Prospect Info: Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Faster, also quicker in his movements, stronger with his board play. Those early season lower body injuries REALLY set him back.

For sure. Bednar mentioned it in his radio interview yesterday as well. Just when Jost would start to get somewhat comfortable, he'd get hurt again. His strength on the puck is one of the main things Bednar praised about his recent play. He said he has been one of the best on the team when he's controlling the puck in the offensive zone.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he's also just mentally adjusting to the speed of the NHL game, too. He looks faster because he's anticipating the play and driving it rather than reacting. It took a bit, and the injuries also played a role, but he's getting it.

Reactions: avsfan09 and cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think he's also just mentally adjusting to the speed of the NHL game, too. He looks faster because he's anticipating the play and driving it rather than reacting. It took a bit, and the injuries also played a role, but he's getting it.

That's exactly what it is. It was the groin injury early on hurting his skating which was a bit of a weakness, and that time off affecting his conditioning and timing. Since then he's just slowly getting in game shape, and getting that timing back. He's also been slowly adjusting to the NHL pace, but he also has clearly continued to work on his skating. He's looked much quicker the last few weeks.

He's taking the ROR path. He's a very low maintence player from a coaching perspective, and his confidence, skills, and two way play aren't a big concern, so they can afford to bring him along slowly in the NHL in a small role during his rookie year.

Next year I think he'll have a big jump in level of play. He'll be even bigger and quicker, and will have a year under his belt in the NHL. Plus hopefully a full camp and pre-season to get in shape before the season when it's tough to do. I have a feeling his production will be much higher because of it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Yep. It makes it so much more exciting to see where he'll be next year when he adds that little bit more quickness and strength to his toolset now that things are starting to slow down for him. Would love to see him get some time with MacK n Mikko when that happens...if not this season still...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yep. It makes it so much more exciting to see where he'll be next year when he adds that little bit more quickness and strength to his toolset now that things are starting to slow down for him. Would love to see him get some time with MacK n Mikko when that happens...if not this season still...

Can we please not split up Landy-MacK-Rants? ;)

We finally have a dominate 1st line for the first time in many years. It would be nice to keep that going instead of splitting it up.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He's a center and should remain a center. He's getting time with those guys on the PP.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can we please not split up Landy-MacK-Rants? ;)

We finally have a dominate 1st line for the first time in many years. It would be nice to keep that going instead of splitting it up.

I wouldn't split them up...but giving Jost a look in that spot the next time Landy gets suspended or is too banged up to play? I'm all for that...if they look just as, or even more dominant with Jost there? Well then we could talk about making the switch and putting Landy with Soda again; but for now I'm just curious how it would look if we get the chance to try it out.
He's a center and should remain a center. He's getting time with those guys on the PP.

That chemistry they are starting to show on the PP is what intrigues me. I agree that whether he's at Center or wing makes a big difference with Kerfoot's game (at this point), but Jost and Compher look just as effective on the wing to me :dunno:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That chemistry they are starting to show on the PP is what intrigues me. I agree that whether he's at Center or wing makes a big difference with Kerfoot's game (at this point), but Jost and Compher look just as effective on the wing to me :dunno:

He looks fine at wing but we need someone to fill that 2nd line center spot and I'd prefer they give him every opportunity to become that guy. Let him take his bumps and continue developing as a center.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Center, wing, I don't care so long as the lethal combination of a goalie who freezes too many pucks, a d-man who ices the puck enough to start his own bakery, and the worst faceoff win % in the league by a country mile does not continue into next season.

I still think that 2C role is his to lose, unless they see something in the FA/trade market they can't pass up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't split them up...but giving Jost a look in that spot the next time Landy gets suspended or is too banged up to play? I'm all for that...if they look just as, or even more dominant with Jost there? Well then we could talk about making the switch and putting Landy with Soda again; but for now I'm just curious how it would look if we get the chance to try it out.

I just don't see the point of trying to split up a dominate 1st line. It is a line that is producing and playing like a top 5 line. Right now it is carrying the team on its own... and Landy is just not a player that can do that for other lines (as we have seen over many years). He is a great player, but just not that guy. If you're wanting to move around to balance scoring and elevate a line, you move Rants to a different line. FTR I do not support that either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just don't see the point of trying to split up a dominate 1st line. It is a line that is producing and playing like a top 5 line. Right now it is carrying the team on its own... and Landy is just not a player that can do that for other lines (as we have seen over many years). He is a great player, but just not that guy. If you're wanting to move around to balance scoring and elevate a line, you move Rants to a different line. FTR I do not support that either.

In part, it's because I think the line could be even more unstoppable with Jost next to MacK n Mikko...as early as some point next season...and because even though Landy can't carry a line offensively, he can play a big roll in creating an elite shutdown line with a center like Soda or Staz. With Compher on the RW of that line (assuming Comeau isn't brought back) that is a line that I'd feel comfortable throwing out against any line in the league and trust them to get the puck up ice.

So if we got a chance to test drive Jost on that top line and it became even more lethal, we could then put together a second line that could be trusted against any in the league, even without german-bae.

I wouldn't break up the top line to see if that's how it played out, but I'd definitely like to see how they do with Jost in that spot whenever Landy isn't in the lineup.

We see how much more comfortable Landeskog and Rantanen are with MacKinnon. Let's not disrupt that by sticking Jost there, especially on the wing.

That's not what I'm advocating. I'm just saying that if Landy happens to miss a game next season (crazy I know) and we can't just wave a wand to get him back on the ice, then...in that circumstance were Landy isn't an option for that spot...try Jost there until Landy is back.

...while Landy is suspend/out...and only when Landy is not an option for that spot instead.

Will it help if I repeat it one more time?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In part, it's because I think the line could be even more unstoppable with Jost next to MacK n Mikko...as early as some point next season...and because even though Landy can't carry a line offensively, he can play a big roll in creating an elite shutdown line with a center like Soda or Staz. With Compher on the RW of that line (assuming Comeau isn't brought back) that is a line that I'd feel comfortable throwing out against any line in the league and trust them to get the puck up ice.

So if we got a chance to test drive Jost on that top line and it became even more lethal, we could then put together a second line that could be trusted against any in the league, even without german-bae.

I wouldn't break up the top line to see if that's how it played out, but I'd definitely like to see how they do with Jost in that spot whenever Landy isn't in the lineup.

I don't see such a high end ability in Jost that he can make a large difference in skill on that line, especially when most of the work that Landy has to do is without the puck. No matter how you slice Jost on the line, he's a 3rd wheel and will have the least amount of puck time on the line. MacK and Mikko are just that good. Landy can thrive in situations where he is without the puck and his main job is to open of space and be tenacious. Jost hasn't proven that, and really doesn't have the frame or strength to do that (more about the opening up space). Along with it, Jost is good with the puck. It is one of the biggest strengths to his game. He should have it on his stick. Putting him on that line takes the puck away, and doesn't give him many chances to develop comfort with it at the NHL level.

Reactions: Spender

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

That's not what I'm advocating. I'm just saying that if Landy happens to miss a game next season (crazy I know) and we can't just wave a wand to get him back on the ice, then...in that circumstance were Landy isn't an option for that spot...try Jost there until Landy is back.

...while Landy is suspend/out...and only when Landy is not an option for that spot instead.

Will it help if I repeat it one more time?

I think that’d Be helpful, yes. I’m staaaarting to come around.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see such a high end ability in Jost that he can make a large difference in skill on that line, especially when most of the work that Landy has to do is without the puck. No matter how you slice Jost on the line, he's a 3rd wheel and will have the least amount of puck time on the line. MacK and Mikko are just that good. Landy can thrive in situations where he is without the puck and his main job is to open of space and be tenacious. Jost hasn't proven that, and really doesn't have the frame or strength to do that (more about the opening up space). Along with it, Jost is good with the puck. It is one of the biggest strengths to his game. He should have it on his stick. Putting him on that line takes the puck away, and doesn't give him many chances to develop comfort with it at the NHL level.

Space can be created through speed and skill moving the puck, as we've seen through the hawks n penguins, and that's something that Landy has a really negative effect on in his stonehands periods. Jost is well on his way to being a very high-end two-way player and forechecker; and as Mikko continues to realize how big & strong he is, he & MacK will create enough space physically. So the benefit to the line's cohesion with the puck should outweigh the benefit they currently rely on from landy's physicality. Maybe I just over-rate the skill gap between Jost & Landy :dunno:

...and maybe this is just cause I've been watching soccer today, a sport in which skill & intelligence now dominate over the physicality & brute strength that dominated the 80s, 90s, & early 2000s. But creative cohesion does so much more to create space consistently as long as everyone is skilled enough to keep things flowing quickly & smoothly.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Space can be created through speed and skill moving the puck, as we've seen through the hawks n penguins, and that's something that Landy has a really negative effect on in his stonehands periods. Jost is well on his way to being a very high-end two-way player and forechecker; and as Mikko continues to realize how big & strong he is, he & MacK will create enough space physically. So the benefit to the line's cohesion with the puck should outweigh the benefit they currently rely on from landy's physicality. Maybe I just over-rate the skill gap between Jost & Landy :dunno:

...and maybe this is just cause I've been watching soccer today, a sport in which skill & intelligence now dominate over the physicality & brute strength that dominated the 80s, 90s, & early 2000s. But creative cohesion does so much more to create space consistently as long as everyone is skilled enough to keep things flowing quickly & smoothly.

I think you are overrating the skill gap a bit, but I think you need a different element on that line than what Jost can directly bring himself. Not that Jost would be bad on that line, but that there is no net positive in adding Jost on that line over Landy... and it limits Jost from being as impactful as he can. Jost has really good skill with the puck, he needs to have it and putting him on that line would limit his chances with the puck dramatically.

The Hawks and Pens always tend to have a good mix on their lines. I don't see the correlation of them having 3 players like Jost-MacK-Rants on a line.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
he's a gamer he will be a gem no doubt like mikko. I find it interesting both were 10th overall picks and could end up the 2nd and 3rd best 10th overall picks in NHL history

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
he's a gamer he will be a gem no doubt like mikko. I find it interesting both were 10th overall picks and could end up the 2nd and 3rd best 10th overall picks in NHL history

Ok I don’t know off the top of my head who’s gone 10th overall in NHL drafts, but let’s pump the brakes a little here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ok I don’t know off the top of my head who’s gone 10th overall in NHL drafts, but let’s pump the brakes a little here.

Well, the Avs' history with the 10th overall pick has gone better than Vancouver's has. Seriously, go check out their draft history and see what's happened when they picked 10th.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad