Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Again, wrong: 23rd Overall - Conner Bleackley

Page six is when it gets good. The biggest criticism of the pick in the first half of that thread is "safe," which still seemed to be a middle six player. Significantly more than Heard was projecting to be at the time.

Well, seeing as I was telling you what I remember, I don't think I was wrong in remembering that. Again, the pick was pathetically weak and that was the general sentiment that I remember. I'm not going through threads and threads in the hopes of proving my memory wrong. I don't care enough other than to again tell you this pick sucked at the time and that was the general concensus. When GMs make obviously horrible picks like this it makes me wonder, but Sakic can be forgiven as he does most things right.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He honestly could have ended up being a “safe” prospect had he not been a lazy complacent pile of shit that regressed, got fat out of shape and stripped of his captaincy. What a weird series of events.
Someone in the Bleackley pre-draft interview got played really hard.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Well, seeing as I was telling you what I remember, I don't think I was wrong in remembering that. Again, the pick was pathetically weak and that was the general sentiment that I remember. I'm not going through threads and threads in the hopes of proving my memory wrong. I don't care enough other than to again tell you this pick sucked at the time and that was the general concensus. When GMs make obviously horrible picks like this it makes me wonder, but Sakic can be forgiven as he does most things right.
Your memory is wrong though, that's the thing. It doesn't matter if you remember it that way, the record we have of that time shows that your memory is wrong. It's very weird that you're dying on this hill of "My memory trumps your facts".

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

'Threads and threads" - as in two threads max, which have been conveniently linked to you?

Easy to say in hindsight, but if that's what you were thinking at draft day I'm interested to see what your opinions are moving forward - because you may have been literally the only person who saw this coming considering he was a consensus 20-30 pick in all pre-draft rankings.

What players are you interested in for this draft, and what players do you think will bust?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Look, like it or not, at the time, the Bleakley pick was a good one. He was projecting as a solid 2nd line W who could score clutch goals and played a heavy game. Not bad for a late 1st rounder.

What nobody saw coming was that he was one of those people who saw his draft as the end goal, and figured once he got selected he could sit on his laurels and stop doing the things it took to get his name called in the first place.

Had that never happened, and he kept his work ethic up, he would be playing high up in our lineup right now. He had the skills and the tools to be a better Jamie McGinn. He just got lazy and complacent.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I remember reading somewhere that another teams scout or exec called the Bleackley pick a waste of pick when the Avs drafted him. From a fans prospective the pick seemed ok at the time. The dumber decision was the Avs not taking the 2nd round compensatory pick for not signing him and instead traded that away as part of the package for Boedker.

Reactions: ibengals

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Look, like it or not, at the time, the Bleakley pick was a good one. He was projecting as a solid 2nd line W who could score clutch goals and played a heavy game. Not bad for a late 1st rounder.

What nobody saw coming was that he was one of those people who saw his draft as the end goal, and figured once he got selected he could sit on his laurels and stop doing the things it took to get his name called in the first place.

Had that never happened, and he kept his work ethic up, he would be playing high up in our lineup right now. He had the skills and the tools to be a better Jamie McGinn. He just got lazy and complacent.

I mean, there’s just nothing to support this.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Bleakley was a guy whose offense came from what he did on the ice. He had a very good shot for junior hockey, but in terms of ability to handle the pass, play as a support player or work off of others was poor even in junior. He was a favela version of Jeff Carter, a guy who either is the primary puck carrier on a line, or a complete non-factor offensively.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What's the story there?

I don't think it's much of a story beyond a dumb teenager doing really dumb things and paying the price for it.

Still strikes me as strange that Pracey was allowed to run another draft despite some very large disparity between him and management in the 2013 draft. If he's not yer guy, then just get rid of him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still think it's hilarious that Bleackley was picked in no small part due to his "character."

To this day I still don't know why in the f***ing hell Pracey was allowed to run another draft after it was readily obvious both he and Roy were on completely different planets from the start. After the huge disagreements in 2013, Pracey should've been shown the door.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
3a177505be4126d488593166eb935839dad154fd.gifv

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd hoped for more from Jost but he's proving that the Avs can still whiff in the top 10 after all

Bleackley is on another level though. Every single 1st round pick from 2014 has played at least 30 games, except one guy, Connor Bleackley, who's played none and never will

download.jpg

Imagine the Avs with Pastrnak

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Don't look at Bleakley being a whiff. His turning up to camp as a Michelin man may have helped steer us towards Makar. With Pasta then maybe we wouldn't have a generational offensive dman with rosey cheeks to fawn over.

Reactions: AvsGuy
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I was so excited when we drafted Jost, thought he’d be a Pavelski-esque player where he would use his smarts and positioning to become a very effective player. Instead he kinda became a guy that seems to rely on physical gifts he doesn’t have.

The amount of times I’ve seen him slow down to prepare for a power move only to be bulldozed is too many for one lifetime. Svatos was a smaller guy that played big, by being ultra aggressive and reckless at times. Jost is the first smaller guy that played big where his play style is basically if he thought he was prime Joe Thornton but he comes without the size, strength and general abilities.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
We never expected he’d be a big hulking player, but he’s one of the softest guys on pucks that we’ve seen in Colorado these past few years. He gets outmuscled by almost everyone he goes against, and if he didn’t have the motor he has he’d be in the AHL right now. Been a while since we’ve seen a prayer regress at 22, but Jost has done exactly that. Consistently one of the worst players every night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad