Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie signs two-year deal ($2.6M AAV link #324)

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I wouldn't call myself an Elliott believer, but that doesn't mean his skating and wrister aren't special tools for a prospect to bring to the table.

I think people oversell his potential based on these two attributes though. Sure, he's a great skater and has a great wrist shot. But he doesn't have particularly good vision as a set up man and isn't a threat for a one timer which means he's limited on the PP where you hope to get the most utility out of him. Then there's the fact that he's a terrible defender and you don't get too many chances to show off your pretty wrister if you're always hemmed in your own zone. It would be one thing if he'd been slowly taking steps in the right direction but he hasn't.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-new-nhl-rules-and-summer-news/
22. An RFA’s other choice is following Tyson Barrie. In the summer of 2012-13, the Avalanche offered him a new contract with some term, but Barrie bet on himself, thinking he could do better on performance and salary. He did, with 13 goals and 38 points. That led to a nice raise. Barrie was fifth on Colorado in ice-time per game, so imagine what his next number will be if he keeps this going.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think people oversell his potential based on these two attributes though. Sure, he's a great skater and has a great wrist shot. But he doesn't have particularly good vision as a set up man and isn't a threat for a one timer which means he's limited on the PP where you hope to get the most utility out of him. Then there's the fact that he's a terrible defender and you don't get too many chances to show off your pretty wrister if you're always hemmed in your own zone. It would be one thing if he'd been slowly taking steps in the right direction but he hasn't.

That's pretty harsh, his development has been very slow since that first call up all those years ago, but it's been there , he was LEM's best player last year and he did make strides defensively, though he does still have far to go, or at least did before this summer. I also think you're underselling his vision with the puck, atleast when he's confident, like he has been at times in the A.

This is a make or break year for him, but although I'm skeptical I haven't written him off completely yet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting they wanted to extend him last summer before he really arrived. Well good for Barrie, he earned his raise.

Yea, very interesting but not too surprising when you think about it. You would have to assume it was a two way deal since he hadn't even made the NHL yet. Not surprising that he wouldn't sign it without another year of proving himself.

The Avs have definitely shown a strategy of signing guys a season early. Clearly looking to lock guys in to a good price before they have breakout seasons in a contract year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be interesting to see if that's a concerted strategy or just a function of how many extensions they still had to deal with open taking over. I figure that the priorities for next summer are to lock MacK and Barrie in alongside coming out of FA with a legit EJ partner like Sekera or erhoff. Hopefully they can get that done with enough money to pay ROR what he wants on a long term deal still to work with.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So the last offseason, the Front Office had talks about extending Barrie, O'Reilly, Duchene and Landeskog right?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Yea, very interesting but not too surprising when you think about it. You would have to assume it was a two way deal since he hadn't even made the NHL yet. Not surprising that he wouldn't sign it without another year of proving himself.

The Avs have definitely shown a strategy of signing guys a season early. Clearly looking to lock guys in to a good price before they have breakout seasons in a contract year.

On that note, hopefully they can lock Mackinnon up next summer!

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I'm hoping for 8 years, $52 million. Hopefully cheaper if he struggles a bit this year, but I doubt he'll sign for that much term if that's the case.

I'd be ecstatic for anything under 7 million for 7-8 years. Has all the talent in the world and the drive to be the best. So happy we have him and Duchene down the gut!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So the last offseason, the Front Office had talks about extending Barrie, O'Reilly, Duchene and Landeskog right?

Yeah, so they tried to sign the entire core.

I know everyone thinks MacKinnon is going to get a truckload but I seriously think it will be reasonable. He still has 4 RFA years to get through. He's not getting 8 million or whatever on this deal. I hope they offer him 8x6, which would be more comparatively than the Duchene and Landy deals. He's just not getting 8m over RFA years. But whatever it takes, I don't care how much they pay him.

Are there going to be a lot of holdouts or what? Surprised so many RFAs dragging it out.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah, so they tried to sign the entire core.

I know everyone thinks MacKinnon is going to get a truckload but I seriously think it will be reasonable. He still has 4 RFA years to get through. He's not getting 8 million or whatever on this deal. I hope they offer him 8x6, which would be more comparatively than the Duchene and Landy deals. He's just not getting 8m over RFA years. But whatever it takes, I don't care how much they pay him.

Are there going to be a lot of holdouts or what? Surprised so many RFAs dragging it out.

don't ever see Duchene, landeskog and mackinnon being difficult to resign.

I say 8 yrs 6.25/per as an extension for mac after his elc

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hope you guys are right, but if he hits 30-40 like he very well may, I think we should be psyched if we can go just 7per over 7-8 years

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
If MacKinnon scores 30g/50a this year, I expect him to sign an extension along the lines of $7.5m per for 5 years. If it includes UFA years, expect those to cost $10m per.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If MacKinnon scores 30g/50a this year, I expect him to sign an extension along the lines of $7.5m per for 5 years. If it includes UFA years, expect those to cost $10m per.

That's a little crazy. You don't get paid Kane/Toews money for simply having a 80 pt season. They're the only ones making $10M+ for a reason.

I do think they'll lock him up next year though at the earliest, and it will be long term for around $7M.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on his agent. If it is the same as ROR, and he progresses, I'm sure the starting price will be Alaska.

Same agent as Duchene IIRC.

I would rather have a 3 year deal for MacK, and then give him an 8 year deal... but that probably isn't realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad