would hope at a minimum, as other posts have said, you would give him a path to be able to play with skill players and in situations to use his skill (i.e. PP2).

I will stay open-minded to the idea that there are things that Jost needs to do to be brought up to speed within the organization before it makes sense to trial him in a key role for an experiment. In the meantime, I will be interested to watch Jost to see if he flashes speed/skill/hockey IQ/or a shot that jumps out as something more than a typical bottom 6 player skill. I remember watching Haula a number of years back start on the 4th line & flash skating ability & ability to handle the puck in small areas around the net & at top speed and see him able to force his way into more key minutes (ultimately even having a ~70 point season at wing in the top 6 for Vegas).

I am hopeful that Jost looks like a player who is more talented than a typical bottom 6 player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Kaprizov - Jost - Zucc
Greenway - Ek - Foligno
Boldy - Hartman - Fiala
Hartman was absolutely brutal in the Preds game.

Reactions: Nino Noderreiter

Wabit

May 23, 2016
PP

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Hartman-Zuccarello
Spurgeon

Fiala-Jost-Gaudreau-Boldy
Dumba

If Jost works out, we suddenly have two solid units (on paper)

Foligno has as many PPG as Hartman has PPP. Freddy G has 2 total PPP. Swap Jost for one of those two and keep Foligno as a net front guy on PP2.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Foligno has as many PPG as Hartman has PPP. Freddy G has 2 total PPP. Swap Jost for one of those two and keep Foligno as a net front guy on PP2.
Someone still needs to be able to take faceoffs. Replacing Foligno allows each unit a left handed and right handed center than can take faceoffs. Foligno's four goals don't really mean much to me when he's still not a player you want on the PP, and he's been singlehandedly killing our PP's lately when PP2 is one the ice.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Someone still needs to be able to take faceoffs. Replacing Foligno allows each unit a left handed and right handed center than can take faceoffs. Foligno's four goals don't really mean much to me when he's still not a player you want on the PP, and he's been singlehandedly killing our PP's lately when PP2 is one the ice.

Jost is less than 40% on FOs for this year/career. Hartman is less than 45% for this year/career. FOs are not the reason to have them on a PP.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought the problem with this team was keeping goals out of our own net, not scoring? Our top three lines are scoring at a historic pace for a Wild team, especially since Boldy came up. This team needs consistently good goaltending, and one more solid Dman. Oh, and someone who knows how to coach special teams.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jost is less than 40% on FOs for this year/career. Hartman is less than 45% for this year/career. FOs are not the reason to have them on a PP.

Okay but it's not like Foligno is any good on the PP. Even if every center was under 40% on faceoffs, always being able to have a center take faceoffs on their strong side is going to give you the best opportunity to win them.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Thanks for letting me know. I understand why organizations do this, but I think it's a puzzling approach that doesn't put Jost in a position to succeed and build momentum. If you make a trade for a player like Jost & follow it up with a stated outcome that you are trying to drive. You would want to develop a strategy that allows you to have the best possible chance of achieving that outcome.

I guess maybe the other side of the argument is that you don't want to put a player who doesn't really understand the system nor have a lot of practice time with linemates in a situation where they are playing huge amounts of key ice time and potentially making mistakes in due to that. I would hope at a minimum, as other posts have said, you would give him a path to be able to play with skill players and in situations to use his skill (i.e. PP2).

I will stay open-minded to the idea that there are things that Jost needs to do to be brought up to speed within the organization before it makes sense to trial him in a key role for an experiment. In the meantime, I will be interested to watch Jost to see if he flashes speed/skill/hockey IQ/or a shot that jumps out as something more than a typical bottom 6 player skill. I remember watching Haula a number of years back start on the 4th line & flash skating ability & ability to handle the puck in small areas around the net & at top speed and see him able to force his way into more key minutes (ultimately even having a ~70 point season at wing in the top 6 for Vegas).

I am hopeful that Jost looks like a player who is more talented than a typical bottom 6 player.

I have a suspicion that he will get a look in most places of the depth chart over the next few games. I have nothing to support or back up that statement but it's just the feeling I get.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I thought the problem with this team was keeping goals out of our own net, not scoring? Our top three lines are scoring at a historic pace for a Wild team, especially since Boldy came up. This team needs consistently good goaltending, and one more solid Dman. Oh, and someone who knows how to coach special teams.
Just because we clearly need a goaltender, that doesn't change the fact that we're still a center starved team and have been for some time. Getting a center has been an issue here for a long ass time.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I have a suspicion that he will get a look in most places of the depth chart over the next few games. I have nothing to support or back up that statement but it's just the feeling I get.

I think that would be interesting to see. In another thread, I was complaining about BG's willingness to roll the dice on Jost but not on McBain. That being said, I am excited to see if Jost can make an impact given that he does have some offensive skills. Kaprizov/Zucc have turned Hartman into a 50-60 point center without PP time & Boldy/Fiala have done similar for Gaudreau. If Jost is an above-average-skater, can think the game well, and has an above-average shot... I think he could produce really well here potentially.

This is a bad example but I'm thinking of a player like Guentzel with the Penguins. If Jost can keep up with the play while skating with them & can show that he's good at finding space in high-danger areas and finishing... he could be pretty solid even if he isn't a fully complete player. Watching some highlights, it looks like those are Jost's general traits although I'm not sure how consistently he does those things.

He seems like a good skater with an above-average-shot and some good puck skills in traffic & in tight areas around the net even if he isn't going to carry the puck and dangle off the rush. I am excited to see him play and I hope he gets some opportunities with skill players!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
That is a weak spot... he's not that.

Thanks for the information. I was just looking at highlights and he looked relatively quick in short-areas. I'm not sure that he seemed like he was a player that could fly through the neutral zone with the puck at high-speed (he seems like he'd rather headman a pass and then find a soft spot for a one-timer). He did seem like he was skilled in small areas as well like in front of the net and in the slot. I'm not 100% on what a great comparison would be. Maybe in some ways, he seemed a lot like Hartman although with a little more patience with the puck and a little more east/west ability on his edges where Hartman is pretty north/south? Not sure. Do you have a comparable?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thanks for the information. I was just looking at highlights and he looked relatively quick in short-areas. I'm not sure that he seemed like he was a player that could fly through the neutral zone with the puck at high-speed (he seems like he'd rather headman a pass and then find a soft spot for a one-timer). He did seem like he was skilled in small areas as well like in front of the net and in the slot. I'm not 100% on what a great comparison would be. Maybe in some ways, he seemed a lot like Hartman although with a little more patience with the puck and a little more east/west ability on his edges where Hartman is pretty north/south? Not sure. Do you have a comparable?
In terms of STYLE? Patrice Bergeron... obviously not that same level of talent though by any means.

I'm still hoping we can get peak level Setoguchi production out of him though. I think he has enough talent to get there... but can he? That remains to be seen.

I believe he's a smarter player and a very hard worker. He is good in small areas though, I agree. Good acceleration but don't expect him to outrace most others down the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille