Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
One of the most noticeable areas of why Jost has looked so good lately is that he's been able to use the entire pitch to his advantage. I've seen him confidently cut into the middle of the ice much more including with him carrying the puck in, compared to just his dump'n'chase that he's been doing for majority of his career.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The primary reasons Jost has played so much better lately IMO, are the reasons I've been saying for years.

First of all, he was clearly impacted by a lack of confidence earlier in the year that has been relieved by not being traded at the deadline. He appeared to lose confidence when the Hall rumors started. You don't play your worst hockey in your third year in the league under normal circumstances, and it's not like he's being focused on more by the opposition in a bottom 6 role.

Another reason is he's keeping his feet moving constantly. He always competed hard before, and made the right/smart play most of the time, but now his motor is running on high and he's finding himself in good scoring positions, causing more turnovers, and creating more havoc in the O zone as a result.

The last thing is he's not trying to play a Peter Forsberg style puck protections game all by himself through strength alone. He's moving his feet to get separation, he's moving the puck much quicker to his teammates down low, and they're supporting him a lot more by staying closer rather than backing away for passes that never happen because he gets double teamed and loses the puck.

If he keeps doing these things, his average skating is essentially a non factor. He just has to keep doing them.

He's (hopefully) learning how he needs to play in the NHL to be successful and hopefully also realizes he needs to do this every game. That's the key that will prevent this from being just another hot streak.

Reactions: Bender

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'd prefer him to stay at C.

Bellemare can be put on the wing. He has played on the wing his entire career.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Will not choosing Chychrun or McAvoy at 10 over YOST go down as one of Sakic's worst blunders?

For the record I think we would have taken Chych and that McAvoy wasn't on the radar.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Will not choosing Chychrun or McAvoy at 10 over YOST go down as one of Sakic's worst blunders?

For the record I think we would have taken Chych and that McAvoy wasn't on the radar.

Its absolutely asinine that a RHD with his intelligence wasn't more of a consideration.

Brown, McAvoy, and Chychrun was who I liked. Not necessarily in that order.

Although I was just sick of them trying to trade for D and not drafting their own high.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

You will go crazy if you keep looking back at old drafts like that. There is always a better player you could have picked.

Like I said, it's not unlikely Jost will be the 10th best player in this draft. It was not a horrible pick. And the two mentioned aren't super stars either, but in hindsight would have been better picks yes.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You will go crazy if you keep looking back at old drafts like that. There is always a better player you could have picked.

Like I said, it's not unlikely Jost will be the 10th best player in this draft. It was not a horrible pick. And the two mentioned aren't super stars either, but in hindsight would have been better picks yes.
There are probably a few teams that picked before us that are kicking themselves for not picking McCavoy. Just how it goes.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

For me the worst part about it is that Roy was (rightfully so) being pushed aside at this point because of past decisions and he was pushing hard for a D at 10 but they decided not to go with him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I suppose the one note of comfort the Avs (and we) can take from this is that a LOT of teams missed in the first round. Beyond a handful of players, 2016 just wasn't a very good draft.

We'll see what happens with Morrison (I still think he's NCAA FA bound) but it appears they also got a viable goalie in Werner in the fifth round. That's not nothing. We'll just see how good Werner projects to be. Even if he's a career minor leaguer that still helps the team.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I suppose the one note of comfort the Avs (and we) can take from this is that a LOT of teams missed in the first round. Beyond a handful of players, 2016 just wasn't a very good draft.

We'll see what happens with Morrison (I still think he's NCAA FA bound) but it appears they also got a viable goalie in Werner in the fifth round. That's not nothing. We'll just see how good Werner projects to be. Even if he's a career minor leaguer that still helps the team.
At least we can take solace in the fact that we didn't whiff nearly as hard as Winnipeg did with their first rounder.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I could go read that thread but I remember very differently and will trust my memory on this.
The human memory is very flawed. Factual evidence is not.

Based on the draft thread and and his own thred, I'd say 80% were happy with Bleackley.

(I did say I want Pasta though. But that's easy for me to say cause I had seen him play, I had not seen Bleackley or othere CHL players ranked in the same area)

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The human memory is very flawed. Factual evidence is not.

Based on the draft thread and and his own thred, I'd say 80% were happy with Bleackley.

(I did say I want Pasta though. But that's easy for me to say cause I had seen him play, I had not seen Bleackley or othere CHL players ranked in the same area)

I blame you for not being louder about Pasta. Like banging on the Pepsi center doors and putting spam in Joe's mail box. Wtf?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I remember mine being, "This was a complete and utter waste of a pick" but I don't remember if I commented. Regardless, I remember the sentiment being Herd 2.0
Again, wrong: 23rd Overall - Conner Bleackley

Page six is when it gets good. The biggest criticism of the pick in the first half of that thread is "safe," which still seemed to be a middle six player. Significantly more than Heard was projecting to be at the time.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
He honestly could have ended up being a “safe” prospect had he not been a lazy complacent pile of shit that regressed, got fat out of shape and stripped of his captaincy. What a weird series of events.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad